• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Consulate, JETRO to Sponsor Anime Roundtable

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kokuryu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:28 am Reply with quote
Wish I could be there! I would like to rip into them a little bit about the high prices compared to Hollywood release movies and about not keeping production contracts for anime and manga long enough (20 years would be my take on the proper length) and for not doing enough marketing for what they consider to be "lesser" titles.
Kiyoko

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:40 am Reply with quote
I agree with most of what you said except for:

kokuryu wrote:
would like to rip into them a little bit about the high prices compared to Hollywood release movies.

There's a reason why anime is more expensive then Hollywood movies.

Finding Nemo: 28 million DVD's sold.
Fullmetal Alchemist: Conquerer of Shamballa - probably around the range of 20,000 DVD's sold
Spiral volume 2: Maybe 1-2 thousand sold, or even less.

Hollywood can afford to sell off their DVD's at a cheap price because they sell multi-million copies of them.

Anime companies have to charge more to make any money in return for the cost of licensing, dubbing and production. Except for Bandai Visual's US releases. Their prices *are* insane.

But as far as I know, I've never heard of any one anime DVD selling more then 1 million copies. I could be wrong though. (If one did, it would probably either be Akira or a Miyazaki film)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:37 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
Wish I could be there! I would like to rip into them a little bit about the high prices compared to Hollywood release movies and about not keeping production contracts for anime and manga long enough (20 years would be my take on the proper length) and for not doing enough marketing for what they consider to be "lesser" titles.
So you wouldn't mind if a company like 4Kids had your favourite anime to butcher for 20 years, scuppering any chance of a proper anime distributor like FUNimation from picking up the pieces and putting them all back together again? Wink
Roy9076

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:17 pm Reply with quote
If only I had the chance to be in San Fran.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:54 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
kokuryu wrote:
So you wouldn't mind if a company like 4Kids had your favourite anime to butcher for 20 years, scuppering any chance of a proper anime distributor like FUNimation from picking up the pieces and putting them all back together again? Wink

Indeed. "Be careful what you wish for", as they say.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:17 am Reply with quote
Avoiding any harsh terms, I would like to discuss with these people about how their main problem, as oppose to their marketing, is the content itself.

Bandai's recent licensing between Gundam Seed and Code Geass... Any less sanity and any more bravado; I'd slug those insensitive directors and screenwriters who'd do whatever they want for their countryfolk then consider the outside world as the dumping ground.

Plus I'll tell them why "Power Rangers" of all imports are the best example of how to get make anime even more popular outside of Japan.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:58 am Reply with quote
Kiyoko wrote:

But as far as I know, I've never heard of any one anime DVD selling more then 1 million copies. I could be wrong though. (If one did, it would probably either be Akira or a Miyazaki film)

Miyazaki, you're right. IIRC, Buena Vista said they sold a million Kiki videos way back then (late 90's).
quartears

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I bet Bandai's talking about how to overprice their releases. They're very nice but still. I don't really wanna shell out everything in my wallet just for an hour and a half movie.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I didn't get a chance to go. Sorry. Money problems.

Did anybody else go? What had been said?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1