• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Alive GN 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Aw man... I read the first volume and was totally riled up; I really wanted to know the mystery behind the suicide virus, and it was all so exciting! The suspense was already killing me in the first volume, so it sounds like this second one will really make me want to kill myself...

Heh, for some reason, I LOVE seinen manga that involve huge masses of people mysteriously committing suicide (and if there are secret corporate conspiracies and lone fugitive heroes running for the law, my interest peaks X10000). They're just so thrilling! But it's really ironic because I hate, hate, hate violence and gore and bloodshed and innocent civilians dying. o_O If someone would only write a thriller suicide-conspiracy seinen manga without blood or anyone actually dying Anime hyper;
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Alive is shonen.
It was interesting reading this review, since I think of Alive as such a fast paced series - and then remembering that there was a couple of draggy volumes early one, as the book transitioned from the initial horror to a more action based storyline. It will pay off big time soon.
I almost dropped it after a really fillery bit in volume three, but from volume four on it is all gold.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Andrew Cunningham wrote:
Alive is shonen.
It was interesting reading this review, since I think of Alive as such a fast paced series - and then remembering that there was a couple of draggy volumes early one, as the book transitioned from the initial horror to a more action based storyline. It will pay off big time soon.
I almost dropped it after a really fillery bit in volume three, but from volume four on it is all gold.

I'm interested in this series, but I have a question, you might have to get a tad spoilery to answer. In what sense is it an action series?(Are we talking Naruto here? Or is it an action series with a large focus on the overall mystery?) How does the series change?

minakichan wrote:
so it sounds like this second one will really make me want to kill myself...

You solved the mystery! It's not a virus, just suspenseful manga cliffhangers that are doing it Laughing
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:04 pm Reply with quote
If you just look at the plot? It does become a shonen fighting book with each person using a unique power and clever strategies to win. A little more Jojo's in structure than Naruto.
But I think that aspect of it is balanced out by the tone, which mostly remains most dark and intense - it also builds up to the first arc climax around volumes ten and eleven, so a lot more compact.
The art - and the character on the cover of volume four - do a lot to set it apart from lesser series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1