• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Confirms Some Geneon Licenses Have Expired

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:39 am Reply with quote
Their loss I suppose.
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:40 am Reply with quote
Ack! I still haven't gotten my hands on Kamichu! or Higurashi. And I only have half of the first season of Kyou Kara Maoh. I better get on that before the prices skyrocket even further. I'd still like to see Paradise Kiss too. Curse you license expirations!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I want the 2nd season of Saiunkoku. I hope it'll be licensed here in the US. Pls, sentai maybe.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Sad to hear new fans won't be able to check out Familiar of Zero, Kyo Kara Maoh or Saiunkoku, those are all some of my favorites... Strange that Funimation hasn't mentioned Fate/stay night or Shakugan no Shana, seeing as they appear to have gone out of print too. (Though I know they said they had plans for later seasons of Shana... Whatever happened to that?)
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:10 pm Reply with quote
kamichu...shame. one of the best of its genre. guess ill have to find other ways to get higurashi ...
EricDent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:13 pm Reply with quote
So this was kind of rumored for a bit, but is now confirmed.

Still curious on what the release schedule is going to be for the ones that are saved?
bj_waters

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Good thing I picked up the first season box set when I did. To be honest, I wasn't really holding my breath to see the second season. Saiunkoku never really could compete in terms of popularity with their other, more high-profile series that they've been releasing, I generally believe the majority of the Geneon (and ADV Films) license rescues where an attempt to help the fans who would have been shafted by not being able to complete their collections (and do business with them). As hard of a truth as it is, if a title isn't making money or won't be making money in the future, then letting the license expire is probably the best they could do.
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:26 pm Reply with quote
28076004505531 wrote:
I want the 2nd season of Saiunkoku. I hope it'll be licensed here in the US. Pls, sentai maybe.

I too was hoping for S2 of Saiunkoku, but sadly it doesn't look like it's going to happen. But if someone wants to re-license it, I would be very very happy!
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
kamichu...shame. one of the best of its genre. guess ill have to find other ways to get higurashi ...

Out of curiosity, I looked around and the prices are insane for When they Cry. Good luck on your search. Perhaps,, Funimation will license it for their SAVE edition line in the future.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully, The Familiar of Zero will be reacquired by another company. Though I don't hold much hope for it.

Hope Funimation does something with the Shana license, instead of milking season one for everything they can squeeze out of it, and letting the latter seasons, the movie, and OVA's become so old, that no other company would want it.
archaron

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:45 pm Reply with quote
What a shame, I hope everyone got them while they could.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Craaaaaap, I knew putting off buying the rest of Kyo Kara Maoh was going to bite me in the butt. Sad Trying to find the rest of the second season is going to be BAAAAAD. Volumes 7-9 S2 are skyrocketing. UG.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Guess this means I can get a little more out of my Paradise Kiss box set whenever I choose to sell it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:07 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Sad to hear new fans won't be able to check out Familiar of Zero, Kyo Kara Maoh or Saiunkoku, those are all some of my favorites... Strange that Funimation hasn't mentioned Fate/stay night or Shakugan no Shana, seeing as they appear to have gone out of print too. (Though I know they said they had plans for later seasons of Shana... Whatever happened to that?)

Fate/Stay Night is a likely because they're waiting on Fate/Zero this fall. They may be getting ready to scoop it up with UBW if it's not an Aniplex title.

Shana is also in the same boat with Season 3 and the finale this fall. They did after all acquire the Shakugan no Shana II and Shakugan no Shana S OVA, which they have yet to release at all. Perhaps they're thinking about a huge box set since many people here can't "wait" on cliffhangers like the rest of us....some of us have been eagerly waiting for Shana III since 2007/2008.
TronBonne

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping they would have continued and licensed the third season (and heck, maybe even the OVAs) for Kyo Kara Maoh, plus the second season of Saiunkoku. Oh well. Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5