• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Overtake! Episodes 1-12 Anime Review

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:28 pm Reply with quote
The whole season just felt like everyone should've been going to a therapist. Utter waste of time with some of the worst characters of the year.
Maleko Ai

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I really liked the underrated anime of the season.
Glordit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I too enjoyed this more than I expected.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:50 pm Reply with quote
One of the most underrated series of 2023. Anime-original series are hard to come by. They'll become even rarer if people don't watch them.
WizardOfOss

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Not perfect, but definitely a solid series. I think it did most of the racing right: realistic and clearly showing the differences between big and small teams, while not going overboard with details only hardcore race fans would enjoy. As for the sound: What bothered me most was the sound at the start of each race, but mostly because that was just very unrealistic. But other than that, no complaints.

And a lot of the same can be said about the drama: It felt real. And the social media reaction on that photo actually made me a bit angry, just because yes, too often that exactly is how social media reacts nowadays.

At the start of the season I had my hopes up for MF Ghost and had somewhat mixed expectations for this one, but in the end this much exceeded those expectations while MFG turned out very disappointing.

Last edited by WizardOfOss on Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
jmckenna15

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Honestly I'd give the animation a higher grade for the racing scenes alone. It didn't look phoned in and it look genuinely thrilling -- like a game of Gran Turismo. Plus, the drone shots in the final shots amped up the overall resolution and gave the final race a genuine sense of gravitas. Also I liked Haruka's committment to this tiny little team even though he had an offer for Belsorriso to come on board and advance up the ladder in a way his own team couldn't provide. He wanted to win with the guys that got him there and that's just cool to see.

I did find Satsuki very endearing as a character. He's on a top-flight team with dreams of making the big time and he -- rather fittingly -- looks up to the late-great James Hunt as his idol (both flamboyant showman racers with a penchant for pretty girls and going fast). I don't think the Nikki Lauda comparisons worked especially well though, particularly comparing his injury (a couple broken ribs and a broken leg) to Lauda's at the Nürburgring (collapsed lung, permanent disfigurement, was given Last Rites due to just how badly he was burned alive, and the mental strain caused him to abandon the 1976 final in Japan). Even if it was to show that he was becoming a more thoughtful, strategic driver to up his game (which Lauda was all about), it kind of made it seem like Hunt was an inferior idol by comparison -- even though both were World Champions.

That's just the racing geek in me talking, but the Hunt-Lauda story is fascinating on its own and i was tickled by how it made it into this anime (also watch Rush, great film). Shows that the writers really did go the extra mile to make this a racing show that fans and amateurs can both enjoy.

Also I'm very pro-Grid Girl. With how predictable F1 has been lately, we need some reason to keep watching Wink
jmckenna15

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:10 pm Reply with quote
WizardOfOss wrote:
Not perfect, but definitely a solid series. I think it did most of the racing right: realistic and clearly showing the differences between big and small teams, while not going overboard with details only hardcore race fans would enjoy.

Focusing on just tires was a smart move. It kept it from getting too Gear Head-ish and focused on an aspect that is easily digestable -- namely how expensive racing tires are and just how many you go through in practices and in races. It also helped highlight the dispartities between big and small teams because of how much it limited Haruka's abilities where it wasn't a problem for Belsorriso that could afford to keep the tires coming.
WizardOfOss

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:11 pm Reply with quote
jmckenna15 wrote:
Also I'm very pro-Grid Girl. With how predictable F1 has been lately, we need some reason to keep watching Wink

F1 predictable? I'd say the fight for the last 19 places has been pretty exciting this year!
Matcha.8

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see a review of Overtake here. An underrated gem of this season indeed. I do find the B grade given for the animation and art, which Rebecca didn't write about in the body of review at all, a bit perplexing. While not flashy (part of it is due to the more muted color scheme but even then, the color grading is top notch), the animation and art of the series has been consistently excellent, especially on the character animation and storyboarding front. Even the 3D components of the racing scenes are very well integrated into the overall animation.
The_Daytona_500

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Went into this expecting it to be AOTY, so was disappointed that it only came out as the 2nd best anime of the year. Have no idea what people here in the polls were smoking.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I could've sworn I'd given it higher animation grades, but apparently I thought I did and somehow didn't?

In any event, this was the rare anime I could talk to my dad about and it made him feel even more proud that he got a V6 engine from a junkyard for us to take apart when I was a teenager.
SinisterOracle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:08 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed Overtake! this season. I also watched MF Ghost, so it was nice to see two different types of racing and the different focuses of what made the anime come alive.
kawaiiguy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:42 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed Overtake. As a car enthusiast, I watched both this and MF Ghost and realized I wanted different things out of them. After a few episodes, I wanted more story out of Overtake and didn't care that there wasn't more racing. With MFG, it was the exact opposite: give me more cars and less about the side charachters.

One area that specifically impressed me about Overtake was the attention to detail. They had (spent the money on) real logos of car companies, equipment, and track. It made the series feel more cemented in reality, rather than being a districating wink and nod.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:51 am Reply with quote
Underrated show of the season. Don't know anything about cars or F4, but it was easy to follow and learn, and the photographer's story was the main hook for me.
RacingManiac

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Watched this over the weekend as to catch up on last season. I really enjoyed this show. I watched I think 3 episode of MF Ghost and I dropped that despite being a big fan of Initial D. This shows feels to me more like Initial D in terms of how grounded it feels to "our world" than MF Ghost was, and I think takes a much more realistic approach to racing as well. Though racing in this really is just mechanism to propel the story forward about people dealing with traumas. As someone with interest in both car racing and photography the protagonists are both interesting to me in those ways, while having Makoto being a novice to the racing world gives the viewers a POV to be introduced into the world of openwheel feeder series like F4. There are no overly dramatic racing action or unnecessary villain or antagonists(well the Suzuka in the rain episode is probably the most outlandish), but the drama is still compelling. I also like the 3 drivers we followed in the story all have good amount of time showing their motivations and character development. Tokunaga and Satsuki both started out looking like generic characters but given time to really show their inner struggles. I also find it fascinating that it is this show about racing that actually has element taking the 3/11 earthquake head on, something even takes Makoto Shinkai 3 feature length movies to do.

Also in terms of being ground in reality, real car companies, race tracks, the kind of struggles a small team faces, they all feel true to life. Whereas MF Ghost feels like a fantasy setting with the clothes of real life draped over. Vastly different from the world of Initial D I remembered.

Also interesting ANN's reviewer mentioned the racing queen aspect to this show, which arguably by anime standard, is pretty damn tame in terms of sexualization or exaggerating body proportion. One of the big aspect that turned me off from MF Ghost was the aspect of that show's depiction of race queen, with the leery camera ogling the character. Initial D was at times a horny show, but they never really stood to that level of treatment as often.

And while I can tell MF Ghost has way more budget in terms of its CG racing, they never felt as good Initial D did to me since second stage. I do kinda wonder for shows like Overtake if they can't even just use Gran Turismo's game engine or something to render its races(all the tracks shown in this show are in GT7), which might actually be several steps above the production in this show...

Original anime like Overtake probably won't get any more material from here on out, but its cool they made this show and it was as good as it was.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1