• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: School Rumble GN 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:40 am Reply with quote
That's the problem with School Rumble; it's a gag series that absorbed soap-opera elements as it went on, but retained its core identity as a gag series, meaning that there's no such thing as plot. Made me nostalgic for the Coyote-and-Road-Runner romantic comedy parody stuff in the beginning.
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Interestingly enough, Everything that Santos disliked about School Rumble is what I liked and vice versa. I guess that just shows personal taste. I find the action scenes in School Rumble the most boring part (Though the culture festival war from this and the previous volume is probably the most entertaining) and somehow I rather enjoy the repetitiveness.

Quote:
And most importantly, how could they do a bathhouse scene and not get any decent fanservice gags out of it?

That's one thing I especially like about Sukuran though. It's a funny, high school manga with a large cast of gorgeous females that doesn't rely on fanservice to be entertaining. It's probably the first of it's kind that didn't have moments where I felt awkward and thought to myself, "An adult man wrote and drew that... with underage girls?"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
W-General

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Actually, what I've liked about School Rumble were the times when they actually showed flashes of serious romance (e.g. with Eri in vol.6 and Yakumo in vol.7). But the reviewer basically hit the problem with School Rumble right on spot: the plot isn't going anywhere. It can go somewhere if the author wants it to like it has shown it is capable of, but usually it does. Or other times it goes somewhere, then backtracks to where it started.

After 20 volumes (I'm at vol.20 in Japanese), it still hasn't gotten anywhere, unfortunately, as much as I like it.
Grico

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:46 pm Reply with quote
W-General wrote:

After 20 volumes (I'm at vol.20 in Japanese), it still hasn't gotten anywhere, unfortunately, as much as I like it.

Aww, don't depress us like that! I really would like some plot movement. I don't know if I will be able to make it that far if there is no movement.
archaron

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:51 pm Reply with quote
How does the manga compare to the anime? The anime for me was very surprisingly good. I guess I still need to learn not judge a dvd by its cover. Laughing
joshuafer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Man 20 volumes and no plot progression ? Man...Maybe I will skip 10 volumes, heh. It does seem everytime anyone is going to admit they have any feelings for someone else, something happens to stop it. Usually Harima, but I think in this one it happened with Eri also.
Grico

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:45 pm Reply with quote
joshuafer wrote:
Man 20 volumes and no plot progression ? Man...Maybe I will skip 10 volumes, heh. It does seem everytime anyone is going to admit they have any feelings for someone else, something happens to stop it. Usually Harima, but I think in this one it happened with Eri also.

Yeah everybody has tragically bad timing when it comes to confessing. It's been enjoyable so far, but 10 more volumes of that? Seems like it will get way too repetitive.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:21 pm Reply with quote
archaron wrote:
How does the manga compare to the anime? The anime for me was very surprisingly good. I guess I still need to learn not judge a dvd by its cover. Laughing

It's pretty much the same thing. A few minor changes here and there, maybe, but there's not much of a pressing reason to read the manga volumes that correspond with the anime episodes you've already seen.
W-General

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I would still encourage people to read it, but it's very frustrating when there are mini-arcs of development in relationships, only to have some sort of stupid mistake (99.9% of the time by Harima) to reset things back to step 1.
Whim

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:24 am Reply with quote
That's not entirely true, it has plenty of plot progression, even though it does seem to come to a standstill at points.
spoiler[the manga is likely coming to an end soon in Japan, and not it doesn't seem like one of those cop-out endings that some series have.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1