• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Relocates Downloads, Outsources Online Orders

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joshuafer

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:26 am Reply with quote
So fulfillment means that instead of shipping it from an ADV warehouse. rightstuf ships it from their warehouse ? So adv does not have to deal with shipping and storage, since rightstuf will do it ?

Last edited by joshuafer on Thu May 08, 2008 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:11 am Reply with quote
If it's like our UK situation, ADV will have all their pressings sent wholesale to RightStuf for packaging and distribution to bricks and mortar shops, or direct to customers via online. No more ordering directly from ADV. Sadly this must also mean yet another amputation of a tentacle at ADV with more people looking for work.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:21 am Reply with quote
It's not completely clear from the article (but it is implied; no retailer orders through an online shop), but I'm pretty sure it's just direct-to-consumer fulfillment. Definitely something Right Stuf excels at.
Faceman

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:55 am Reply with quote
In terms of cost and personnel staffing, it's probably a lot cheaper to have Right Stuf ship out ADV's products, then to have them retain their own staff and storage for it, nevermind the logistics behind organizing it.

It also means more business for RightStuf, which is great for them, as they're one of my favorite retailers. Smile
joelgundam00

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:56 am Reply with quote
joshuafer wrote:
So fulfillment means that instead of shipping it from an ADV warehouse. rightstuf ships it from there warehouse ? So adv does not have to deal with shipping and storage, since rightstuf will do it ?

If it's the same as Funimation's Zstore, then all TRSI is doing is managing is their online store.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I guess this definitely means the end of the ADV website sales (y'know, the scratched out barcodes, not for resale) that are often cheaper than even Rightstuf (obviously, ADV just wanted to get rid of those returned to them by the stores).
AnimeCornerStore
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:57 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
It's not completely clear from the article (but it is implied; no retailer orders through an online shop), but I'm pretty sure it's just direct-to-consumer fulfillment.

That's correct, ADV is just offloading the inventory and shipping overhead for their direct B to C online orders to Stuf. Most of that is older stuff they are trying to liquidate like single DVD's that have already been made into boxed sets and such. All retailer fulfillment will continue to be filled by ADV directly. Filling all those tiny direct to customer orders is a lot of overhead for them, and they are looking to cut costs anywhere they can. I was talking to one of the VP's down at ADV yesterday and we briefly hit on that topic. They can stick their over stock and liquidation inventory out at Stuf's warehouse and pay them a small fulfillment fee per order. One company is trying to cut costs, and the other is looking to increase shipment volumes any way they can, so it's a good match.

Quote:
Definitely something Right Stuf excels at.

Hmmmmmm....... I'd better keep my mouth shut or Shawne will send the Brut Squad after me...... Twisted Evil LOL!

Bob (aka Robert)
The Anime Corner Store
Vulcannis

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:59 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
It's not completely clear from the article (but it is implied; no retailer orders through an online shop), but I'm pretty sure it's just direct-to-consumer fulfillment. Definitely something Right Stuf excels at.

Really? The one order I've received from them (I have 3 on pre-order at the moment) was a pain in the neck. I pay them for shipping, then when I go to the post office to pick it up I have to pay again. I'm in Canada, not Lithuania or something. If I'm going to be paying above and beyond what they charge for shipping, it better be shipped to my door (or duty, which sucks but isn't their fault.) Combined with the rather poor response from their customer support, the only stuff I'll ever buy directly from RightStuf anymore are my absolute favourite items, like Emma and Aria.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:28 pm Reply with quote
So does this mean RightStuf will be handling ADV's product related customer support from now on too? That would be nice since I'm starting to get a little fed up by the complete lack of a response to the last couple of support emails I sent to ADV.
Sakura Shinguji

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Vulcannis wrote:
jsevakis wrote:

Really? The one order I've received from them (I have 3 on pre-order at the moment) was a pain in the neck. I pay them for shipping, then when I go to the post office to pick it up I have to pay again. I'm in Canada, not Lithuania or something. If I'm going to be paying above and beyond what they charge for shipping, it better be shipped to my door (or duty, which sucks but isn't their fault.) Combined with the rather poor response from their customer support, the only stuff I'll ever buy directly from RightStuf anymore are my absolute favourite items, like Emma and Aria.

Just curious: when you're paying "again" at the post office, what exactly are you paying? Customs fees? More shipping fees for the post office? Or something else?

Whatever the case, I'd actually suggest e-mailing Shawne Kleckner (TRSI president) directly at [darklord (at) rightstuf (dot) com] about your customer service issues and your extra fees, which you might be paying unnecessarily depending on which entity is charging you. Though there are the occasional hiccups in the customer service department, Shawne himself is always very receptive to comments and concerns and does go out of his way to rectify problems that folks may have (within reason, of course). And yes, he does check his e-mail regularly and frequently.
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Vulcannis wrote:

I pay them for shipping, then when I go to the post office to pick it up I have to pay again. I'm in Canada, not Lithuania or something.

You're paying the Canadian government at the post office, not RightStuf. Every new item that comes into the country has to have duties paid on it when you receive it.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:22 am Reply with quote
Sakura Shinguji wrote:
Vulcannis wrote:
jsevakis wrote:

Just curious: when you're paying "again" at the post office, what exactly are you paying? Customs fees? More shipping fees for the post office? Or something else?

It depends in part where in Canada Vulcannis is—see this Anime on DVD thread.

Sakura Shinguji wrote:
Whatever the case, I'd actually suggest e-mailing Shawne Kleckner (TRSI president) directly at [darklord (at) rightstuf (dot) com] about your customer service issues and your extra fees, which you might be paying unnecessarily depending on which entity is charging you. Though there are the occasional hiccups in the customer service department, Shawne himself is always very receptive to comments and concerns and does go out of his way to rectify problems that folks may have (within reason, of course). And yes, he does check his e-mail regularly and frequently.

I agree wholeheartedly. Both he and Rich Harms (TRSI's CTO) are regulars on Anime on DVD's Retail forum, and do their very best to solve any problems about which members post.

As for the switch, while TRSI will (mostly) not offer prices quite as low as some of those from ADV's holiday sales, OTOH the products will not have their UPCs defaced, there will be shipping confirmation E-mail messages with the package tracking numbers included as well as more shipping options, and the average level of customer service will vastly improve.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:57 am Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
As for the switch, while TRSI will (mostly) not offer prices quite as low as some of those from ADV's holiday sales, OTOH the products will not have their UPCs defaced, there will be shipping confirmation E-mail messages with the package tracking numbers included as well as more shipping options, and the average level of customer service will vastly improve.

Hooray for no more defaced boxes!!! No more dreading the day I get the volume when the person running the drill press sneezed.

Also glad I went ahead and hit TRSI's last sale rather than counting on ADV's waning discount sales, they will be missed.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:29 am Reply with quote
AnimeCornerStore wrote:
Hmmmmmm....... I'd better keep my mouth shut or Shawne will send the Brut Squad after me...... Twisted Evil LOL!
I have to place another order with you just for the Princess Bride reference. Very Happy (I'm in the market for a Lucky Star Volume 1 with art box anyway.)

I do hope this isn't another sign that ADV's in trouble though. It seems like every time you turn around, something is going wrong with them.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:44 am Reply with quote
I forgot to mention—TRSI was also responsible for SoftCel Pictures' on-line fulfillment, after the latter was revived.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2