• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast Holiday Special The Third: Part One

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoandSo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:07 pm Reply with quote
And all the Madoka/Steins;Gate/FateZero fans lose their minds over your horrible taste and lack of justice and true love of anime.

If I had to make a brief lsit, I guess it'd come out like this;

5. Shiki (I forget if this came out this year or last. Eh.)

4. Chihayafuru (Not finished, but still extremely charming.)

3. Redline

2. Star Driver

1. Mawaru Penguindrum (which is reaching its finale today, in fact.)

And if I had to name a worst, it'd be Mirai Nikki, easily. This show is like a poster child of trying-too-thard, faux-edgy, contrived stupidity. Blech.
Saffire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Shiki or Redline are from this year.

2011 favorites:
1. Madoka Magica
2. Chihayafuru
3. Mawaru Penguindrum
4. Usagi Drop
5. Idolm@ster
SoandSo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:

Eh, they had Redline in their lists, so that's fair game at least.
Saffire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:39 pm Reply with quote
SoandSo wrote:
Saffire wrote:

Eh, they had Redline in their lists, so that's fair game at least.
Ah, can't listen to it yet Sad Sounds fair then. And also necessitates a shift in my list...I'd probably drop Redline in at 4 and push Usagi Drop to 5.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:45 pm Reply with quote
When you say movies, do you mean anime movies, or regular movies?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:50 pm Reply with quote
As stated explicitly in the show, the top 5 anime are things we saw this year, not necessarily things produced this year. Most of what we list saw a physical media release this year in one region or another.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I really didn't see much newer anime this year. I mostly rewatched stuff I already had. Finished Dragon Ball Kai, watched Eden of the East (show and movies) on Blu-Ray, watched Evangelion 2.22, watched Summer Wars, and am watching Gundam AGE and Mawaru Penguindrum. Other than that, finished rewatching LoGH and watched DBZ on Dragon Boxes.

I think Penguindrum is shaping up to be the best TV series I've seen this year, but the best anime movie and best anime I've seen overall this year was Evangelion 2.22.

I haven't seen Redline yet. I'm going to wait for the Blu-Ray to come out over here. I asked for The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya for Christmas, so I might get to see that before the year ends.

The only (non-anime) movies I've seen this year were The King's Speech (excellent), Rio (decent), Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (better than that third movie, IMO), and X-Men: First Class (good). I plan to see the second Sherlock Holmes movie this week.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:40 pm Reply with quote
My personal top 5 this year would be (in no particular order):

Madoka - it was different, the story wasn't half-assed and it made me care about little girls with big weapons and funny dresses.
Fate/Zero - not my favourite Typemoon work, but it feels very good to have a competent adaptation of that world.
Carnival Phantasm - comedy crossover of Typemoon works that is all in-jokes and kinda shows that it's not just about world building, but also fun characters.
Mawaru Penguindrum - great use of visuals and metaphors, will see if the story pays off.
Macross Frontier 2nd movie - looked great, sounded great, had a troll ending, which I was fine with.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:00 pm Reply with quote
My top 5 were
5) Revolutionary Girl Utena- Absolutely brilliant, had some gorgeous imagery and riveting sword fights
4) 5 Centimeters per Second- My first Shinkai film! Gorgeous to look at and a well written story as well
3) C-Control- the imagery was amazing and the world constructed was fascinating (to me at least)
2) Chihayafuru- Gorgeous to behold, well written and sympathetic characters
1) Wandering Son- Beautiful from start to finish, touching on subject matter seldom seen in anime, some of the most well-constructed realistic characters I've seen in media of any type
Dr. Osaka

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Skip the second part of this unless you want to hear two film school dorks spout pretentious critic buzzwords.
_V_

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:10 pm Reply with quote
"Shinji represents weakness in general, and probably Japaness weakness in particular. I stand by this theory" -- Zac

That isn't even really a "theory": Hideaki Anno has made some rather bold comments about his views on Japanese-American relations and how Japan is a nation of "big children" otaku and how Evangelion contains commentary on this. I mean Zac, as a fan of the original series, it took you this long to realize that the Eva-03 storyarc is a criticism of the USA? (Eva-03 being "Made in the USA" etc.). Rebuild of Eva 2.0 didn't really change that part of the plot, it was present in the original. Maybe it just seems fresher now, or more obvious because its a movie that you see "in marathon" for 90 minutes, instead of slogging through episodes 8 through 19 (more or less what the movie covers).

But I haven't particularly heard anyone....denying that point, Zac. As if its a theory you have to defend or "stand by".

The social-political commentary in Evangelion, the *views of the Japanese creators themselves* just seem a bit more obvious in movie-form, but they were always there.

I mean this goes back to Gunbuster and stuff; in the background, its loaded with references that in the fictional future-history, before the war against the Space Monsters, Japan went to war with the USA and conquered Hawaii. Anno has even pointed this out at conventions and stuff.

He's disgusted with how he feels that Japan relying on the USA to be its Big Brother in international politics turned them, in the words of Hetalia: Axis Powers, into "Mr. I-Fully-Agree-With-America".

Nonetheless, according to the interviews in the "Complete Destruction of All Records" guidebook (which I really hope FUNimation would get around to publishing through a third party to spread awareness of this info), we can tell a bit about what the plot of Rebuild of Eva 3.0 will be like:

For you see, spoiler[in the interviews] Kazuya Tsurumaki spoiler[said that he agreed to come back to work on the remake only on the condition that] Hideaki Annospoiler[ promised him that the third movie would focus on ]"Rei 3", spoiler[the third Rei clone. She's only in the series for about an episode and a half (episodes 23/24) but she's subtley different from "Rei 2" in several intriguing ways they only got to hint at. So ]Tsurumaki spoiler[demanded that they push Rei 2 dying to earlier in the story, i.e. in the fight against the razor-armed ]Angel Zeruel. spoiler[ The original plan was thus to have Rei 2 actually die in the climactic fight at the end of the movie. Unfortunately, the movie studio got upset that a movie would end on such a downer, so due to "executive meddling" they forced them to have that "happy Ghibli style ending with shipping". ]

"The whole movie is a Giant Rei/Shinji Shipper fest!"

So needless to say, Tsurumaki spoiler[got into a huge fight with Anno that he broke his word over the big condition he had. It might just be about how they chose to "end" the second movie, but in all probability, Rei 2 will die in the beginning of the third movie so it can focus on Rei 3, as was promised to] Tsurumaki. spoiler[ Indeed, the preview trailer shows "Rei" dressed in the clothes that Rei 3 typically wears.]

spoiler[As for killing ]Asuka spoiler[in Eva-03, they said the only reason they did that was because the Rebuild movies had to condense down the school characters to the point that Toji isn't very prominent, so killing him wouldn't have any real emotional impact. Thus, they killed off Asuka....and then had to figure out how to get her in that position in the plot, which involved building up the ]"Rei/Shinji shipperness"spoiler[ in the first half as a *PLOY*, a giant ploy, just to explain why Asuka would feel the need to prove herself by piloting ]Eva-03.

spoiler[The odd thing is that a lot of reviewers took it at face value that "wow, this is the new "Happy Evangelion" version, and this time Shinji's going to end up with Rei"....when in reality the whole Rei thing is just a fake-out....]indeed, the original series sort of played up their shipperness a bit a well in the later episodes before revealing she was a clone, it was always a major plot twist. How soon we forget.

But the big problem was of course how to fit "new character" Mari Makinami into the movie...spoiler[....the idea was to not even feature her until Rebuild of Eva 3.0, jut cameos in the second movie. Showing the awesome power of thousands of hikkikomori on 2chan, there was such an overwhelming fan-response to her mere appearance in the Rebuild of Eva 1.0 preview, that they kept giving her more to do. Why? Because Mari is an excuse to make different merchandise.]

Last edited by _V_ on Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:26 pm; edited 5 times in total
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I just bought Summer Wars recently, but haven't watched it yet. Why did I buy it, though? Because of one super-short clip of it on FUNimation Channel that reminded me of Digimon: Our War Game, which was an awesome movie. Zac seems to indicate that people are putting down Summer Wars because of how it's seemingly similar to Our War Game, but that ended up being the reason why I bought it. I don't really see why people would necessarily put down one movie because of similarites to a previous one, especially when it's from the same director and has about 10 years between the two. Man, I wish Digimon was given a full DVD release, and uncut at that. I would easily love to own Our War Game on DVD without going to Digimon the Movie. Here's hoping that Summer Wars can give me a similar enjoyment.

Out of the rest of the anime lists, Tiger & Bunny is the only one that I saw some bit of, and I do agree that it is a good show, even from the first two episodes, which is what I show of it. I do have Eva 2.2, but like Summer Wars I haven't watched it yet. I should really watch that too, though.

Some of my favorites that I've seen this year, though? It would probably be something like this, but without any order, since I hate putting things in favorites order:
Ring ni Kakero 1: Sekai Taikai-hen (A little bit of re-using animation, but it fully delivered on what the show had been building up to since season 1)
Kaiji: Hakairoku-hen (Simply amazing... That's all I can say)
Arion (a late-80s movie by Sunrise based on a Yoshikazu Yasuhiko manga about the Greek pantheon; I wonder why it was never licensed back in the 90s or early 2000s, because it was so good)

Yeah, I didn't see too much of what was released or aired this year, but that's how it usually is. Didn't see many movies this year, so I refrained from listening to that.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I wholeheartedly agree with Zac's #1 pick. Redline pretty much mesmerized me from start to finish, and the only thing I hate about it is that I'll probably never see it in a theater.

Justin's pick, on the other hand... Well, it seems every year there's at least one show everyone else think is brilliant while I can't seem to "get it". This year, it's Tiger & Bunny. I forced myself to watch the whole thing, and pretty much nothing about it impressed me, even though I love super-heroes.

My favorite TV series this year was Ano Hana (the show that came closest to make me cry since Honey & Clover II), followed closely by Madoka Magica, although Mawaru Penguindrum could surpass both, depending on how it ends.

Last edited by Zhou-BR on Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:40 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I really didn't see much newer anime this year.

Same here. I've been too busy with credential work to keep up a steady stream of watching anything new. I either watched import boxsets or TV series I had gotten through a few episodes of, but tapered off. I've haven't even finished Clannad After Story for pete's sake (watched the first six episodes when I was overseas, never got around to the rest between then, which was 2009, and now). I suck at keeping up consistent watching. -_-

Last edited by belvadeer on Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:41 pm Reply with quote
My favorites for the year:

1. Puella Magi Madoka Magica
2. Mawaru Penguindrum
3. Ikoku Meiro no Croisée
4. Yuruyuri
5. Suite Precure
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5