• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Genshiken

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Banken

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:36 pm Reply with quote
is the series still running or did it end?
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:03 am Reply with quote
The original series ended at 9 volumes, all released by Del Rey.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:30 am Reply with quote
And hopefully the continuation gets picked up soon. Though it can either be seen as pushing that fanservice or exploring the opposite gender, since the entire club is replaced with girls.
Amon81

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:05 am Reply with quote
Kio Shimoku is doing another volume called Genshiken Nidaime.

I don't know if it's just the one, but I hope fore more as I love Genshiken.
ptj_tsubasa

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:28 am Reply with quote
It's not a "volume", but a honest continuation. There are chapters coming out every month, and it's no longer a "limited reserialization" as it was originally promoted.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:38 am Reply with quote
I never did finish reading Genshiken. I read 8 volumes, but never read the last one. It is really good, though, and it's so funny because it's so awkwardly realistic when it comes to the characters. You want to laugh at the silly moments but then you think in the back of your mind if this is what you would honestly do at times.

Great article, Jason.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:57 am Reply with quote
I am a massive, huge fan of Genshiken. I have all the manga volumes, the novelization, the entire anime series (with Kujibiki Unbalance) and the compilation book. I really hope that the sequel manga gets licensed, and I would love to be able to find that one shot that took place....5 years after? I really need to see that.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:29 am Reply with quote
First of all, it's, "Kanji," not, "Kenji."

And second-of-ly:
Quote:
Saki, who doesn't have an otaku bone in her body . . .

Now, now, Jason, we all know that statement isn't entirely true. . . . Embarassed Very Happy

@FaytLein: The one-shot and the sequel manga pick up pretty much where Genshiken ended, with the folks who have yet to graduate and some new faces to bolster the ranks.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:39 am Reply with quote
But do Sasahara, Madarame, Tanaka, the President, Saki, Kousaka, or any of the cast that graduated still stop by the club? Or has it been completely separate thus far?

I absolutely love Genshiken, but I've yet to read the spinoff/sequel.
pluvia33

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:46 am Reply with quote
Awesome. Very fun article to read. Genshiken is my second favorite manga series ever after YKK. I own all nine volumes in English from Del Rey as well as all of them in Japanese (including the limited edition versions of volumes 6 and 9 so I could have the alternate cover art and bonus "doujinshi" books; still sad Del Rey didn't translate the second one in their volume 9 book like they did with the first in volume 6).

That reminded me that I needed to check out when the continuation series starts getting released in compiled volumes and book 10 comes out in Japan at the end of the month! Yay! Need to pick it up next time I make a Japanese manga order. Hopefully Kodansha USA releases it in English, too.

But yeah, I also have the fanbook in both English and Japanese and the novel in English. Oh, and all of the anime (including Kujian) and two figures (one of Ohno and one of Ogiue). Yeah, I like the series a bit. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Edit:
Megiddo wrote:
But do Sasahara, Madarame, Tanaka, the President, Saki, Kousaka, or any of the cast that graduated still stop by the club? Or has it been completely separate thus far?

From what I remember, I think all of them except for the old President have made at least cameo appearances. Sasahara, Madarame, and Saki have made decently significant appearances so far. And the new cast members are pretty amusing so far as well. I especially enjoy the mentioned cross-dressing guy.
Running Wild

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:07 am Reply with quote
Genshiken is one of the best and most original manga I ever read with such very compelling characters full of personality, and it's a very easy series to relate to being a nerd.

I haven't read much of the new series though, no idea who all these new characters are and frankly some of their genders confuse me.
JohnathanEnder

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:33 am Reply with quote
Awesome work as always, Jason. Anime smile

Genshiken was one of those series that really, really hits close to home for me. I was part of an anime club in college, yes. And a lot of my friends encompassed traits exhibited by the Genshiken crew, true.

But it was through the club that I was able to meet my fiance...in a situation not unlike Saki and Kousaka.* She apparently had a crush on me but didn't know a thing about anime/manga, and here I was spending my time with dudes (and a few dudettes) who talked about "those strange Asian cartoons."

Not gonna bore you with the details, but long story short, that was 7 years ago and things seem to be on a happy track. It's strange how your hobbies and your life find these junctions when you don't expect them to. Anime smile

*Incidentally, Saki does share my fiance's looks...which was just enough to weird me out. Anime smile + sweatdrop
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Genshiken is a once in a generation masterpiece. It is like Irresponsible Captain Tylor, the plot truly is original and very intelligently written.

It's very true in some respects and is realistic as well. I don't say this very often and haven't in years, but I can actually relate to the characters. Kanji Sashara is a character I can relate the most to. At the start, he is somewhat embarrassed about his hobby, but as the series progresses, his confidence and passion grows. But what I like most about him is that he that he never gave up and tried his best at every thing he did.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:05 pm Reply with quote
I agree Genshiken portrays anime nerds in a mostly realistic light, or at least in such a way that even I relate to them, and it does poke a little fun at nerd culture without so far as demeaning it.

Despite that, it's all the little things that show this title was mostly written for a male audience (mind you, this is only a small nitpick). Kanako has her nerd-girl interests with older, balding men, and I thought that was a unique character touch. But because this was mostly geared to male readers, that clearly isn't good enough, so the manga-ka compensates it by giving her big boobs, which do get pronounced a number of times. Then there's Saki, the blatant pretty-girl character, who ironically is my least favorite character. In fact, I find it irritating how she maintains an ignorant attitude and ruins things for the Genshiken club, and how she feels she has the right to physically assault the club members every time they do the littlest thing that annoys her (some groan at how Kousaka seems to act insensitive toward her when she's around, but coincidentally I love those moments). In those areas, the manga stops feeling as realistic as it could have been. Sure, there's all the Yaoi, but that's just a little something attributed to the nerd-girl characters of the manga.

Nitpick aside, Genshiken is one of those manga where I felt like I was along for the ride with characters who I feel I could've been friends with in real life, so it did feel like it ended too soon. After having gone to Otakon last year, the behavior of Kanako's American female friends definitely felt true and close to home.

Has anyone read the novel? That was such a surprising detour from the manga's tone, considering it involves the Genshiken club members getting kidnapped for something fantastical and Saki and Madarame fight in a climactic battle to reclaim the school building from evil forces. And no, none of that is a joke and none of this story takes place within a dream. It stayed true to the characters, but it still came across pretty strange, if still enjoyable on its own.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:42 pm Reply with quote
The novel really was something strange. All-in-all, I liked it. I particularly liked that Madarame/Saki moment quite a bit, as I feel their relationship in one of the more entertaining of the bunch. It did get irritating a bit to read about that random rich powerful dude who was supposed to take over the college or whatever, but I think that's just cause it took away time from the characters I actually like.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2