• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ImaginAsian Delays TMS Classics

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Well I would be lying if I said I wasn't disapointed. But whata ya gona do. Still going to hold off ordering V.2 until I see the first ones though.

I wish they could set the date (tentatively) to the day after the CSS passes. From what I understand, if everything is a go, it shouldn't take 20 extra days. But I guess it is better to ere a bit conservitivly.(caution)

Edit:
Also can someone explain the deal with the encryption hold up? I thought CSS was old news Question
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LantisEscudo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
I wish they could set the date (tentatively) to the day after the CSS passes. From what I understand, if everything is a go, it shouldn't take 20 extra days. But I guess it is better to ere a bit conservitivly.(caution)

The encryption thing is that the DVDCCA (the people that control CSS licensing and issues CSS keys) hasn't certified CSS for use on recordable media yet. Until they do, ImaginAsian can't ship their disks without being in violation of their licensing agreement with the DVDCCA, which opens them to all kinds of ugly breach-of-contract lawsuits. So they can't ship until the DVDCCA certifies it. That was supposed to happen last Wednesday (6/20), but it didn't, so they have to wait for the next DVDCCA meeting at the earliest (early August, if I'm not mistaken).

Also if they slip the release to the same time as Vol. 2, then they can ship both volumes together instead of sending two shipments, which saves them some money.
eloyabun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:25 am Reply with quote
Excuse my ignorance, but in those DVD's CSS stands for what? As far I know CSS means Cascade Style Sheet; but I guess it means something else regarding to encryption. What will be the difference? Those dvd will be harder to backup? You can't see the DVD's in a computer?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:01 am Reply with quote
eloyabun wrote:
Excuse my ignorance, but in those DVD's CSS stands for what? As far I know CSS means Cascade Style Sheet; but I guess it means something else regarding to encryption. What will be the difference? Those dvd will be harder to backup? You can't see the DVD's in a computer?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_Scramble_System

CSS is supposed to prevent copying of DVDs, which DVD players and manufacturers are obligated to follow.
Of course you could still see it in a computer's DVD player.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Well I would be lying if I said I wasn't disapointed. But whata ya gona do. Still going to hold off ordering V.2 until I see the first ones though.

I am also sad to hear about the DVDs being delayed but at least IA was straight up about why they aren't making their deadline. Its not like other studio where dvds just kind of slip into oblivion with no one saying why Vol X isn't out this week.
Mylene

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I think I'll continue to wait to put in my order until there is a set date for the release. I'm not familiar with any of these series, but I'm more than willing to part with a few dollars to promote classic anime in North America. Just not until I know when it's actually coming out. I am very pleased that TMS explained the situation. I wish I could receive the ImaginAsian channel. I don't even get AZN anymore (which I didn't like nearly as well as the International Channel, but had hope it might improve someday.)
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:54 am Reply with quote
As long as it comes out, I'm cool.

I keep it old school 'round here.
eloyabun

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:03 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
eloyabun wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_Scramble_System

CSS is supposed to prevent copying of DVDs, which DVD players and manufacturers are obligated to follow.
Of course you could still see it in a computer's DVD player.

Thanks for your answer enurtsol Very Happy By the way, are there other anime DVD releases (in America) that take advantage of CSS? EDIT:

After reading related articles in wikipedia, looks like almost every single DVD realease uses CSS. Now I wonder, if al discs are "copy protected" why there are so much dvd rips on internet? Confused
LantisEscudo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:26 pm Reply with quote
eloyabun wrote:
After reading related articles in wikipedia, looks like almost every single DVD realease uses CSS. Now I wonder, if al discs are "copy protected" why there are so much dvd rips on internet? Confused

Because CSS as an encryption method was broken almost eight years ago (October 1999), to the level that a judge in Finland ruled that CSS is not an effective access control mechanism and that tools to circumvent it aren't in violation of European law (unlike in the US, where such tools are in violation of the DMCA).

I'm not certain why it's still being used, unless it's part of the licensing from either the studios or the DVD Forum (who published and maintain the DVD specifications). I do realize they can't switch to something else without making all current DVDs players unable to play disks with the new scheme, though.
eloyabun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:58 pm Reply with quote
LantisEscudo wrote:
I'm not certain why it's still being used, unless it's part of the licensing from either the studios or the DVD Forum (who published and maintain the DVD specifications). I do realize they can't switch to something else without making all current DVDs players unable to play disks with the new scheme, though.

So, that's the real reason behind creating new formats like HDDVD or Blue Ray?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1