• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My-Otome

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:16 am Reply with quote
anime#5378

Just wondering if all you guys who blew this series off as SO much worse then Mai Hime have been watching it. I've been watching it and it seems to be getting a lot better now. They've gotten past all the fan servicey stuff and have moved onto to the more serious part of the series. I can't say it's better then Mai Hime at the moment, but it certainly has potential. Btw, anybody else think the new opening is absolutely awesome? (It's called Crystal Energy I think)

Last edited by PantsGoblin on Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:51 am; edited 3 times in total
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:26 am Reply with quote
I've only seen up through episode 15 (because I refuse to watch speedsubs on this series), but you're right, it does get better as time goes on, particularly after that "spiral" episode (6 or 7, perhaps). The last few have been quite good spoiler[with Mashiro-chan's adventures in poverty, and the increasing world conflict], and I've heard that 16 and 17 take it up to an even higher level. And by some strange coincidence, it was at episode 16 of Mai Hime when we saw spoiler[Nagi saying, "from here on out, you will fight each other's Childs!"]
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:39 am Reply with quote
Ya, episode 17 is the best episode so far IMO. spoiler[We finally get to see Natsuki transform into her Otome/Mai Star whatever form, as well as some other new surprises.] You're in for a treat with the new opening though.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:41 am Reply with quote
I'm not surprised it took Otome this long to "get good/decent", since it's the same structural formula as Mai-Hime, where they misdirect you for about 18 episodes and then pull a series of dramatic twists.
Lasco

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:15 am Reply with quote
It feels like its taken longer for things to get interesting that it did in Hime, but thats probably because i watched Hime in 2 days and have been watching Otome as it was released. So far i still feel that Hime is superior, but Otome has...what, eight episodes to prove me wrong, either way its one my favorite series im following atm.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Luminal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I'm crazy but I loved Mai Otome from episode 1. Much more than Mai Hime.

And yeah, episode 17 was great because you see the best otomes start to fight.

Luminal
The Lance

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I've also only seen up to episode 15, and they seem to be cutting the episodes off between each other at crucial/interesting points, so it seems to be getting me to come back for more. The sweetness is gradually just getting more sour it seems.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I saw episode 18, spoiler[the bastards, they killed off Ryoko Shintani's character (Aoi). Of course, we didn't actually see her die so there's still a chance of her coming back. Arika only appeared in the last 10 seconds of it. The episode mainly focused on Mashiro.] A pretty good episode overall though.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:33 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Just wondering if all you guys who blew this series off as SO much worse then Mai Hime have been watching it. I've been watching it and it seems to be getting a lot better now. They've gotten past all the fan servicey stuff and have moved onto to the more serious part of the series. I can't say it's better then Mai Hime at the moment, but it certainly has potential. Btw, anybody else think the new opening is absolutely awesome? (It's called Crystal Energy I think)

What do you mean "getting better"? I've been enjoying it this whole time.....

Wink
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:09 am Reply with quote
Just because you enjoy something doesn't mean it can't get better.

PantsGoblin wrote:
I saw episode 18, spoiler[the bastards, they killed off Ryoko Shintani's character (Aoi). Of course, we didn't actually see her die so there's still a chance of her coming back. Arika only appeared in the last 10 seconds of it. The episode mainly focused on Mashiro.] A pretty good episode overall though.

That scene was simply beautiful. Quite possibly the single best scene yet in Otome.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:50 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
That scene was simply beautiful. Quite possibly the single best scene yet in Otome.

By this, do you mean that you are in favor of spoiler[Aoi's death] or that the scene itself was well put together? If you mean the latter, then I agree. If it is the other... spoiler[Prepare to feel my wrath, because wishing death upon ANY of Ryoko Shintani's characters is a sin and shall be dealt with promptly and harshly. Punishment will most likely include [CENSORED] and some form of [CENSORED] resulting in [CENSORED].] Also, spoiler[my new avatar, in memory of Aoi's possible death.]

Last edited by PantsGoblin on Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:54 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

By this, do you mean that you are in favor of spoiler[Aoi's death] or that the scene itself was well put together? If you mean the former, then I agree. If it is the other... spoiler[Prepare to feel my wrath, because wishing death upon ANY of Ryoko Shintani's characters is a sin and shall be dealt with promptly and harshly. Punishment will most likely include [CENSORED] and some form of [CENSORED] resulting in [CENSORED].]

I believe you mean "if you mean the latter", because you're contradicting yourself otherwise.

And I mean that the scene was well done and put together well to invoke emtions and spoiler[connect to Mashiro's issues]. I wish for the death of certain characters *cough*Tomoe*cough*, but not the person in this scene
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:57 am Reply with quote
I've been enjoying it the whole time. I liked HiME alot, and I also like this alot as well, and everything they've thrown in, like old cast (with the same old quirks) but new faces, a few old cast with new roles, etc. It's very good, honestly, and has been good since the beginning. It's just that for the last several eps it's just gotten very dramatic instead of being more of a comedy.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Just some things I found interesting about the newest episode. It seems like they're trying bring in some spoiler[incest with Shizuru and her sister. Looked like they were about to kiss and you hear the sound of clothes coming off.] Also, it seems like Mikoto is spoiler[ going to get more of a role in Otome other then just being an overwieght cat. I'm sure that silhouette we saw at the end of the episode was her, but wouldn't that make two of her since she's already the cat? (or at least I thought she was)] Anyway, it seems like they still have a lot left to cover in these last six episodes, I'm wondering how they're going to finish it up.
Asuka

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:39 pm Reply with quote
*headdesks after reading Pants' post*

spoiler[First, Mikoto's "shadow" already appeared in the first episode with the Harmonium. However, in the preview for 21 they show Mikoto in a physical form. Could be a flashback, who knows.

Regarding Shizuru, Tomoe is NOT her sister. Onee-san/sama/etc can be used in situations other than being a relative. Pretty much, in Garderobe, if someone is in a higher class than you they're called Onee-sama. How you missed that is beyond me.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5