• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Cracks Down on Bootleggers at Anime Expo

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:51 pm Reply with quote
http://www.bandai-ent.com/news/pr.cfm?id=81

Well, Bandai did say they would have more information at their panel and there indeed was a press release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Abel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I just posted about this in the retail section since ANN has not posted this in the news section as of yet.

(Revision. This is now on the main page.)

In any case... this makes my day. Long have I waited for those guys named in the press release to get what they deserve. They have been doing it for years and one of them has the habit of selling fan subs in their store. Now if you will excuse me... I can not stop smiling and laughing. I am happy we never carried such items. Twisted Evil

Last edited by Abel on Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:03 am; edited 2 times in total
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I just said the other day that abctoy4me has been selling boots, they have a whole section labeled " Anime Import English Dubbed Dvd " which is like having a huge sign saying that they sell boots. I'm glad they're getting what they deserve.

It looks like they've taken all of Bandai's releases off, but the rest are still on there. Wonder if any other companies will get in on the action.
Abel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Talking to a friend online he did mention he hoped Geneon does take advantage of this opportunity to crack down on these pirates.

I am so happy I want to cry. Very Happy
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Looks like they want to take an agressive stance. In the release it says if anyone (including fans) find a place selling boot of their releases to let them know at [email protected]
Abel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
Looks like they want to take an agressive stance. In the release it says if anyone (including fans) find a place selling boot of their releases to let them know at [email protected]

Does that include Anime Castle?

DVD in question

I will shoot Bandai an email and see what happens.

Last edited by Abel on Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Even though anime castle is advertising on ANN??? Hmm... not good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Well I don't think ANN would really want them to advertise if they could do anything about it.. but a contract's a contract
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Well, when the contract is up, they probably shouldn't renew it.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:52 pm Reply with quote
I doubt they will, especially if ani castle gets served with a lawsuit
Abel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Well if AC quickly cleans up their act I figure the issue may be resolved. However the contacts are annual and they have been on for more then a year. It makes you wonder if the money they provide is good enough to look the other way. If you look at the advertising rates for the year and then notice that they are also on the left side of the site you have to consider they pay a premium to remain on the site. Have them leave and ANN loses thousands in an advertiser that has to be replaced.

What will probably happen is that AC will end up removing the Bandai titles that are bootleg to not violate the contract. If they are forced to do it or do it willing will remain to be seen.
Abel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:25 am Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
but a contract's a contract

It has been over a year since a store I used to work for advertised on ANN. The contract stated that no bootlegs were permited at all. The new contract has clearer text and is different then the one I read over a year ago. What I am pointing out is that it has been well over a year and the payment periods are monthly to yearly as stated on the advertising page of this site. The maximum amount of time one is permited to pay in advance seems to be one year. I suppose it is possible that AC paid for 2 or more years in advance but is it likely that they did? If an advertiser violates the contract they risk forfeit of the contract.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:25 am Reply with quote
The issue of Anime Castle's Hong Kong DVD section was pointed out a long time ago, and I brought it up with Anime Castle when it came time to renew their contract earlier this year.

Anime Castle's has been sponsoring ANN from the very start, they were in fact the first company to sponsor ANN after we started looking for sponsors. So you can understand that, although I refuse new sponsors that carry anything questionable, the idea of dropping AC was very disconcerting to me. Although ANN has a firm policy on the issue, I also have a firm belief that it is improper to abandon people who have been helping you out from the start.

Fortunately, Anime Castle told me that they have no intention to continue their HK DVD section. I was told that they had no plans to purchase more HK DVDs and that as soon as they sold off their existing merchandise they would clsoe the section. Since then I've been carefully watching their HK section and they have not added any new titles.

So yes, I have made an exception for AC, as long as I continue to believe that AC is honest in wanting to shut down that section, I will continue to accept their sponsorship. Should I ever have reason to believe that they lied to me, I will, very regretably, stop running their banners.

-t
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:39 am Reply with quote
One thing I forgot to mention, Anime Castle's original contract never included the text regarding bootlegs, their contract predates it.
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:54 am Reply with quote
I think they should start doing stuff about Ebay. Those are where the bootleggers are doing the most damage.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9