• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop's Pavia Interviewed, Reveals CSI License

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
einhorn303

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:44 am Reply with quote
Maybe it'll be like Blackjack, heh.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:57 am Reply with quote
Oh Tokyopop, you so crazy.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:06 am Reply with quote
Are the CSI folk still going to carry weapons and make arrests like they never do in real life?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:11 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Are the CSI folk still going to carry weapons and make arrests like they never do in real life?

That would be especially funny since the story supposedly involves "teenage interns". I doubt it though. Hell, this manga might end up giving a more realistic depiction of what it is to be a forensic scientist if these kids are stuck in the lab all the time Laughing

Quote:
we have not cancelled any series; we’ve really just adjusted the release pattern of certain series.

So I'll see volume four of Suppli in...a year? Two?

On another not, I too wonder how much of an effect scanlations have on book sales. I doubt it's as proportionally large as the effect fansubs have on DVD sales, but then again I know little about scan sites.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:26 am Reply with quote
...A CSI manga.

Yeah, um, I'm a little skeptical of this one. Then again, I guess that's not what I typically choose when I watch TV, anyway. Still...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Chappers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:52 am Reply with quote
It'd be a lot easier to draw if it was CSI:Miami, since half the panels would probably consist of Horatio looking at the ground, Horatio taking off his sunglasses, Horatio putting his sunglasses back on... etc.

Probably wouldn't inspire those otaku who haven't tried to become CSIs that they should cosplay in those anti-contamination suits they actually wear, either.

Nevertheless, sounds fairly interesting. At least the splitscreening is automatic if it's a GN.
cetriya

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:29 am Reply with quote
from what I've noticed with scanlations is that its a pre-teen to teen thing. By the time most of my friends got 20+ or went to collage/full time work, we just can't stand to be on the PC any more...

Most that I know only read scanlation because we dont have the money for the shear amount of stories that we may read and drop a few chapters later... it may amount to about 200$ a month if we had to pay for all of them. but its not like not of us bought a manga or 2 a month.

Now we just dont have the time or patience to surf the internet daily for new listings of low quality scans. Just wait till the book comes up.

Even when its not licensed. We tend to just wait for a few chapters to collect anyways cause well... who has the time?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:11 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Yeah, um, I'm a little skeptical of this one. Then again, I guess that's not what I typically choose when I watch TV, anyway. Still...

I just don't watch TV myself. All I know about CSI is that it involved a lot of sunglasses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:43 am Reply with quote
I thought VIZ already released a C....

Oh wait, that was Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. Nevermind.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:46 am Reply with quote
Well, I've already seen a couple of CSI comic series from IDW publishing. Not too surprised that TokyoPop picked it up. Interestingly, this is the third media adaptation that IDW and TokyoPop share. They've also both had comics of Ghostbusters and Star Trek. Yet for some reason one company calls them comics and the other releases OGN (original graphic novels) and calls them 'manga'.

Anyone else bothered that TokyoPop maintains a very loose and undefined definition of manga?
Quote:
For years we’ve been publishing OEL: original manga, global manga from creators in North America and around the world. We’re also getting into graphic novels which we’re releasing next year--graphic novels from Europe and Asia; we’re experimenting with full color. Over-all people have been pretty open. We always come from the position that your DNA doesn’t determine whether it’s a manga or not.

He says they're looking into graphic novels from Asia and Europe. What seems to be this guy's definition of the difference between manga and graphic novels? Color! Are you joking? How is this guy working in publishing? What total BS. Plus the way he talks about mining IPs so unabashedly without even mentioning the names of creators that actually made the books is another bit that disgusted me in this interview.

I'm also disturbed that TokyoPop seems to be betting on licenses rather than original works. The way they seem to have simply dropped or hardly supported their original works bothers me. Now they're really pushing adaptations of movies and TV shows instead. Is that really manga? I know Japan does adaptations of TV shows, like Wolf's Rain or various Gundam series or Code Geass. They've even done manga adaptations of American comics like Batman, Spider-man and Witchblade. Yet most of their manga are original works. Just when I thought TokyoPop couldn't make themselves any more alien to how actual manga works, they're now using popular US TV show adaptations as a crutch to keep their company going. Bad move.

Plus it bothers the hell out of me that this CSI comic series seems to be aimed at teens. So TokyoPop is propagating the bad stereotype that manga is for kids or childish. Why not just adapt CSI directly instead of making CSI Jr. What's next? Law & Order: High School Division the manga? Grand Theft Auto: The Teenage Years? (Well, might as well just adapt Bully there.) Pirates of the Caribbean: Young Jack Sparrow? (Actually, scratch that, Disney's publishing already has a line up of kids novels based on that. Ugh.)

Plus how many teens really watch CSI? Doesn't that show skew older anyway?

Though I am intrigued to see Horatio made a pun then put on his glasses in a cliche anime sequence.

Looks like someone... just got their bento.. boxed.

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:29 am Reply with quote
xenos wrote:
Anyone else bothered that TokyoPop maintains a very loose and undefined definition of manga?

Oh great, not you again. Look don't tried to start a flame war (with me or anyone else) like you did at "OEL Jumping the shark".

Look, it doesn't matter if they want to draw CSI in a manga-style drawing. It's still an art, all right. Even if they didn't called OEL manga or Global Manga a manga, it would still sell just because of art and the storyline. I don't care if you don't like OEL manga or it's marketing scheme, OEL manga (Global manga). OEL manga sell half as well as Japanese one. Look, comic or manga it would still sell just because of the art and storyline. Don't you ask me what manga-stlye is, alright. that's a hard definition. OEL manga (Global Manga) is still an art, it's part of globalization and cultural exchange.

Quote:
They've even done manga adaptations of American comics like Batman, Spider-man and Witchblade. Yet most of their manga are original works. Just when I thought TokyoPop couldn't make themselves any more alien to how actual manga works, they're now using popular US TV show adaptations as a crutch to keep their company going. Bad move.

How come when it comes to Japan adapting superheroes into manga and anime, you're ok with it. you also forgot the Powerpuff girls, ir became a anime Powerpuff girl Z. But when USA like Tokyopop adapt something into a manga-style comic, you're not ok with it. Even before Tokyopop, US comic have adapted several anime/manga into American comic.

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Planets_(comics)[/url] (The Battle of the Planet comic)

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robotech_(comics)[/url] (robotech comic)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dirty_Pair (Dirty Pair comic by Adam Warren)

I think I recalled IDW was the company that adapted Speed Racer into a comic book. they also adapt Vampire Hunter D into a American Comic book also.

Quote:
Plus it bothers the hell out of me that this CSI comic series seems to be aimed at teens. So TokyoPop is propagating the bad stereotype that manga is for kids or childish. Why not just adapt CSI directly instead of making CSI Jr. What's next? Law & Order: High School Division the manga? Grand Theft Auto: The Teenage Years? (Well, might as well just adapt Bully there.) Pirates of the Caribbean: Young Jack Sparrow? (Actually, scratch that, Disney's publishing already has a line up of kids novels based on that. Ugh.)

I don't think this will go that far, I'm ok with CSI as a manga. But I don't think taking Grand Theft Auto as a manga would not be appealing. I don't think Pirates of the Caribbean as OEL manga would not be cool, but Disney already have Stitch becoming a anime in Japan.
Quote:

uh, many teen in high school watch CSI, I know many of my high school friends watch CSI. The show has a lot of action and nice plotlines that keep many high school teens' blood pumping.

don't make this a issue. I don't care if you don't like OEL manga or it's marketing. People read this because of art and storyline, not because it's labeled "manga". Don't make this a big issue like you did to every topic about manga. Let people called OEL manga (global manga) whatever they want, it's their call. Look even Japan are calling OEL manga (Global manga), "International manga".

as said by Minister for Foreign Affairs Taro Aso

Quote:
encompasses all foreign comics which draw inspiration from the unique "form of presentation and expression" found in Japanese manga

Let CSI become a OEL manga, if it sells well, it sells well. Not because it labeled manga, it's because of the art and storyline. Don't start a flame war over this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:36 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:

Battlestar Galactica was in their last TRSI sale.

I can see the reason for it, though I hate that it means I may not see many titles I was reading finish. I used to think InuYasha would be the title finishing up when I retire in about a decade. Now it's TP titles like Queen's Knight (We only had a couple more to go. Same with BTX)

On the other hand, as much of a joke as Star Trek is here in the States, the fans DO support it. They DO buy books, etc. And it's just possible a Star Trek "manga" would sell more copies than any number of shojo titles TP has licensed randomly. Battlestar Galactica, CSI, etc., have built-in audiences. For the same reason animation studios & manga companies make titles based on popular games is because those games are perceived to have an existing audience. They don't have to pitch the story, just get the product into the hands of the fans who will buy such an item.
Not to mention they don't have to pay a translator. If the title is picked up in another contry, it's TP that gets the fees instead of paying them. Makes a lot more sense even if it stomps all over their existing fanbase.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Their translation team is so bad they have to release this crap to make up for it (which it doesn't)
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:56 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

Quote:

uh, many teen in high school watch CSI, I know many of my high school friends watch CSI. The show has a lot of action and nice plotlines that keep many high school teens' blood pumping.

Not to mention that they dwell into sexual situations quite often. Reference the Lady Heather episodes and the "Fur-Pile" in CSI, the Judge and his Nitrous Oxide Fetish in CSI-Miami, and the "pedophile dangers" of MMORPG play on CSI:NY.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1