• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hayao Miyazaki, Goro Miyazaki Appear in TV Documentary

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wooga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I would really like to see this as a bonus feature included on the DVD when it is released in the US eventually.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:47 am Reply with quote
Don't they supposedly hate each other? I'm to see them working together on anything.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:55 am Reply with quote
They better explain why they don't make 'badass anime' and always opt to go for cute fantasy. They never go for things on the same level as Ghost In The Shell, Akira or Cowboy Bebop, all of which are great anime films

And I personally would pick Street Fighter II: The Animated movie (dubbed version) over any Ghibli movie any day of the week.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:33 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Don't they supposedly hate each other? I'm to see them working together on anything.

Hayao wrote the screenplay for Goro's new movie.

TopGunman wrote:
They better explain why they don't make 'badass anime' and always opt to go for cute fantasy. They never go for things on the same level as Ghost In The Shell, Akira or Cowboy Bebop, all of which are great anime films.

Miyazaki thinks gekiga style anime is targeted for niche audience and he also thinks animation should be targeted mainly for children.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:46 am Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
They better explain why they don't make 'badass anime' and always opt to go for cute fantasy.

As far as they're concerned, they aren't making "anime." But I'm sure they'd appreciate your guidance.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:15 am Reply with quote
I'd like to see this -- wonder if anyone will translate it?

v1cious wrote:

It says they both appear in it -- that doesn't necessarily mean they had to be in the same room together. But as Ryo Hazuki indicates, "hate" might be too strong a word. As far as I can tell, Hayao tries to undermine anything his son does, and Goro fantasizes about patricide, but apart from that they'd probably get on fine if they ever actually happened to meet each other. Razz
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
v1cious wrote:

Hayao wrote the screenplay for Goro's new movie.

There's also some debate in places about whether or not Hayao storyboarded much of the film. If he did storyboard more than 70%, he might as well be co-director since storyboards are basically the backbone of an animated film.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:

Miyazaki thinks gekiga style anime is targeted for niche audience and he also thinks animation should be targeted mainly for children.

If that's the case then he's an outdated fool. And that'd make him a hypocrite since it's HIS company that made Grave of the Fireflies, which I'll admit, is a good anime film. But it sure as hell is NOT for kids.

Now I'm not saying kids anime is a bad thing, but Ghibli has little variety in genre to the point where a different company like Madhouse taking on a kids anime would seem more interesting because they'll do it differently and do a good job as well, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time for example. The only difference is, the non-Ghiblis don't shove the message down your throat.
Peroxid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:56 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
If that's the case then he's an outdated fool.

Nevertheless he's the most popular and successful "animation" director out there (at least in Japan)...
TopGunman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:43 am Reply with quote
Peroxid wrote:

Nevertheless he's the most popular and successful "animation" director out there (at least in Japan)...

Well, when you're main target is families or kids, you're bound to sell more tickets. But that doesn't make him 'the best' - Artistically, I wouldn't rate him high at all, (little girl has to save parents, seen that a zillion times. Girl falls for pretty boy, seen that 10 zillion times). As a businessman on the other hand, he certainly knows how to bring in a crowed and make cash. I'll give him that.

--------------------------------------------------

Speaking of which, it's an insult to great artists like Rumiko Takahashi, greatest female comic artist IN THE WORLD, Akira Toriyama, Hiromu Arakawa and all the people who make Shonen and Seinen manga, when a guy like Miyazaki is so full of himself and says 'animation is solely for kids' when these people's works are usually aimed towards teenagers and young adults. Not to mention Osamu Tezuka, he's had darker-themed works like Black Jack, and that guy is more important than Miyazaki ever will be.
Peroxid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:07 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
Well, when you're main target is families or kids, you're bound to sell more tickets. But that doesn't make him 'the best' - Artistically, I wouldn't rate him high at all, (little girl has to save parents, seen that a zillion times. Girl falls for pretty boy, seen that 10 zillion times). As a businessman on the other hand, he certainly knows how to bring in a crowed and make cash. I'll give him that.

Although I'm a big fan of his I never said he's the best, I just wanted to point out that he's anything but a "fool" and he knows exactly what he's doing.

Quote:
Speaking of which, it's an insult to great artists like Rumiko Takahashi, greatest female comic artist IN THE WORLD, Akira Toriyama, Hiromu Arakawa and all the people who make Shonen and Seinen manga, when a guy like Miyazaki is so full of himself and says 'animation is solely for kids' when these people's works are usually aimed towards teenagers and young adults. Not to mention Osamu Tezuka, he's had darker-themed works like Black Jack, and that guy is more important than Miyazaki ever will be.

Being a huge Tezuka, and seinen fan, I agree that animation is not only for kids. But if you take into account the recent animation productions, you will notice that 80% is aimed to "kids" (and may include adults, but the target audience never ceases to be the "kids"), and the other 20% to otakus who have the mind of a perverted 15 year old. There are a handful of exceptions (Noitamina), and they are dimming each year.

Nowadays animation is targeting less and less adults, leaving that to the manga. And among so many shitty kids targeted anime's, MIyazaki's work is phenomenal, in my view.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1