• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2011 FMA Film to Get N. American Theatrical Release on 100+ Screens

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Is it going to be a 35mm print or is it going to be another blu-ray. I really hope it's a print because I never liked the idea of paying $12-$13 to watch a video.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:57 pm Reply with quote
This was dubbed and (soon to be) shown to the public D;. Why can't they do this with other series.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I hope this comes to Atlanta and if so, to a real theater and not the god awful no-bass, no-treble, broken chair art house theater that Evangelion 2.22 came to.

As far as film vs blu-ray, I'd prefer blu-ray. After buying BDs I'm always upset to goto a theater and get inferior image quality compared to what I can get at home.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Excellent news!I can't wait to see the english dub trailer!
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As far as film vs blu-ray, I'd prefer blu-ray. After buying BDs I'm always upset to goto a theater and get inferior image quality compared to what I can get at home.

No? Film and bluray aren't even measured the same but film has a higher resolution than bluray and will look better on a theatre screen.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:23 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
No? Film and bluray aren't even measured the same but film has a higher resolution than bluray and will look better on a theatre screen.

Kinda-sorta-not really. While 35mm does have a (slightly) higher effective resolution than 1080p, almost nobody sees it that way. Most 35mm prints that are sent to multiplexes are printed at high speed, which boosts the contrast and washes out detail. Side-by-side, these days digital projection looks way better, assuming your theater has a decent projector.

Besides, anime is made digitally, so you were never going to get any higher resolution than 1080p (or possibly lower, in the case of how most anime is produced). Plus, the process to "print" it back to analog film is lossy. It's best, generally, to keep things in their native formats.

(Note that whether it's sent to theaters on a Blu-ray, hard drive, or HD-CAM, the end result looks pretty much the same. Projection is generally a little more forgiving towards the very minor video issues that crop up in all of those formats, so it's highly doubtful anyone could tell the difference.)

Digital projection has come a LONG, LONG way in the last 5 years, and I now generally prefer it over 35mm. Aside from the resolution issues, real-world factors such as 35mm print damage make it preferable. (Besides, the audio is way better. 35mm Dolby Digital tops out at 384 kbps for 6 channels, which is literally the lowest acceptable quality for a DVD. Digital is lossless 8-channel.)
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Eh this and trigun cant be too excited about; they are basically just long episodes that have little relation to the series, as they take before the end and cant change anything already established. Now if we get a fma brotherhood post ending movie, then give me a call.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Odd the numbers tossed around for the effective resolution on the film is 4k, is that slightly higher than 1080? Film is still a completely separate media whose specs exceed what is found in commercial digital products.

Quote:

Besides, anime is made digitally, so you were never going to get any higher resolution than 1080p (or possibly lower, in the case of how most anime is produced). Plus, the process to "print" it back to analog film is lossy. It's best, generally, to keep things in their native formats.

Does this hold true for movies that are initially shown in theaters as well? I'm not trying to be a know it all but the only information about the resolution anime is made in comes from broadcast specs I can find nothing about theatre specs.
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Let's just hope it looks better than Trigun. When it played in my city (Winnipeg, MB), someone didn't set the correct settings on the Blu Ray player, so it used that awful "Smart Stretch" setting. So not only was the movie squished together, horizontal pans showed the picture get wider. To add insult to injury, I'm fairly certain my theatre fell victim to the non-removal of the 3D lens that I've heard about recently.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I just hope it's not like the Trigun movie in that some towns get the sub and some get the dub, and it's pretty much random!

EVERY THEATER should have a 2-nighter. One night the sub--the next night the dub. No exceptions. Like the way Bleach did its theatrical release of Memories of Nobody--or maybe that was just the dub? I know SOMETHING popular followed that pattern. Maybe it was Evangelion 1.0?
FullTilt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Oh please oh please come to Houston! I would love to see this on my birthday, January 16th!! Laughing

Btw, happy belated Fullmetal Alchemist day everyone!

3 Oct. '11.

NEVER FORGET.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Well thats cool but it would run near me my luck is not that good
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:19 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Odd the numbers tossed around for the effective resolution on the film is 4k, is that slightly higher than 1080? Film is still a completely separate media whose specs exceed what is found in commercial digital products.

As an acquisition format, sure. (For still, it's even higher than 4K, since 35mm still photography uses more of the negative.) But you're missing the point I'm making: by the time you see it, it's nowhere near 4K. Before release, it's gone through the following steps:

Acquisition negative -> Digital intermediate (editing/color correction/SFX/compositing done here) -> Filmout negative -> Filmout interpositive (reduced frame size, to add soundtrack info) -> Duplication internegative -> Release print

Since each pass reduces resolution and boosts contrast (and that last step is done with a hot chemical bath to speed up the process), that final image can't hold a candle to either the original acquisition negative or a digital release copy (which would be mastered directly from the DI). It's effectively well under 1080p, probably closer to 720p. Even in the days of standard def, everything under the interpositive was deemed too low quality for video transfer.

Quote:
Does this hold true for movies that are initially shown in theaters as well? I'm not trying to be a know it all but the only information about the resolution anime is made in comes from broadcast specs I can find nothing about theatre specs.

Absolutely. TV anime is usually composited in 720p, sometimes even less; only theatrical will go a full 1080p (or close to it). I don't think anyone has ever gone over 1080p yet, anime-wise.

For live action movies, those are usually shot with a RED 4K or high-end 35mm stock these days, which are scanned and given a digital intermediate at 4K resolution. So if you can find a theater with a 4K projector, that's your best bet. But the standard 2K projectors will still almost certainly look better than the high-speed release prints.
Eivion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Hope it comes to Houston. Don't really care if its subbed or dubbed.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Please, please, PLEASE come to Colorado Springs this time since you didn't bring me Trigun ;-;
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2