• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyo Pop Interview

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isaacada1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Interview of a Tokyo Pop employee about their manga.
http://www.comicon.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=36&t=001675

Anyone spot anything interesting in this piece?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zeiram

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:20 am Reply with quote
yeh mOre plans of wesTern expAnsion, who Knew or thoUght? world domiNatiOn project has (Very ingenIously anD thoroughly) commEnsed!!! hmmm this reminds me of sOmething.

Ahh i watched too much SNL x_x

edit - note, the capital letters spell a dif word, that's the 'subliminal man' refference of SNL

Last edited by Zeiram on Fri Dec 26, 2003 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
SharinganKakashi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:23 am Reply with quote
Zeiram wrote:
yeh mOre plans of wesTern expAnsion, cool, who woUld of though? World domiNatiOn project has (Very ingenIously anD thoroughly) commEnsed!!! hmmm this reminds me of sOmething.

Ahh i watched too much SNL x_x

English as A Second Language
Zeiram

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:32 am Reply with quote
Excuse me, i did that on purpose, seems like the joke went over your head e_e
Carol Maxwell

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 1:12 am Reply with quote
I found it intersting that Tokyopop was the first to keep in right to left format and how everyone thought it wasn't going to work. Now it's the set format, and from what I understand, cheaper. Also what was intersting was this:

The Interview wrote:
1) manga has achieved a greater penetration into the book trade, 2) there is a much larger public awareness of manga and anime overall, and 3) manga appeals to a male and female demographic, thereby expanding its reach beyond that of typical American superhero type comics

This is very true, more people know what anime and manga is, looking back a decade, no one knew what either one was. Also, it wasn't Batman or Superman, or the classic fight between good and evil, good guys versus bad guys, all the good stuff. Instead, you have the romance, the humor, the big robots, the magical girls, and any other ones I can't think of at the moment. It has definately gone beyond all that, by doing this, it appeals to everyone else.

The Interview wrote:
Some of the current best selling titles include Chobits, Cardcaptor Sakura, Sailor Moon, Love Hina, and .hack. "While each series has its own unique appeal to readers, all of them offer fun stories and great artwork,"

Those are fun titles to read, as the interview said, they have their own unique appeal. From what I've read of them (save for Love Hina), they all have good art to match their stories. The one that I thought was the best out of those (save for Love Hina again) was Chobits, the art and the story grabbed my attention so fast, and everything stayed up to bar, it's just great in my opinion.

The Interview wrote:
Now journalists are far more receptive. We have seen wonderful coverage by mainstream media, and they're even calling us now. This is huge for manga.

This pretty much hit the nail on the head of recognition to manga. As they said before they couldn't get any coverage. But, now that more people like it, journalists flock to it like sea gulls to free food! The more manga gets recognition, the better it is for the industry entirely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 1:37 am Reply with quote
Carol Maxwell wrote:
I found it intersting that Tokyopop was the first to keep in right to left format and how everyone thought it wasn't going to work. Now it's the set format, and from what I understand, cheaper. Also what was intersting was this:

I remember Viz coming out with the unflipped stuff first. Example: their Evangelion manga I have is unflipped.
arxane

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Yes, Viz did come out with unflipped manga first, but Tokyopop was the first to make it the standard.
Carol Maxwell

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 11:49 pm Reply with quote
It would've been nice if they had mentioned Viz doing this first and then Tokyopop making it standard. But, that's what I understood from what the interview said.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1