• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kuroshitsuji (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Symmetrical_Magician

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:42 pm Reply with quote
After reading a particularly favorable ANN review about Kuroshitsuji and having toyed with the idea of reading the manga in the past, I decided to check out the anime. It was very good decision. Aside from plenty of eye candy for the fangirl, the show started of strong and has quite a bit of growing room.

The main characters are pretty intriguing, a butler who seems impeccable. spoiler[He does not seem to be human, though.] , and a young rich boy, Ciel Phantomhive, who is responsible for running the estate. They work well together, and Ciel is obviously going to live up to the mystery that an eye patch on a boy of that age implies. All in all, a promising new series.

What do others think of it?
Frankenstein

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Just watched the first ep. It's rather silly as how it goes back and forth between ultra serious and totally out of hand when concerning the other butlers. Overall, I'd say it looks to be like a decent watch.
solot58

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I haven't gotten around to watching the first ep but I'm lookin forward to seeing how they will incorporate comedy into such a dark plot.. I guess we'll see
poonk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Frankenstein wrote:
Just watched the first ep. It's rather silly as how it goes back and forth between ultra serious and totally out of hand when concerning the other butlers.
I agree-- I was unprepared for that maid's, eh, overstimulated antics whenever Sebastian so much as looks at her (it got kind of old quickly, imo). Honestly though, Sebastian is so capable I can't help but wonder why the rest of the staff is needed. But I am interested in seeing these "heroes" (dubious morals, questionable master/servant relationship, and all) punishing evildoers in future episodes, if that's the direction this is going. And I'm sure intrigued by the Ciel/Sebastian relationship, although one can vaguely guess how they're connected, based on the first few minutes of the episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:16 pm Reply with quote
It's funny that this is classified as shounen because it really seems like something for the girls but I guess everything with a plot like this is called shounen right? I like it though so far and it's nice to hear daisuke ono in a new show too.
Frankenstein

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:04 am Reply with quote
I will say that I am rather disappointed with the initial prologue...contracts and contractors are so overdone. Really? Is that the best you can come up with these days? Also, the show really gives off a similar feel to Soul Eater/Get Backers...which I very much enjoyed. I guess in all I'm really just hoping for something creative to come out of this.
Raida|23

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:03 am Reply with quote
I've watched only the first episode, and I kinda liked it.
I'm curious about their relationship, though...this young boy, with an eyepatch and a butler that likely isnt human? I was hooked Smile
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Impressive show so far. A-1 Pictures seems to be the new quality studio of the season, and both the story and production values were impressive. Impeccable acting by Maaya Sakamoto, and I think I will really like this show if they just keep the rumored shounen ai out.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 am Reply with quote
Well, the show has a definite yaoi-bait feel to it, but it is funny in parts. I doubt I'll stick around for the full season though.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:56 am Reply with quote
Kuroshitsuji seemed so damned familiar.I already knew the characters,but I couldn't figure out where I had seen this before.Then I realized today,that I had read the scans a while back,when it was mentioned on ANN.

Man,these kinds of stories are getting old though.The wealthy kid with an eyepatch (lame),the master butler with the spoiler[Demon secret ],as well as the improper/flunky crew,Phantomhive has running the rest of the mansion.Heh.

Overall it's pretty funny,and it's great to see it finally animated.It gets better,later.

One thing:Who the hell has a tacky Japanese rock garden,outside their mansion?The young master,that's who. Laughing
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I guess that I'm a bit behind on everyone else, but I just watched the first episode and I really enjoyed it. I can't help but laugh whenever Tanaka is on-screen. Who knew you could get so many laughs by doing so little? Laughing

The ED with SD Sebastian was mildly amusing too. Ended the episode with a smile. Smile

"Mamma Mia!" Laughing
Elfengantz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Personally i enjoyed the first episode, i like the dark butler good at everything but evil within. Man i laughed at the girl maid and her imaginative romance. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1