• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kurozuka (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HMMcKamikaze

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Kurozuka

I'm surprised that no one has made a topic for this show yet, or at least the search engine revealed nothing.

Anyway, I watched the first episode and I was really impressed. The animation is exceptional. Some scenes even used stop-motion shots that reminded of the camera techniques used in The Matrix. It moved slowly for the most part, but the fights were exciting (albeit bloody,) and the ending was definitely surprising. Even in the span of 20 minutes the characters were developed enough that I felt remorse over what happened to them.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I stumbled into the first episode by accident, mostly because it was made by Madhouse. I liked what I found for the most part, I like the implied premises. But it did have some weaknesses, the CG backgrounds in some scenes were fairly noticeable, the love between the two leads didn't exactly feel natural, just kinda there, and the ultra-cliche "don't go in the room", "Okay!", "Goes in the room anyway." felt a tad hackneyed.

Still, the animation was fluid, the violence extreme, and I like where the OP and opening scene suggest where the show is going. So I'm on board for at least one more episode.
ArchertheRed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:28 pm Reply with quote
When I already read the manga version of the anime, I don't really like watching it since the story is almost exactly the same (even more so if it is done by Madhouse). But now I will consider watching it.
furizaa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Just saw episode 2 this morning. The first half was kinda confusing/boring, but then when they flashbacked/forwarded (dunno what it was, just kinda Quentin Tarantino'd) it got intense! If I had any doubts about this show, they're gone now, and I can't wait for next week
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
HMMcKamikaze

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I also saw episode two. I did find it confusing for the most part, but the ending -- like the last episode -- was good enough that I want to keep on watching. Things should get a lot more interesting now.
furizaa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I've seen up through episode 4 now. Episode 3 was kinda confusing with some continuity, but after seeing episode 4, it's starting to come together. This show's getting a lot better as well =o
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
spoon89

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I've seen up through episode 4 now. Episode 3 was kinda confusing with some continuity, but after seeing episode 4, it's starting to come together. This show's getting a lot better as well =o

I agree, i think the point of this anime is to explain things slow but i still dont know how the protagonist was able to get spoiler[his head back on his neck after it was cut off by his former ally in episode 3 because by episode 4, the dude is back to normal o_O]
8JF

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:41 am Reply with quote
Where is this anime set? It was looking like an ultra violent period piece for the first episode but now its moving into a post apocalypse modern setting that seems to combine vampires, aliens and M. Bison.

Anyone else turned off by the stick legs? spoiler[The half naked guy with the prostitute was a little creepy looking with his overly thin exposed legs]
furizaa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:25 pm Reply with quote
spoon89 wrote:
Quote:

I agree, i think the point of this anime is to explain things slow but i still don't know how the protagonist was able to get spoiler[his head back on his neck after it was cut off by his former ally in episode 3 because by episode 4, the dude is back to normal o_O]

I was kinda wondering that too... My two theories are that he either spoiler[grew his body back over the hundreds of years he was asleep (lol?)] or spoiler[Kuromitsu surgically put his head on someone else's body, as seen in that weird dream-like scene of episode 2 (I think it was 2) where she was talking to his head, which was sitting on a shelf.]
8JF wrote:
Where is this anime set? It was looking like an ultra violent period piece for the first episode but now its moving into a post apocalypse modern setting that seems to combine vampires, aliens and M. Bison.

It starts off in feudal Japan, but after spoiler[Kuro loses his head, when he wakes up, he's in some futuristic post-apocalyptic Japan.] (Spoiler from episode 4 ->)spoiler[It shows in episode 4 that there was a brief period in time that he had woken up and found Kuromitsu in the future, but after she was "killed"/captured, he went to sleep for another 20 years, up until the current plot.]
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:06 pm Reply with quote
furizaa wrote:
spoon89 wrote:
Quote:

I agree, i think the point of this anime is to explain things slow but i still don't know how the protagonist was able to get spoiler[his head back on his neck after it was cut off by his former ally in episode 3 because by episode 4, the dude is back to normal o_O]

I was kinda wondering that too... My two theories are that he either spoiler[grew his body back over the hundreds of years he was asleep (lol?)] or spoiler[Kuromitsu surgically put his head on someone else's body, as seen in that weird dream-like scene of episode 2 (I think it was 2) where she was talking to his head, which was sitting on a shelf.]
8JF wrote:

It starts off in feudal Japan, but after spoiler[Kuro loses his head, when he wakes up, he's in some futuristic post-apocalyptic Japan.] (Spoiler from episode 4 ->)spoiler[It shows in episode 4 that there was a brief period in time that he had woken up and found Kuromitsu in the future, but after she was "killed"/captured, he went to sleep for another 20 years, up until the current plot.]

Beyond that, episode 4 showed spoiler[that he had been awake during other periods of history, including Tokyo during the Second World War. I'm sure there will be a number of historical flashbacks throughout the series now.]

Now with more episodes I'm still really not sure what to think about this series. Its actiony, its violent, but it really likes its non-linear storytelling, Which leads to some pretty strange story progression.

Also, making the leads out and out spoiler[Vampires] instead of something similar but different like I thought they were doing with the immortality angle, felt a bit weak.

I still like it enough though. But I don't think I'd ever buy it, unless it does something really interesting and fresh.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:36 pm Reply with quote
so with a bit more time on my hands, I've decided to follow Madhouse's latest, and I'm through episode 7.

It's strange and jarring, but also pretty cool. The time jump was tough to follow, but now that they're slowly going back and unfolding pieces of Kuro's memory it has started to get interesting.

spoiler[I'm trying to figure out why Kuromitsu killed him. 1.)it's a fake memory and she didn't kill him 2.) she was protecting him somehow or 3.)well, I don't really see the point of her doing it just because she didn't like him/is truly evil. She had to know he'd come back to life, plus that would be a huge character deviation from what we've already seen (which could be entirely possible, it would just kind of ruin the romance). Maybe she's using him? Most signs point to her motive being noble.

One problem is that the characters aren't all that sympathetic. Apart from Kuro we hardly know anything about anyone, and even he's hard to sympathize with since the one-track-mind thing is a bit boring. And more than half his lines are "Kuromitsu"

I did like him asking Saniwa about her, though...that was endearing.

The new villains introduced in this episode are cool but far less intimidating than that ultra-creepy dude Kuro destroyed. I'm not sure how I feel about their world; it's almost like Samurai 7 in mashing up old samurai style with new technology like laser beams and giant mecha-like things.]
demonroach

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:25 am Reply with quote
ep7spoiler[

I think she killed him to keep him from being captured. It doesnt seem as anyone in that world knows that he is also a vampire just like she is.....but maybe turning him into a vampire makings him a lessar type...who knows. I really dont think we are going to see kuro again until near the end.

]
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:25 am Reply with quote
episode 8

well, another wonderfully weird episode complete with confusing transition/drug dream and...feces. I've never seen the word feces so many times in a row (or spelled WRONG so many times in a row.)

spoiler[I was SO happy when they returned to the actual plot with Saniwa/informant guy/blonde girl/dude with the gun...I was afraid we were going to get another switcheroo. Anyway, it seems as though Kuromitsu can somehow let her spirit or soul travel outside of the Red Castle, because now that's where Kurou needs to go. At least the plot seems to be moving along.

I'm wondering if his servant who betrayed him is somehow immortal? All of the government's soldiers seem to be wearing his symbol.

And does anyone have any ideas about why Kuromitsu cut Kurou's head off in that memory in episode 7? That still didn't get answered.]

Man, it may be kind of freaky but this show is addicting.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:15 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
so with a bit more time on my hands, I've decided to follow Madhouse's latest, and I'm through episode 7.

It's strange and jarring, but also pretty cool. The time jump was tough to follow, but now that they're slowly going back and unfolding pieces of Kuro's memory it has started to get interesting.

spoiler[I'm trying to figure out why Kuromitsu killed him. 1.)it's a fake memory and she didn't kill him 2.) she was protecting him somehow or 3.)well, I don't really see the point of her doing it just because she didn't like him/is truly evil. She had to know he'd come back to life, plus that would be a huge character deviation from what we've already seen (which could be entirely possible, it would just kind of ruin the romance). Maybe she's using him? Most signs point to her motive being noble.]

You think? spoiler[I don't know that we can say anything about anyone's motivations. The best way to look at the situation is that everyone is at least slanting the truth in their favor, if not outright lying. About the only assumptions I am willing to make is that the Red Imperial Army, or anyone wearing that particular symbol, is evil, and that Kuro is probably motivated by honest intentions. Anything else is questionable. Kuromitsu most of all. The first two episodes show that she pretty much lives off of deception.

She does remain with Kuro and apparently protects him, but we don't really know why. Maybe it's due to love/lust, but maybe she's just as evil as one would expect a vampire to be and has some other motivation for watching over him. She's never completely forthcoming with him, and I'm not entirely sure that I buy the "you're not ready to handle the full truth" reasoning.]
klmnumbers

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:38 pm Reply with quote
This show is unbelievably addicting and completely gorgeous to look at. The first couple episode really impressed me, and I kind of wish spoiler[we could've stayed in feudal Japan, but meh. future sci-fi stuff works too].

The non-linear storytelling is a bit odd, but refreshing. I just hope we start getting more answers rather than questions.

The character designs are A+++ imo, and I really like the animation. I wish there was a bit more characterization of our protagonist though. spoiler[In the first couple episodes, he had history, spark, and a sense of nobility. Now he's just kinda the silent type who is pining for his immortal girlfriend and lets random people pull him around and do what they need.. letting himself get used. so, that's a bit offputting.]

Also, the episodes recaps as Noh (? I think... I don't know tons about Japanese history although I did recognize spoiler[who Kuro and Benkei are supposed to be =)] theatre are really neat.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2