×
  • remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
First Episode Impression: Blue Archive the Animation




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
bassgs435



Joined: 21 Mar 2015
Posts: 284
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 10:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Why do all the girls have halos? Why do some, but not all, of them have animal ears? Why do they all have guns? Why do the guns fire seemingly real bullets but bounce off these girls like Nerf darts


Fun fact; According to game players: the game has yet to answer any of this except the last. Apparently the halos provide protection to the girls, So this isn't the anime being for game players. It's simply not answering what the game has yet to answer even in a much later stage of the story


Last edited by bassgs435 on Fri May 24, 2024 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Glordit



Joined: 11 Sep 2020
Posts: 537
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 10:40 am Reply with quote
So, the quality sucks on all fronts. No surprises there!

YouTube actually supports webVVT which uses CSS and can create some decent subtitle styling. It appears that Nexon just doesn't want to put in any real effort.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pikagreg



Joined: 04 Jan 2017
Posts: 9
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 11:10 am Reply with quote
Not sure about the quality of the translation but at least it isn't the Ani-One subs. The Japanese Blu-rays have English subs on them so the subs on YouTube will probably end up being the same on home video (but with text code stuff working)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kougeru



Joined: 13 May 2008
Posts: 5539
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 11:50 am Reply with quote
The subtitle issue just shows laziness, honestly. As mentioned by Glordit, YouTube has rather robust caption settings that can look very nice, including color and stylization options per character. They just didn't put any effort into doing that here. So calling YouTube "limited" isn't really accurate here, it's just different and they're using it wrong.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Nate148



Joined: 24 May 2012
Posts: 478
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 12:09 pm Reply with quote
the halos and girls taking shots and being fine are just parts of the world unexplained and every student in this world has a gun during the railgun crossover the crossover cast get into messes because of lacking guns. Much of how the world works seems to be setup for loar later on
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Aerdra



Joined: 02 Feb 2022
Posts: 344
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Some viewers hate when shows explain the setting right away, others hate when shows don't explain. Can't satisfy everyone.

That said, I agree with the reviewer that the story thus far isn't exactly unique. The first couple chapters of Foreclosure Task Force does a good job of introducing players to the world of Blue Archive and works fine as a standalone story, but it isn't anything special. The foreshadowing in the first few scenes, along with several name drops throughout the episode, won't be covered this season. If the anime gets another season, I hope it'd skip ahead to Eden Treaty, which is when the story really starts to distinguish itself.

Kougeru wrote:
The subtitle issue just shows laziness, honestly. As mentioned by Glordit, YouTube has rather robust caption settings that can look very nice, including color and stylization options per character. They just didn't put any effort into doing that here. So calling YouTube "limited" isn't really accurate here, it's just different and they're using it wrong.

They're a game publisher, not an anime distributor. Anime is usually licensed to paid streaming services that handle these kinds of tasks, not streamed for free on YouTube.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Glordit



Joined: 11 Sep 2020
Posts: 537
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 3:04 am Reply with quote
Aerdra wrote:
Some viewers hate when shows explain the setting right away, others hate when shows don't explain. Can't satisfy everyone.

That said, I agree with the reviewer that the story thus far isn't exactly unique. The first couple chapters of Foreclosure Task Force does a good job of introducing players to the world of Blue Archive and works fine as a standalone story, but it isn't anything special. The foreshadowing in the first few scenes, along with several name drops throughout the episode, won't be covered this season. If the anime gets another season, I hope it'd skip ahead to Eden Treaty, which is when the story really starts to distinguish itself.

Kougeru wrote:
The subtitle issue just shows laziness, honestly. As mentioned by Glordit, YouTube has rather robust caption settings that can look very nice, including color and stylization options per character. They just didn't put any effort into doing that here. So calling YouTube "limited" isn't really accurate here, it's just different and they're using it wrong.

They're a game publisher, not an anime distributor. Anime is usually licensed to paid streaming services that handle these kinds of tasks, not streamed for free on YouTube.


A multimillion-dollar company can't' spare some change for some quality checking? They definitely have someone doing QC for their translations in the games.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hellsoldier



Joined: 21 Jun 2013
Posts: 776
Location: Porto,Portugal,Europe,Earth,Sol
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 9:33 pm Reply with quote
So, this reached legal streaming in the West, but Girls Band Cry hasn't...

Okay.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Aerdra



Joined: 02 Feb 2022
Posts: 344
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 12:10 am Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:
So, this reached legal streaming in the West, but Girls Band Cry hasn't...

Well, it's only legal because it's free on YouTube (in certain regions), which suggests that they couldn't resolve licensing issues and just gave up.

Glordit wrote:
A multimillion-dollar company can't' spare some change for some quality checking? They definitely have someone doing QC for their translations in the games.

Again, it's not really their job. The YouTube channel is responsible for promoting the game; it usually uploads one-minute PVs about in-game news. I don't think it was expected to handle half-hour anime episodes.

EDIT
Also, the subtitle problem highlighted in the review has been fixed.


Last edited by Aerdra on Sun May 26, 2024 4:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DRosencraft



Joined: 27 Apr 2010
Posts: 666
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 1:29 am Reply with quote
Aerdra wrote:
...
Again, it's not really their job. The YouTube channel is responsible for promoting the game; it usually uploads one-minute PVs about in-game news. I don't think it was expected to handle half-hour anime episodes.


I think you're missing the point, however. It literally is their job, since they chose to put it online.

I'm usually loathe to drop the "lazy" tag on a company for what could just as easily be well intentioned screw up. But even if free streaming on YouTube was a last resort (which I also doubt, as that hardly makes a lick of sense), a company that has as much money as they do could quite easily hire someone to do the work that wasn't done here on a basic level. It's not as if there's any schedule or deadline they had to meet. Did they just wake up one day and say, "let's put this on YouTube tonight" or did the promotional arm running the YouTube channel just take it upon themselves to just throw the anime up online? This was a decision that had to have been discussed, a course of action they chose to take in terms of what preparation they'd do, how they'd handle release, etc. It would speak to even greater incompetence to say that no one involved even considered these issues to be a possibility, as this is basic stuff. They could have taken the little bit of time it would have required to do things properly and present the product as competently as possible. What they've presented shows a lack of almost any care to do that work.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group