• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Witch Hunter Robin [Spoilers]

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rabbivj

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:39 am Reply with quote
CN just showed the final episode of Witch Hunter Robin today. I thought it was an excellent series and I do plan on buying it on DVD, but I thought the ending of it was kind of weak, they left a lot open. Is there any rumours for any OVAs of the series at all?

[EDIT - Since people later in the thread began discussing potential spoilers, I've added a few tags.. -C]
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:53 am Reply with quote
Nope, no sequels. I actually rather like the open-endedness of it, though. They don't just spoon-feed you all the information, and instead leave some of it out there to individual interpretation. It's not so much leaving you with "This is what happened to them, the end," but rather "What do you think happened just then?" Leads to more lively conversation, and it gives you a good starting point.

Overall, I thought it was a great series. Extremely slow to start, though, but once the show got going it really made up for that. Now I just have to go back & catch the few episodes I missed...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
one3rd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:16 am Reply with quote
Well...to answer the question more directly, yes, there probably are 50 million or so rumors about sequel/prequel OVAs/movies/series. I could start one right now if I wanted to. But there won't be anymore WHR just because rumors are flying.
tomcat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:09 am Reply with quote
Well lets all hope that the fools over at the scifi-channel don't muck up the story-line and try to stick their grubby fingers into a second series of WHR. I can see their cheap Vancouver backlot production values and hambone actors now messing up the storyline already.
Still I have questions, like were they spoiler[using the witches like soylent green to make the orbo]??? It must have been really nasty otherwise Robin wouldn't have put them down like that!
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:16 am Reply with quote
Well, for all the promise the series showed at the beginning with its engaging group of characters and intriguing premise, it sure as hell fell flat on its face to me.

The story was ambiguous at best. It felt thrown together and weak, and every attempt at a "wild new development" felt dry and feeble since there was no true build up or mystery surrounding it. Events were..... events. There was little rhyme or reason to them. I mean, folks, I was able to pick up on Rahxephon from episode 1 and this came across as a muddled, confusing mess.

The art and character concepts were good, but they were let down by flat out poor writing. I seriously believe that they were just pulling ideas out of a hat as they went along.

Oh well, at least I know I like Gundam Seed.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:17 am Reply with quote
tomcat wrote:
Still I have questions, like were they spoiler[using the witches like soylent green to make the orbo]??? It must have been really nasty otherwise Robin wouldn't have put them down like that!

Yep, spoiler[the witches were the anti-witch potion].
Freddy C

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:07 pm Reply with quote
WHR was had so much to offer but delivered so little, it was still a 'good' anime but that's all, the characters made it good and the story too but the ending was disappointing (last eps.). second series? probably, but you'd have to wait for it, hope its better than the first
Luff-Chan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I thought the last episode was tonight O_o Don't tell me I missed it?! I swear I saw that tonight was the last episode and they showed repeats starting April 1st. Unless, I am looking at the forums in a very wrong time zone.

But I missed the beggining of this series, I loved it all the way through. It is just on at 1 am for me, so I think I will end up either buying the DVDs or watching it Saturday nights when AS begins then.

And maybe it seemed cliffhangered because you saw the 25th episode, Redemption Day? Probably not, but I hope the last episode is still tonight!
Pessimistic Angel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:38 pm Reply with quote
It was good, though it really did not rate "excellence" level.

As for sequal/oav, no thanks.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:22 am Reply with quote
For the replay of the first episode, the guys at Williams Street have begun painting badly-drawn moustaches & glasses on the characters at random intervals. There was also a sombrero drawn on one of the crows and a face on the Chief's bald spot...

This is priceless, when I first noticed it I laughed so hard I couldn't breathe.

EDIT: It just dawned on me that it's now April 1st. Hah...by the way, they're pulling the same stunt on Inu-Yasha. Big O & Cowboy Bebop will likely get the same treatment. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Luff-Chan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:16 am Reply with quote
I can't beleive I missed the last episode. The stupid tvtome.com thing lied! I am so mad. Even though I havn't seen the beggining, now I missed the end! And I feel like a fool for what I said earlier.

Mustaches are funny though Anime hyper

Now I have to read about what happened. -_-
DCRavenX

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:28 am Reply with quote
When the show opened I said to myself ... wait amon soesn't have a moustache. Then proceeded to laugh myself silly.

That was a classic ... I've got to hand it to Williams Street. I nearly soiled myself when the moustaches would appear then the characters would walk to them.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:46 am Reply with quote
That was the last episode? Man, time sure flies by, I guess.

I don't know, the ending didn't seem too bad, but it just felt kind of abrupt to me. I actually thought the series was going to end next week, but I guess seeing one episode a day made it seem longer away.

In any case, I'm sure I'll probably buy the DVDs (hopefully in box set form,) and I'm sure I'll like it even more in Japanese. Ugh, I just can't stand Doujima's voice.

Very good series overall, but could've been better in the end.
Freddy C

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:02 pm Reply with quote
unlucky luff

but did anyone here feel that spoiler[that explaination in the end about witches and stuff was just crap? or a bit unsatisfactory, i mean i just felt like that the writers couldnt think of anything - a good way to end it so they stuck a lot of semi complicated stuff that sounded semi-clever and thinks that viewers could like it? ]

i like WHR but too disappointing especially to end it like that after the penultimate eps.
Shorty22

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I don't know. It started out pretty good, but got mundane with the 'capture the witch' formula. Everyone seemed so unemotional & flat sounding. I mean, they don't need to scream out in happiness over food, but something was definately needed. They all sound bored.

I really liked what seemed to be a turning point about halfway through when the STNJ was spoiler[stormed by those men who were after Robin/the orbo] but then it kinda settled down again afterward. Things didn't really seem to go anywhere until the spoiler[remaining STNJ members were getting hunted down as well.] The last few episodes were good, I liked them. But that doesn't save the whole series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2