• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Review Saint Seiya

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fenrir

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I must say that that review for saint Seiya was rather harsh and incredibly critical. I can see why anyone would not particularly enjoy the anime during the first few episodes. I myself did not but it takes time to introduce the characters albeit in a painful way once the series gets going with the theft of the golden cloth the series is completely different. I wouldn't reccomend commenting on an entire series before more then 1 disc is viewed commenting on the episodes per dis would make a lot more sense to me. I have only seen the first 16 eps of Saint Seiya and started to fall in love with it when the Phoenix saind and the dark saints show up. Patience is a virtue when watching this series and like any series like YYH or Naruto it takes some time to get really good.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Well, Yuu Yuu Hakusho and (based on what a friend of mine's told me) Naruto were good from the very start.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ashram12

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:51 pm Reply with quote
The review of Saint Seiya is a bit too harsh, especially since it's judging the whole series after one DVD. Many series don't get better until later on, off the top of my head I can say that Escaflowne really didn't strike me as interesting until episode 10.

I'm pretty fond of Saint Seiya, I don't think it's the best anime ever created, I don't think it's particularly clever (but then again, I can't really think of a shonen anime that is clever) however I do think it's a lot of fun. If people are willing to overlook the fact that it's an old anime, I honestly think most people will enjoy this serie. Saint Seiya can't be THAT awful if they're making more OAVS 10 years after it stopped airing.
Ancient_Khayman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Saint Seiya is a great series, and it has a good story. But by reading the review it was obvious the guy didn't know jack of what he was talking about anyway. And that's not even the cover of volume 1 (nor of any volume).
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Ancient_Khayman wrote:
Saint Seiya is a great series, and it has a good story. But by reading the review it was obvious the guy didn't know jack of what he was talking about anyway.

Oh yeah, sure. He's stupid because he doesn't think like you. Rolling Eyes

It's called opinion, dude. Deal with it.

Now as far as I'm concerned, I am not a Saint Seiya fan. Never seen it, so I can't and won't comment on its quality. However, I will say that it's a bit far-fetched to expect someone to keep watching a show they dislike just to get to the "good part." If you don't like a series after the first few episodes, why must you continue to fork over cash for future volumes to get to the "good stuff" that happens around episode 60 or so? That's an unrealistic expectation, at best.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Fenrir

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:19 pm Reply with quote
YYH wasn't all that great from the start the first eps were unlike the others. Also Saint Seiya does not take that long to get into the plot. They decided to introduce you to all of the characters through fighting then everything just suddenly takes off as the characters go on an adventure. I know it's all just opinion but if you read the review you'll see just how harsh it really is. I can see the show getting a c rating or something because someoen did not like it but d and f rating after only 4 episodes that's a way harsh way to review a series after only 4 episodes. At least give the show a chance watch 10 or so and if you don't like still then give up or say it's not your bag because you can't get through it all. Don't call shows utter crap. I can't stand certain Anime's but I don't call them utter crap because of my opinion I say I don't like it and rate it on other elements which is what a reviews is supposed to do. It's not only about personal opinion. Which Saint Seiya DVD 1 is all about.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:34 pm Reply with quote
First impressions are the most important. If a series doesn't grab you off the bat, what's there to encourage you to continue? Maybe he wasn't impressed after the first disc. You can't fault him for having an opinion. I know that if I were really interested in a series (despite a negative first disc) I would still go and check out the rest of the episodes. You should give anime viewers the benefit of the doubt that they can go and view a series on their own and not take one review as the only review. I just think it's so weird that so many people have latched onto this series with such fervour. I mean, I haven't seen anyone upset about any of the other less than positive reviews on other series.

Not all reviews are going to be positive and you just have to accept that. All the Saint Seiya reviews I've read have been pretty lukewarm, and I think they were being kind to only be lukewarm...to avoid a backlash like this thread. I give Zac credit for telling the public his honest opinion about a series with an obviously large fan-base. After all, I don't see anyone else reguarly submitting reviews. If you don't like the reviews, you should submit some of your own.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:58 pm Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:
I mean, I haven't seen anyone upset about any of the other less than positive reviews on other series.

Yeah, I mean...if people are going to get this pissed over the Saint Seiya review, maybe I should start a huge hissy-fit thread over the review Bamboo Dong did for the first volume of X, or Mike Crandol's review of the first volume of SoulTaker. Rolling Eyes
musouka

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:01 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Oh yeah, sure. He's stupid because he doesn't think like you. Rolling Eyes

Nah, that's not it. I just find it odd that for someone that has claimed to look up more info for the series, he then comes back and says it's nothing but a tournament(s). The tournament itself ends in episode seven, which is obviously hardly one hundred episodes. Afterwards, there's more of that "plot stuff" that Zac is claiming that Saint Seiya is lacking.

Also, Saint Seiya doesn't have as much in common as one might think with the shounen anime that he named. Those are really more adventure series, whereas Saint Seiya doesn't exactly fit into that mold. Seiya isn't trying to obtain anything, get stronger, or just fighting for the hell of it. His reasons for fighting are a bit different. Therefore to try to gauge the entire series by looking at those other series is a bit flawed.

It's not so much the fact that Zac obviously hates the series. That I can live with, as he's completely entitled to his opinions. Rather it's the mistakes and erroneous claims that irk me about the review. (If actual Greek gods show up later, I don't really think that can be called a "sprinkling" of Greek mythology. More like a "main ingredient") I agree that one should not be forced to watch something if it doesn't grab them after five episodes, but I don't think a well-informed review is too much to ask for, especially after there have been claims of research about it.

I guess I just get the feeling that Zac is reviewing the series on what he believes it will be, since most of the review didn't seem that focused on the actual DVD, but more like what he assumed the series would be like.

Quote:
Yeah, I mean...if people are going to get this pissed over the Saint Seiya review, maybe I should start a huge hissy-fit thread over the review Bamboo Dong did for the first volume of X, or Mike Crandol's review of the first volume of SoulTaker.

How is saying that something is rather harsh throwing a hissy fit? Man, if this is the worst "hissy fit" this board has seen, then I say you guys are pretty lucky. I don't think the fans are being incredibly unreasonable here. Or are we not allowed to give less than glowing feedback on a review?
Fenrir

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:14 am Reply with quote
The soul taker review is actually quite well written praising the show in the places it shined and also saying that after the first 3 episodes it wasn't very good. The writer makes no comments on the series as a whole but on the 3 presented episodes. I could have cared less if Zac had reviewed the first 4 Saint Seiya Episodes but he drags his first 4 episode review into a the review of a 100 episode show he has not completely seen which is just plain bad reviewing. Comment on what you saw not what you expect or have not seen. This review is so bad I think it should be removed.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 1:15 am Reply with quote
No, see, what I always hear from the Saint Seiya fans is that I have to sit through 40 episodes or so for the "such-and-such" characters to show up, and then it gets "really good". But "really good" depends entirely on what you think about cartoons about endless celestial tournament fighting. If I don't care much about celestial tournament fighting, I'm still not going to care about it after whatever those characters from after episode 40 add to the show, since, while those episodes may indeed be "much better" from a celestial tournament fighting fan perspective, if you're not into that type of action, you're not going to enjoy it.

And I am firmly in the "You can judge if a series for you after one volume" camp. Not whether or not the entire series is crap, just whether or not it's something you'd likely enjoy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 1:28 am Reply with quote
I'd promote old-school titles more than anyone. And having only seen the first chapter of Saint Seiya in Jump, I wasn't impressed. Of course it could get better, but I'd rather see Samurai Troopers(Ronin Warriors) instead.
musouka

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 1:30 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
And I am firmly in the "You can judge if a series for you after one volume" camp. Not whether or not the entire series is crap, just whether or not it's something you'd likely enjoy.

I'm not saying that's not the case. Obviously if something doesn't draw you in during the first volume then the series is probably not for you. Granted, I think StS gets good after episode five, but no one is under any obligation to watch X amount of episodes before deciding they dislike it.

Having said that, though, I don't think it's too much to ask that a review be based upon what you've seen of the series. Don't like the tournament in the first five episodes? Fine. But don't make assumptions that the entire series follows the exact same format as the earlier episodes (yes, StS is repetitive in its own way, I must admit, but not because it follows the tournament style strictly), or has no plot twists (or plot itself) if you're not willing to watch more of it. And, for that matter, dismiss the fanbase as merely being willing to "latch on to anything with an arching storyline and claim it’s the best thing ever produced" when you have no idea what that arching storyline really has within it.

Last edited by musouka on Sat Dec 13, 2003 1:34 am; edited 1 time in total
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 1:33 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I'd promote old-school titles more than anyone. And having only seen the first chapter of Saint Seiya in Jump, I wasn't impressed. Of course it could get better, but I'd rather see Samurai Troopers(Ronin Warriors) instead.

Oh, but GATSU...it DOES get better. I mean, can't you tell from the thread that you just have to stick with it to see that it is super good?!
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 1:34 am Reply with quote
Well... I don't know what else Zac may have seen of Saint Seiya, but I saw random bits and pieces at my club over the years and it's always bored me silly... and I don't know if it's the same tournament as during the opening episodes, but the random episodes/movies I saw all seemed to be at tournaments of some sort or bland-looking Greek god places (maybe Mount Olympus... I've never cared enough to check).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4