• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Colin Firth Acknowledges Being 'Approached' for Oldboy

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sykoeent

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I think you'd be a HORRIBLE actor for this role... NEXT!
blarg01

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:38 pm Reply with quote
sykoeent wrote:
This is a Hollywood remake. If they hire anyone they'll be "perfect" for this movie.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:38 am Reply with quote
blarg01 wrote:
sykoeent wrote:
This is a Hollywood remake. If they hire anyone they'll be "perfect" for this movie.

Perfect meaning what though, I wonder. Because perfect can mean just to read a script and do just that and that alone. Which in theory sounds reasonable, but completely boring in real terms.

Although I am sure not every aspect of Hollywood movies are like this, there are times, I think Hollywood would hire anyone even if they never acted before or even had any experience with any media at all.

But let me ask this, has there ever been a Hollywood remake that has been entirely faithful to the source material (be it manga or anime?) But also has a group of actors who actually thoroughly analyzed the series and really understood both the series and characters as well?

I'd be very hard pressed to say yes at all because any person can read a manga and or watch a anime series. That much is true, without doubt. But it takes an actual understanding to really understand a story and the characters. It's easy to just read or watch something, but to understand is a different category all together.

Although I am sure actors who never did any roles in anime roles, but might understand some of series, but when it comes down to actual acting on it, that is quite tough.

That being said, I imagine there is probably some hollywood actors that do watch anime and read manga, but to be brutally honest, I've always wondered if that truly does happen or if it's just said to placate others.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:02 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

But let me ask this, has there ever been a Hollywood remake that has been entirely faithful to the source material

The Twilight saga? Anime smile + sweatdrop
Mizmow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:44 am Reply with quote
I think, the issue with film adaptations is rather the fact that literature is very difficult to picturize and already too many ( or most) directors failed this task. The troubling part for fans of the original work are the new fans of the movie who never new the source and assess the work based on the movie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1