• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: RIN-NE GN 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pajmo9

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:26 pm Reply with quote
It's no Maison Ikkoku, but I don't find my self trying very hard to stay interested in it either. I keep admitting to my self that it's not all that great but then I find my self looking forward to the next volume. It also puts a smile on my face while I'm reading it which is always a good sign.

I think Rebecca's review is spot on. Thanks for the great read.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:54 pm Reply with quote
RIN-NE is just Takahashi on autopilot. It's still enjoyable, because it's Takahashi, but it has a lack of substance to it. I have to admit, though, the Shinigami Clerk arc was really funny.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:04 pm Reply with quote
When Viz first started doing the "simulcast" (for lack of a better term) of Rin-Ne, I followed it for the first couple of weeks. There was a combination of factors that led me to stop.

The first one was that I only got promotional emails from Viz for the first couple of installments; with my busy schedule, if I don't see some kind of a reminder for something like this, it gets pushed to the back of mind and eventually forgotten about altogether. The second reason was that while the story itself was OK in what I read, it wasn't compelling enough for me to remember that it was out there without having some kind of a reminder. Third, I recall having some issues with Viz's online reader.

From what I read, it didn't seem like it was up to standard; in both Ranma 1/2 and Inuyasha, there's enough of a hook to get you interested and invested in the story rather early; unfortunately, Rin-Ne just didn't have that early hook.

Looking at the cover for this volume, something really grabbed my attention. The face on one of the characters looks an awful lot like Miroku from Inuyasha; I don't know the name of the Rin-Ne character, but he's in the back and he's wearing black. I ended up quipping to my husband that Rumiko Takahashi seemed to be starting to take some lessons on recyling character designs from Akira Toriyama.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1