• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sengoku Youko (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:19 pm Reply with quote

Season 01 (1st part): Sengoku Youko (TV)
Season 01 (2nd part): Sengoku Youko (TV 2)

Source: Manga (completed @ 17 volumes, by Satoshi Mizukami)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: White Fox

Genres: action, adventure, comedy, drama, supernatural

Themes: demi-humans, demons, mythology, Sengoku period, sorcery, transformations

Plot Summary: The world is divided into two factions: humans and monsters called katawara. Despite being a katawara, Tama loves humans and vows to protect them from evil, even if it means fighting her own kind. Her stepbrother Jinka, however, hates humans, despite mostly being one. The siblings are joined by a cowardly swordsman named Shinsuke, who wants to learn how to become strong.

Air Date & Platform:
Season 01 (1st part): January 10, 2024 (Wednesday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Season 01 (2nd part): July 2024
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 01 (1st part): 13 episodes
Season 01 (2nd part): Pending

Total: 13 episodes
----------------------------------

Manga's done, so that gives me high hope of no filler and good pacing. I'm also a sucker for any kind of Warring States/Kingdoms period, and the fantasy vibe just makes it that more intriguing.

Last edited by Tony K. on Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:22 pm Reply with quote
This one started of pretty decent. The world in which humans and Katawara collide is interesting enough. Jinka and Tama make for a fun duo (especially Tama with her world improvement plan) and Shinsuke will probably grow on me over time (I assume that he will actually get stronger/less fearful). The action looks okay and the abilities shown are fun, especially Jinka's transformation.

So yeah, not wowed or anything, but solid enough.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

Any show wishing to engage my affection certainly can do worse than prominently feature a cute fox girl. I likes me some cute fox girls. Must be the ears. And yet another Japanese word for... monsters? Spirits? I dunno, but katawara is a new one on me. Seems like I'm in smurky's camp... liking it but not salivating with delight necessarily.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Agreed. This episode went by pretty painlessly and even had some interesting moments, but somehow at the end I wasn't looking forward to the next episode. I wasn't yawning at the prospect of watching it either. I liked the Fox girl's idealistic Chuunibyou routine, and the elder bro's ability to hold back his hatred of humans actually created some tension instead of just making his sneering contempt annoying. The swordsman...yeah, his typical shoujo antics were just meh to me. And the animation was barely par. And the humans all suck if I'm right and those monks are concealing a secret that involves wronging that bear katawara.

All that kind of balances out to a huh. Okay. Traditionally the kind of show that I drop once I start to feel burdened by having so many anime on my plate unless something changes.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:14 am Reply with quote
Well, with the second episode we now seem to have identified the monks as being the primary antagonists in the series. They claim to fight for humanity, yet their methods are anything but praiseworthy and they will stomp out anyone who gets in their way. I doubt that the gang will easily win, being overconfident and this early on in the series I expect a loss due to some powerful opponents popping up.

I am still not that excited by the show, but it is an enjoyable watch and new characters are slowly being added to the group.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

It's like I always say... ya can't trust a damn monk. Yes, looks like the trio has a new member of the party. Nothing wrong with adding a semi-hot chick to the mix.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Yup, episode 3 showed that the monks are not defeated that easily. Besides all the action the episode also provided in a bit of character development and background information. It also seems like an assassin is on the way.

The show is still nothing special and I am unsure if I am gonna see it until the end, but for now it is good enough.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Well, episode 1 to 5 were basically the introduction and the show is still good enough to keep watching. The fights are pretty good and dragon dude in particular is one hell of an opponent. I am also interested in if a certain sword wielding loudmouth will become a skilled warrior at some point.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

I can't believe it's taken me this long to figure out but clearly this show owes a bit of a debt to Inuyasha. Set in a similar time period, a comedic tone, a travelling team and deals with half-demons/half-humans (including a character that has white hair in demon form and black hair in human form with a generally grouchy attitude). Hell, a show can do a lot worse than remind peeps of Inuyasha in a good way, that's for sure.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:50 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it does indeed have a lot in common with that one when it comes to the setting, the over all conflict and the vibe switching between comedic and serious. Quality wise I would sooner compare it to Yashahime though.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Huh, well, with the last episode it is a bit less like Yashahime. I expected plenty of fights and excitement, but one of the mc group dying was not on the list. A real pity too given that she had been a part of the group for only like 4 episodes or so.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

Well, that sucked. Hard. Part of me hopes that she'll be brought back in some fashion (after all, right now she's a boulder) but on the other hand it would be kind of cheesy to do so after making it seem like she is dead. Why couldn't it have been Shinsuke instead? I wouldn't have missed him in the slightest. I'm kind of torn. There is no question that when something like this happens, it has an emotional power. But then the flipside is that there is a character missing from the show that you enjoyed. Not sure it's worth it. Oh well.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:19 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

Hey, you know what? This show has become pretty darn awesome. I've always been enjoying it, but recently it seems to have kicked up into a higher gear despite the sad event of episode 7. Thoroughly enjoying this. Ms Minor Mountain Deity is great!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1