• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Batman anime?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raven369

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:03 pm Reply with quote
It seems like Warner Bros. will be involved in a Batman anime project. It looks to be somewhat similar to the Animatrix.

BATMAN ANIME

Targeted Audience:
Dual: Core fans and tween boys
Rating: PG-13 (anticipated)

Release:
2-4 weeks in advance of The Dark Knight film release.

Overview:

Set in the period between BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT, this brand new adventure follows BATMAN as he unravels a mystery over six original stories done in the style of Japanese Anime. Each of the six original stories has been written by a highly respected screenwriter or comic book creator. The talent includes Academy Award nominee Josh Olsen (The History of Violence), screenwriter of the Blade films and Batman Begins David Goyer, and famed comic book writer Brian Azzarello, among others.

The Batman Anime DVD is viewed as a perfect companion piece to BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT. The original stories introduce a number of classic characters from the DC Comics BATMAN universe as well as following up on characters and storylines that were introduced in BATMAN BEGINS.

http://batman-on-film.com/batman-anime-movie-info.html
flamingicewitch

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, im not a huge fan of batman, i have never really liked it. I have seen cartoon batman shows, and i hope this anime project is better. But I guess i'll have to read it before making a judgement.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Sounds very Clone Wars to me, but it could be good. Batman animation has been very good in the past at least.

I really should see Batman Begins sometime Razz
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I don't see anything "anime" about this beyond them tacking the word onto the project. I see no Japanese studio involvement, no prominent names in the industry being signed onto the project, and the style looks more like Frank Miller or Neil Gaiman than any anime creator I can think of.

And honestly, if they just said "in the style of Frank Miller," I can bet you it'd draw more of a mainstream crowd. I love the new Batman movie franchise, but I think this'll end up being a really bad misstep is they keep insisting on "ANIME ANIME ANIME!" being attached to it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Brand

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Honestly, I don't see anything "anime" about this beyond them tacking the word onto the project. I see no Japanese studio involvement, no prominent names in the industry being signed onto the project, and the style looks more like Frank Miller or Neil Gaiman than any anime creator I can think of.

And honestly, if they just said "in the style of Frank Miller," I can bet you it'd draw more of a mainstream crowd. I love the new Batman movie franchise, but I think this'll end up being a really bad misstep is they keep insisting on "ANIME ANIME ANIME!" being attached to it.

While I agree with it doesn't look all that anime. I can't see how it looks like Frank Miller's art style. Also Neil Gaiman doesn't do art for comics he just writes them. Though it does look like pretty generic comic art to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:57 pm Reply with quote
brand wrote:
I can't see how it looks like Frank Miller's art style.

I wasn't saying it looked JUST LIKE his art, I was saying it looked and felt CLOSER to his than to that of any prominent figure in the anime industry that I could think of. Miller was merely an example, as I admittedly don't know very many comic artists by name.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:09 pm Reply with quote
I'd have to agree on the opinion that the word "anime" was just tacked on for more attention. It doesn't look like anime at all. Unless they're talking about the storylines being more similar to those of anime series.

Anyway, we already have a Batman series done in anime style.
Nerv1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Ryvius213 wrote:
I'd have to agree on the opinion that the word "anime" was just tacked on for more attention. It doesn't look like anime at all. Unless they're talking about the storylines being more similar to those of anime series.

Best Batman series ever.
jetz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:42 am Reply with quote
I also agree with what Nagisa posted. Other than it's just "adding the term anime" to it, it's kinda hard to imagine Batman as anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Brand

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:25 am Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
I also agree with what Nagisa posted. Other than it's just "adding the term anime" to it, it's kinda hard to imagine Batman as anime.

It's called the Big O. There is a Batman manga out there so it's possible, but this sounds like to was done for the sake of edgyness. But who knows it could be cool, or not.... I guess we will have to wait and see.
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:28 am Reply with quote
I hope there is some Japanese involvement in this to be honest. I would love to see a traditional Batman anime. If anything, they should get Kia Asamiya (Michitaka Kikuchi) to do this or at least a segment in the film, seeing as how it looks like it'll be an anthology. His manga of Batman, Child of Dreams, was fantastic and deserves to be looked at by anyone who's a fan of comics period. But anyway, I'm actually really excited about this project. I'm glad DC is taking a more active role in getting more things outside of the current universe animated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:00 am Reply with quote
brand wrote:
Also Neil Gaiman doesn't do art for comics he just writes them.

Plus he works with many artists and so there isn't really any one style for the comics/graphic novels/whatever you want to call them that he does.

But I get what you mean all the same.
TheVok

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:22 am Reply with quote
Nerv1 wrote:
I know who doesn't think Animatrix is an anime, even though it says so.

But it doesn't matter if "it says so." What made 'The Animatrix' different as a project for Warner Bros. was the studio worked with anime directors on all but two of the shorts (those being 'Final Flight of the Osiris' and 'Matriculated,' both directed by Americans: Andy Jones and Peter Chung, respectively).

Just because this new Batman project is being called 'anime' doesn't mean it actually is anime ....
ruro niko

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:16 am Reply with quote
Ryvius213 wrote:

I believe the series you meant was this one.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:47 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:

Hell, if they got Frank Miller to do some of it I'd buy it just for that alone. I could care less if it was Batman or Fat Bastard. Miller does amazing work. I know you said you just used his name as a reference, I'm just saying Miller=good material.

With my fanboy comment out of the way I think this could be bad or good. Bad if they slap on too many kiddy gloves and just use it as a poor marketing tool to hype up Dark Knight. If they take it seriously and make it dark and gritty, much like the old Batman comics are, it could be very well done. Getting the current voices I think is a big issue and if they can't get the current actors then don't do it. People have dealt with enough Batman casts over the years. I still say Keaton is the best Batman but he's also the only one to ever do more then 1 so I'll wait and see how Bale does in this sequel. I think he has the potential to be the best Batman because he has a very commanding aura and does darker roles well. I think Keaton was a better older Batman and Bruce Wayne while Bale does the younger Batman/Wayne better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3