• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Letter From The Encyclopedist [2008-07-31]

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:26 am Reply with quote
I think this is an excellent idea. Often when I question the validity of a piece of information I wish I could just see the source for it. This will be a great help in finding errors! Smile
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:48 am Reply with quote
Does this mean there'll be more audits for me to participate in? I like those- they're like online surveys that I actually care about.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JackCox

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:24 am Reply with quote
I'm happy for this, but once you start letting more established editors like myself have a shot at removing these idiotic errors I'll be a little more happy.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:54 am Reply with quote
Banzai! That looks good—three errors reported, and one refuted. Having the links next to each item definitely encourages me to make more reports.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:44 am Reply with quote
Even with minor details, a source is always important. While I do commend Anime News Network for allowing the community to add some data by themselves, I belive the editors here are also quite intelligent in this field as well.

I am simply glad that Anime News Network has a expansive encyclopedia as it is. Thank you for all the hard work you've done to implement this new change.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:46 pm Reply with quote
While on the subject I sort of have a question about an entry that I made, but was hesistent to make a thread about. What does it mean when an entry is in cyan? I think it means that that information isn't available to the public, but I am not sure which is why I am asking.

As for the new icons and meta menus, I think it increases the functionality of the encyclopedia, so that can only be a good thing right!?

Edit:
Okay, and this is really just a nitpick. But in the Meta-information prefrences menu. You should make it more clear that choosing the third option will display all three colors. In otherwords, it's not immediately clear that it is a progressive checklist.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:19 pm Reply with quote
This is interesting the way it's turning out, and I think that it will encourage more people to contribute to the encyclopedia in a better way. Not to mention we'll know what to look up now and such.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:30 pm Reply with quote
nice
NagaseTohru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Wow...I didn't realize how many people are submitting error reports for stuff that's so obviously correct (like the names of seiyuu who worked on the anime). Shocked

That's why I don't feel like submitting data. You spend all that time looking up info from sources and watching the Japanese credits from DVDs you own and then someone comes along after you and petitions to insert wrong info because they're uninformed or confusing two anime with similar names.

I've had data I submitted changed three times to the wrong info by confused people. It's frustrating. It's not info that is easily confirmable by website either so that makes it doubly difficult to change it back to being correct. After a couple times of going back and forth like that I just gave up.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm always impressed at the level of effort that goes into the Encylopedia.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:52 pm Reply with quote
NagaseTohru wrote:
Wow...I didn't realize how many people are submitting error reports for stuff that's so obviously correct (like the names of seiyuu who worked on the anime). Shocked

That's why I don't feel like submitting data. You spend all that time looking up info from sources and watching the Japanese credits from DVDs you own and then someone comes along after you and petitions to insert wrong info because they're uninformed or confusing two anime with similar names.

I've had data I submitted changed three times to the wrong info by confused people. It's frustrating. It's not info that is easily confirmable by website either so that makes it doubly difficult to change it back to being correct. After a couple times of going back and forth like that I just gave up.

Some people use unreliable websites to justify their mistakes which is annoying. Because of fansubs there are some fans who rely on the mistranslations. If you have the DVD credits as a source that should be proof enough. That's the only problem I find with the encyclopaedia: it's too website reliance.

I submitted some errors because I was surprised no one reported them. Like Pachelbel's Cannon in Evangelion.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I have a question.
Sometimes people forget to ad the * or ** to a leading seiyu's name. So sometimes the star of the whole show is listed in 27th place and such. Should I mark that as an error?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:29 pm Reply with quote
mistress_reebi wrote:
Some people use unreliable websites to justify their mistakes which is annoying. Because of fansubs there are some fans who rely on the mistranslations. If you have the DVD credits as a source that should be proof enough. That's the only problem I find with the encyclopaedia: it's too website reliance.
Proof enough that voice actress Yukari Tamura is also an animation director?

Hey, if I hadn't posted it, I know "somebody" would have ;) ;)
rti9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I remembered Moomintroll's complaint and found a very debatable finished audit. Now that we can see the results of audits, how can we ask for an "appeal process"? How do we object to the outcome of an audit and who would handle it? Should we just post a new thread for each individual title on the Encyclopedia section of the forum?
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I just discovered one amusing feature of the upgrade. I have my preferences set to "Also display [grey "i" icon] for other items", and in the Gantz manga entry there is a separate line under "Official website:" with only that icon on it (source: http://www.gantz.com.au/ ). I presume this is because the submitted item was hidden as no longer accurate—but this new upgrade reveals its existence.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2