• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Greg Ayres?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gozar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:04 am Reply with quote
I was wondering something...I've heard a lot of fans say they hate Greg Ayres...Not because of his Voicing, but just hate HIM...Why is this? Is it soley because he's so anti-Fan sub?
daedelus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:09 am Reply with quote
It must be the fansub issue because he is a real nice person and a pretty good DJ as well.

Where are you hearing this stuff because I've never heard much of anything negative about him?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:22 am Reply with quote
Aside from the fansub issue, I'm guessing there's some "overexposure" hating going on, as in "Oh man, Greg Ayres got cast AGAIN?" Similar to how people hate on Johnny Young Bosch for having major roles in many high-profile series. But yeah, I can see his anti-fansub stance fueling a lot of the hate, especially among fansub-only watchers who think he's just out to save his job. If you watch the YouTube videos of his panel that are out there, you'll see he's not motivated by the "save my job" instinct.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:26 am Reply with quote
He's probably hearing this because Greg Ayres IS very well-liked. Anytime you have a VA who is unusually well-liked, you tend to have a very vocal minority who talk about their faults in a loud voice, like:

GREG AYRES HATES FANSUBS AND ACTUALLY GETS REALLY PISSED AT ANIME FANS IF HE SEES THEM WITH A BOOTLEG.

VIC MIGNOGNA IS A LOUDMOUTH WHO WON'T SHUT UP ABOUT HIS RELIGION OR MOST ANYTHING ELSE THAT HE THINKS HE HAS AN OPINION ABOUT.

CRISPIN FREEMAN IS AN OVERINTELLECTUAL BLOWHARD WHO LIKES TO INSULT FANS THROUGH VEILED COMMENTS.

Okay, so I don't support any of those statements at all, but I've heard them more than I've heard negative comments about any other popular VAs, because, well, they are well-liked by a lot of con-goers...dunno.

I have met Greg Ayres, and he seems to be a very genuinely nice person, albeit one with strong opinions and an even stronger allergy to BS...which makes him even cooler. Very Happy

EDIT: I made my negation even bigger and bolder so no one will be tempted to kill me. -.-'

Last edited by JacobC on Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:38 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

I have met Greg Ayres, and he seems to be a very genuinely nice person, albeit one with strong opinions and an even stronger allergy to BS...which makes him even cooler. Very Happy

I have to agree with that last part whole heartily. I've met him numerous times and thanks to helping work Nekocon the past 2 years hung out with him some behind the scenes and even more so with his older brother Chris. Greg does anime because he loves it and gave it up a very nice paycheck to do so. He does, as you said, though not like bs and is not afraid to speak his mind at all. You have to think that there are many more industry people who feel, to some degree, as he does about fansubs but he's the first real VA to strongly say/do anything about it and voice those opinions. And even if it was solely based on save my job idea is that honestly surprising? I mean if you loved your job wouldn't you want to keep it? I was at a con and someone muttered that in the back where I was about him and I had to fight the urge to go off on them. I mean wanting to save one's job is now a bad thing? Wth?!

Greg also has had a handful of really bad experiences with fans so I would imagine that's another reason he's more outspoken as a VA because some people have done some really stupid shit. I also agree with Zalis that he one of the more well known and high profile VA's here so of course he'll get more flak, and praise, then a lesser known VA like say Patrick Seitz for example (who is awesome btw).
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Aside from the fansub issue, I'm guessing there's some "overexposure" hating going on, as in "Oh man, Greg Ayres got cast AGAIN?" Similar to how people hate on Johnny Young Bosch for having major roles in many high-profile series. But yeah, I can see his anti-fansub stance fueling a lot of the hate, especially among fansub-only watchers who think he's just out to save his job. If you watch the YouTube videos of his panel that are out there, you'll see he's not motivated by the "save my job" instinct.

Who cares how many roles JYB gets, solely because he's leaving the voice acting business anyways. Get him as many roles as you can to remember him by. In case many of you don't believe me like so many other people who are too lazy to go to his forum and just keep questioning me, heres a link.

http://forum.eyeshine.net/viewtopic.php?t=5197&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

his name is Kermitfries on there. I'm not arguing against you Zalis, I'm just stating to all the people who think he's overused to shuddup.

I was ready to yell at JesuOtaku because of the vic mignona and crispin freeman comment till i read i do not believe any of this, lol. Crispin is a really nice guy, i've met him in real life. And I'm sure that Greg Ayres is a nice guy, he seems like it from the videos i've seen of him with the fans.
Gozar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:32 am Reply with quote
Thanks guys, that's kind of what I thought. I heard a few people ragging on him over and YouTube and yet I met the guy and he seems so nice.

Also I agree about Vic...I hatw when people bad mouth him because he thanks god a lot and stuff...I'm not a religious person...But it's certainly not a bad thing to be religious...It's not like Vic tries to force it on people. Vic's a sweetheart.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:15 am Reply with quote
As far as Vic's faith goes I support him. I think he should be allowed to feel and think whatever he wants and if religion is a big part of his life who cares? We're not watching him give sermons or some sort of religious message now are we? I also remember the case where a fangirl bad mouthed him to hell and back because he would not sign some yaoi fanart she had featuring a character he voiced. VA's do signings to be courteous to fans and show their appreciation for the fan's support. They don't have to do them at all. But they choose to do so. So it is certainly within their rights as guests at a con, and simply as human beings, to decide what they will and will not sign.
WhtHawk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:15 pm Reply with quote
The simple fact that he will sign any fan art at all sets him apart from some VAs.
queenofmallets

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Hm, yea, I don't know why either. I always thought he was an ok guy, he's nice and goofy.
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
I also remember the case where a fangirl bad mouthed him to hell and back because he would not sign some yaoi fanart she had featuring a character he voiced.
It seems to me that asking a VA to sign fanart (in general) is a bit gauche, because it's not "official product" (same with bootlegs). Asking them to sign sexually suggestive fanart (whether it's yaoi or het, whatever) is just tacky, IMO. Especially since, I'm assuming in this case it wasn't a yaoi series (because presumably Mr. Mignona wouldn't take a role like that, I'd guess).

Anyway, re: Mr. Ayres, one of my favorite con memories came courtesy of him: I was at a relatively small convention a few years ago and my friend and I were at a panel with the FMP! Fumoffu VAs; the room next to us was a gaming room (I think they were playing Halo actually) and as a result of poor soundproofing, the VA discussion was frequently punctuated by loud, male grunting and rather enthusiastic howling; after one particularly disruptive outburst, Mr. Ayres commented, "Must be the live yaoi panel" (at which about half the audience-- okay, mainly the female half-- busted up laughing).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:20 am Reply with quote
Yeah, he didn't ignore interruptions during the fansub panel at MTAC, either. Laughing

So, Greg's trying to carry on a quite serious discussion about fansubs and the industry, and Johnny Bosch is signing things and recording messages on people's phones, lots of loud screaming and famous lines. So every once in a while, as Greg's discussing boxsets and bootlegs, we get:

"TETSUUUOOOOOO!"

or

"LOVE AND PEACE!"

or

"IT'S MORPHIN' TIME!"

...until Greg slams his hands down on the desk, stands up and shouts, "Bosch! Shut the (grrrrr) up!" (Yes, he self-censored himself.) Then he called security, told them to take care of a disruptive moron in the hallway, and gave them Bosch's description. (In jest, of course. Apparently they're close friends. Laughing)
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:51 am Reply with quote
See, i like his VA stuff. And I think if I met him we could hang out, but his fansub rants make my head hurt. Although, most rants of any kind do that to me so... Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kabuto Tokugawa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:12 am Reply with quote
Why would anybody bad mouth Greg Ayres?
He seems like a nice enough guy from his websiteand some of his convension appearences.

I like his work, especially as Son Goku from Saiyuki Reload.

I find it odd that anyone would hate on this gentleman.

-KT
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:25 am Reply with quote
I think pretty much anyone in the public eye at all is going to have some haters. Particularly when you're dealing with fans of something on the internet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3