• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Online (MMO) To Be Released in 2008

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:15 pm Reply with quote
In this MMORPG, you spend a year powering up your characters, but your actual fights only last a few seconds. Rolling Eyes
coffee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:30 pm Reply with quote
WoW meets DB...this looks like utter fail to me. When I first read the article it sounded neat, but if it's a 100 years after DB, why is Goku and gang aappearing in the game?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Son-kun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Here's a basic synopsis of the game for those confused.
Quote:

STAGE:
It was Age 784 when Goku snuck away from the Tenkaichi Budokai with Uub. Then, about 200 years later, in Age 1000, the stage is set for "DBO"!! One day, during rigorous training, you sense a disaster strike the world!! The Earth is divided into parts by the Dark Eye, a lively group of scoundrels, whose mastermind is a total enigma... With the guidance of Time Patrol Trunks, who suddenly appeared, you set out on a journey to reclaim the peace which has been lost. On your adventure, you will meet many other players who have the same goal. Together, can you overcome your limits, defeat the mastermind, and save the world!?

As far as the game plays, I have no idea. I'm a little skeptical of the project, but since Toriyama is supervising it I might check it out.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:56 pm Reply with quote
coffee wrote:
WoW meets DB...this looks like utter fail to me. When I first read the article it sounded neat, but if it's a 100 years after DB, why is Goku and gang aappearing in the game?

Trunks' Time Machine? Laughing

Whatever, I hope this game turns out good, and gets released over here! I really want to try it out!
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:12 pm Reply with quote
coffee wrote:

To sell the game.....why else, don't worry there will be some sort of special dragon ball that allowed everyone to travel to the future or some sort of hogwash. But I must say I really do like that graphic style for DB it just feels right.

GATSU wrote:
In this MMORPG, you spend a year powering up your characters, but your actual fights only last a few seconds. Rolling Eyes

And that training must be alone while in a Space Capsule and your only contact can be via video with master roshi....
NimbusRain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Even if the story is a bit...odd, I'd want to check it out for the fact that Toriyama is working on it. Being able to make custom characters out of parts designed by Toriyama sounds awesome. I just love his art style.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I'll definately be tryig this one out, it looks like it would fit the DBZ world pretty well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:41 pm Reply with quote
of course they announced it. (dragon ball will never die)
And I mean that in the best way possible.

But it looks kind of intresting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ryoga79

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Well if that makes it to the UK then I am going to lose a whole lot of what little life I do have.
Several hundred years after dragonball, well Piccolo and Roshi could still be alive and well but there must be some real dragon abuse for the others to be in good condition. That or we get to die and meet everyone in the otherworld or they get to come back for events.
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I've never been a huge DB fan, but this looks REALLY cool for an online game. I might have to check it out, if it's not hugely expensive.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I hear it costs OVER NINE THOUSAND yen to play. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
matthewlow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Looks very interesting. Only sad part is I highly doubt it'll come here...

Maybe if it gets popular enough DBZ may continue... *wishful thinking*
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:38 pm Reply with quote
matthewlow wrote:

I am sure it will come out in the US, if that is this project ever gets to/and pass the beta period.

DBZ did continue.....remember? DBGT was the sequel to DBZ.
Ken-san

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:51 pm Reply with quote
matthewlow wrote:

Are you serious? There's no doubt in the world that it'll come over here. Dragonball is possibly the longest reigning most popular "Mainstream" anime to have ever come out. How anyone could possibly think this game isn't destined for America is totally beyond me!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
lady_youko

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:57 pm Reply with quote
My soul weeps at the sight of this. Ever hear the term beating a dead horse. Worst case scenario is a bunch of immature 12 year olds with hi speed internet hook ups flooding the in-game chat with "over 9000" jokes. It will be funny at first, then get annoying-- really annoying.

That being said, I'll try it out. Sounds interesting if not totally out of the box.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4