• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reveals Wolf Children, Blood-C Films' Dub Casts

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Guh, Colleen? Really? She's already in everything. Confused

Lydia Mackay would've been a much better choice.

Last edited by SpacemanHardy on Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I guess Mike thought otherwise.
FrameFreeze100

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:07 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

Fixed

Yeah it was predictable casting. McFarland doesn't seem to like to take risks so he sticks with his FMA & One Piece cast a lot...

Just a theory but perhaps the positive reception to those dubs have given him a swelled head and ego. "Why fix what ain't broke? I don't need to cast anyone else (possibly more deserving and maybe more fitting) for lead roles"

Anyone want to bet the next original movie he directs has Stephanie Young as the lead female? (He's already crossed off Brina for Summer Wars and Colleen for Wolf Children) He must take care of his Straw Hat ladies Rolling Eyes

More big roles for Micah Solusod and Jad Saxton too for this year.

I'm sure they'll be fine but it sort of feels like the ADR Directors at Funimation are trying really hard to make them fan favorites or something and it comes off as a bit manufactured...

Not sure if I'm the only one who's noticed but in the past couple years Funimation finally starting casting newer and lesser known VAs in lead roles instead of the usual 10 people

Variety is nice but it's a bit annoying that several long time VAs who are overdue for bigger roles have been snubbed in order to "groom & nurture a newer generation of talent"
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see Alison Viktorin back on a regular basis. She's one of my favorite FUNi VAs.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:49 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

+1. Well, to the "someone other than Colleen" sentiment, not so much to the Lydia Mackay recommendation. I do think that Colleen should "tag out" and tag Young/Lau/Mackay in but I'm not sure that any of them are appropriate for the character.

I like Colleen as a director, IMO she's becoming one of the best that Funi has, and I've found that Colleen can hit the minor characters out of the park when she is cast in them. When she plays major characters, as she is here, I don't much care for her as I've reached my limit for her paying leads since she so often has them (and Young/Lau/Mackay are better actresses and underrepresented IMO) and sounds the same in all of them. One voice + many characters = aural confusion IMO.

Quote:
Mana - Jad Saxton

Speaking of overcasting, what is going on with Jad Saxton? She's in everything as of late and as a main character. I saw elsewhere on here the theory that she's filling Cherami Leigh's shoes as Cherami went to LA on her quest to become a "real" actress but she's taking roles now that I suspect Cherami would not have been cast in. She's now the Chosen One at Funimation, she is to them what Hilary Haag and Shelly Calene-Black, combined, are to Sentai. Maybe I should add in Luci Christian to that comparison as well as Jad Saxton has become a prolific lead dub actress seemingly overnight at Funi. I thought she was good in Geminar but I'm not sure that anyone can be that good lol.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:00 am Reply with quote
perhaps she likes voice acting, would like more roles and has been available for auditions.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:09 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:

+1. Well, to the "someone other than Colleen" sentiment, not so much to the Lydia Mackay recommendation. I do think that Colleen should "tag out" and tag Young/Lau/Mackay in but I'm not sure that any of them are appropriate for the character.

I like Colleen as a director, IMO she's becoming one of the best that Funi has, and I've found that Colleen can hit the minor characters out of the park when she is cast in them. When she plays major characters, as she is here, I don't much care for her as I've reached my limit for her paying leads since she so often has them (and Young/Lau/Mackay are better actresses and underrepresented IMO) and sounds the same in all of them. One voice + many characters = aural confusion IMO.

Quote:
Mana - Jad Saxton

Speaking of overcasting, what is going on with Jad Saxton? She's in everything as of late and as a main character. I saw elsewhere on here the theory that she's filling Cherami Leigh's shoes as Cherami went to LA on her quest to become a "real" actress but she's taking roles now that I suspect Cherami would not have been cast in. She's now the Chosen One at Funimation, she is to them what Hilary Haag and Shelly Calene-Black, combined, are to Sentai. Maybe I should add in Luci Christian to that comparison as well as Jad Saxton has become a prolific lead dub actress seemingly overnight at Funi. I thought she was good in Geminar but I'm not sure that anyone can be that good lol.

Colleen has had some decent roles. I love her as Rachel Moore (Case Closed) and Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece), though I will agree with some that she's the weakest member of the main cast for the latter (she's only slightly better than Erica Schroeder IMO).

Also, I think Jamie Marchi and Colleen Clinkenbeard have nearly-identical voices. I've mistaken them for one-another before. I agree that Lydia MacKay and Gwendolyn Lau also sound nearly-identical. IMO, Lydia is the most talented of the bunch, with Jamie a close-second. I agree that Colleen is a good director, but she's only "pretty good" as a VA, nothing totally amazing. Gwen Lau is basically a poor-woman's Lydia MacKay (both have even shared roles). Lydia has also been around far longer than any of them (she was one of FUNi's original VAs, but mostly got bit roles in DBZ and YYH before getting cast more regularly).

Jad Saxton is FUNi's "it" girl, well, their current one anyway. Once Cherami decided to pack her bags for bigger and better things (smart move IMO), they needed SOMEONE to take her place alongside Monica Rial. Before Leigh, it was Brina Palencia. Before her, Laura Bailey got all the good female roles at FUNi.

Sentai/Seraphim have their babies too. Look at Hilary Haag and Emily Neves. LOL Also, Luci Christian and Monica Rial are darlings of BOTH studios. O.o

Jad Saxton, Emily Neves, Monica Rial, Hilary Haag, Colleen Clinkanbeard, Jamie Marchi and Luci Christian are all booking more animation roles than ANY other woman in the industry, even more than Tara Strong and Grey DeLisle. Are they making as much money? Hell no, but the sheer number of roles they're all playing cannot be underestimated.
Laura Bailey is now voicing the lead female in Disney's Avengers Assemble (Black Widow). That role alone is probably giving her more money than all of the above VAs combined. Cherami Leigh is voicing a few roles for Bang Zoom and NYAV in LA, but with how great of a live-action actress she is, I hope we'll see more of her on TV and in movies. In the end, I have confidence she'll be better off.
FrameFreeze100

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:41 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Colleen has had some decent roles. I love her as Rachel Moore (Case Closed) and Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece), though I will agree with some that she's the weakest member of the main cast for the latter (she's only slightly better than Erica Schroeder IMO).

Also, I think Jamie Marchi and Colleen Clinkenbeard have nearly-identical voices. I've mistaken them for one-another before. I agree that Lydia MacKay and Gwendolyn Lau also sound nearly-identical. IMO, Lydia is the most talented of the bunch, with Jamie a close-second. I agree that Colleen is a good director, but she's only "pretty good" as a VA, nothing totally amazing. Gwen Lau is basically a poor-woman's Lydia MacKay (both have even shared roles). Lydia has also been around far longer than any of them (she was one of FUNi's original VAs, but mostly got bit roles in DBZ and YYH before getting cast more regularly).

Jad Saxton is FUNi's "it" girl, well, their current one anyway. Once Cherami decided to pack her bags for bigger and better things (smart move IMO), they needed SOMEONE to take her place alongside Monica Rial. Before Leigh, it was Brina Palencia. Before her, Laura Bailey got all the good female roles at FUNi.

Sentai/Seraphim have their babies too. Look at Hilary Haag and Emily Neves. LOL Also, Luci Christian and Monica Rial are darlings of BOTH studios. O.o

Jad Saxton, Emily Neves, Monica Rial, Hilary Haag, Colleen Clinkanbeard, Jamie Marchi and Luci Christian are all booking more animation roles than ANY other woman in the industry, even more than Tara Strong and Grey DeLisle. Are they making as much money? Hell no, but the sheer number of roles they're all playing cannot be underestimated.
Laura Bailey is now voicing the lead female in Disney's Avengers Assemble (Black Widow). That role alone is probably giving her more money than all of the above VAs combined. Cherami Leigh is voicing a few roles for Bang Zoom and NYAV in LA, but with how great of a live-action actress she is, I hope we'll see more of her on TV and in movies. In the end, I have confidence she'll be better off.

I've never confused Colleen for Jamie (they sound nothing a like...)

Caitlin Glass and Colleen Clinkenbeard however do share somewhat similar voices for certain characters (the shy, quiet types).

No Funimation VA sounds "identical" to someone else and if you think so you've either not watched enough dubs to make distinctions, or you possibly have horrible hearing in general.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:48 am Reply with quote
FrameFreeze100 wrote:

Caitlin Glass and Colleen Clinkenbeard however do share somewhat similar voices for certain characters (the shy, quiet types).

No Funimation VA sounds "identical" to someone else and if you think so you've either not watched enough dubs to make distinctions, or you possibly have horrible hearing in general.

I was just about to say the EXACT same thing. How the HELL do you think Colleen and Jamie sound similar? They sound completely different. Like FrameFreeze said, Caitlin Glass sounds similar to Colleen, and if there's anyone who sounds like Jamie Marchi it's Alexis Tipton.

But go watch episode 6 of Panty & Stocking and tell me, honestly, if Panty and Scanty sound the same to you. Neutral

Because if so.... You just have really, REALLY bad ears. Confused
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:59 am Reply with quote
I can't say that I've ever confused Marchi and Clinkenbeard before. They don't sound alike to me.

Quote:
Once Cherami decided to pack her bags for bigger and better things (smart move IMO), they needed SOMEONE to take her place alongside Monica Rial. Before Leigh, it was Brina Palencia. Before her, Laura Bailey got all the good female roles at FUNi.
I don't recall Cherami playing the types of characters that Jad now plays. To expound, both of those actresses had major roles in Geminar and I can't really see that casting reversed. I also don't recall Cherami being so heavily cast, in so short a time, as Jad now is. I can agree that Brina moved in on Bailey's roles but I can't agree that Cherami stole Brina's VA "turf" as the roles, the character "archetypes", aren't the same: I just can't believe that a dub with a major roles played by Cherami would work if Brina had been cast as that character instead.

I'm somewhat dismayed that Cherami has more-or-less left the Funi dubbing scene, becoming one of the precious few people actually moving to CA in this day and age. Speaking of that and Neves, now that she and Andrew Love have reportedly moved further away from Seraphim Digital I dread their frequency in casts decreasing. They're Sentai's (better) answer to Brina and Chris Sabat IMO. `

TL;DR: Jad Saxton has unparalleled, sudden casting as major characters, characters whose nature are very different, and this kinda scares me lol; you know what they say about being a "jack of all trades".
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:27 am Reply with quote
Personally I am disappointed they didn't try to get real children for the Wolf Children dub.

That is definitely one of the charms of the original that Ame and Yuki sound like real kids.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:25 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
FrameFreeze100 wrote:

I was just about to say the EXACT same thing. How the HELL do you think Colleen and Jamie sound similar? They sound completely different. Like FrameFreeze said, Caitlin Glass sounds similar to Colleen, and if there's anyone who sounds like Jamie Marchi it's Alexis Tipton.

But go watch episode 6 of Panty & Stocking and tell me, honestly, if Panty and Scanty sound the same to you. Neutral

Because if so.... You just have really, REALLY bad ears. Confused

I have always thought Caitlin & Colleen sounded similar, with Caitlin at just higher pitch than Colleen. But Jamie? Much, much deeper, more valley girl in her. If anything, Alexis Tipton sounds more like Jamie, only with a much higher pitch, but still got some valley in her voice.

Personally, I was hoping Leah Clark would fill the shoes of the mother. Damn fake Wikipedia entry getting my hopes up.

And, again, missed opportunity to get child voices for the roles. I mean, I like Alison Viktorin, but she's better suited for roles like Tomoko (HLP). And the twins in Negima. Never really watched Case Closed.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I don't know, I think Jamie Marchi and Colleen Clinkenbeard have EERILY similar sounding voices at times. Compare Jamie's voice for Aki Hinata in Sgt. Frog (or Ms. Valentine in One Piece) and Colleen as Margary Daw in Shakugan no Shana (or Yuko in xxxHolic). I'd swear they were the same person.

I also think Caitlin Glass and Leah Clark have similar voices AT TIMES. Not all of Clark's roles sound like Glass, and not all of Glass' roles sound like Clark, but I think their natural speaking voices are pretty similar (with Leah maybe being a BIT higher).

I didn't mean Laura Bailey, Brina Palencia, Cherami Leigh, and Jad Saxton share the same TYPE of roles. I meant that they have all been in cases where they were simply cast in a TON of roles over a short period of time. However, if Fairy Tail was cast a couple years earlier, I'd guarantee you Brina would be Happy (the role went to Tia Ballard, who is cast a lot, but not on the level of the girls mentioned above, and wasn't very active during Brina's reign as FUNi's "cute" voice), and if if were cast more recently, I could see Jad being Lucy. However, I totally called Cherami Leigh's casting for that character.

At this point, I'd say that Cherami is gone from FUNi for good, except for reprising old roles and possible some minor roles on the side. Though if she gets involved in enough on-camera work, I'm not sure she'd pull a Dameon Clark (and quit everything at FUNi, period), but I suppose it's possible. Same with Todd Haberkorn.
YesNoMaybe
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:49 pm Reply with quote
I am guessing that Hana is the young mother.

Let me first say that Colleen Clinkenbeard is one of my all-time favorite voice actresses.

But I am really not sure she can play a young mother role such as this. I really enjoyed her role in Canaan and she did a great job, but it took me a while to adjust to her older sounding voice. I thought the character voice should have been a little younger.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:46 am Reply with quote
YesNoMaybe wrote:
I am guessing that Hana is the young mother.

Well, not as young in the end...... going thru a dozen years....... though you may not notice by looking..........
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2