• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Young Black Jack (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:41 pm Reply with quote

Young Black Jack (TV)

Genres: Drama, Shounen
Themes:

Plot Summary: Based on the brilliant maverick doctor created by manga pioneer Osamu Tezuka. This prequel follows Black Jack when he was still a medical student in the 1960s.
----------------------------------

The prequel of Black Jack. This is one of the few medical related series I've heard of.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:43 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Ooh, I enjoyed this more than expected.

So we got the MC who seems to be skilled in the medical field. I wonder if the show will take on an episodic tone each week though with its storytelling. With this pilot episode, it seems to establish the fact that there may be an accident of some sorts each week and Hazama will have to solve the problem.

Haven't seen the original Black Jack before so going into the show fresh. There's less comedy than I had expected but overall an interesting series so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:15 am Reply with quote
Very dramatic start.
Hazama sure is a confident one.
A very talented doctor indeed.
This anime looks promising.
Think I'll be watching it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Why did everyone just stand around and watch the kid get run over? There was a bar in their way, not a fence. Duck under, grab kid, duck back under. He wasn't stuck, just stupid and uncoordinated, he wasn't in a pit like in a subway, there was no reason for these people to just gawk and do nothing. (I'm still trying to visualize how he could possibly lose an arm and leg on opposite sides without any other injuries. It seems like it would require extremely awkward positioning)

And the driver of the bus? He could have bulldozed the car in front of him enough to get the bus off the tracks. I would have been driving over things to move that bus. It wasn't stalled out, just a traffic jam. That was readily escapable.

I hope the rest of the series doesn't rely on such stupid setups.

Is it just me or does YBJ look like Hyde? Smile
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I can"t wait to see this story unfold. I wonder if Pinoko will be in it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I sure hope not. If she's in, I'm out.

I don't know when in his career he came upon her case, but hopefully it was after the scope of this series. Smile
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

One thing about me, I am actually very squeamish about things like people being cut, needles, and other surgery things, I can't even give blood. So it was a bit of a challenge to watch the episode, but the story was nice.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Why did everyone just stand around and watch the kid get run over? There was a bar in their way, not a fence. Duck under, grab kid, duck back under. He wasn't stuck, just stupid and uncoordinated, he wasn't in a pit like in a subway, there was no reason for these people to just gawk and do nothing.

This is what normal people would act in today's society. Everyone is assuming some one is going to help. Nobody wants take the risk themself. There was a murder case in my area, everybody in the apparament heard screaming, but nobody called the police. When the police interview them why they didn't because they thought someone was going to call.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I kind of get that, but in this situation they could see that no one was acting. They could say, "Shouldn't we do something?" In your case, they could rest on their assumption since they couldn't see any of the other people.

I know most people require certain cues to give themselves permission to act, especially in groups (don't want to be the fool who over-reacts!), but a train bearing down on a child on the tracks three feet away from you seems like cue enough. It's clearly an emergency.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Though this is 21st century animation I like that they are keeping with Tezuka-esque designs of the characters, it really reflects that this series really is Tezuka's. Black Jack doing what he does is nothing short of a miracle, and this perspective will be interesting to see down the road.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:54 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Ok, Black Jack has always been a bit over the top, but generally grounded in some semblance of reality, but this was just silly. Wouldn't the cultists notice the leftover body didn't have a face? Even if he just did reconstructive surgery on the young guy and not a face transplant, wouldn't they wonder why their leader had bandages on his face? Cause that doesn't just heal up instantly, even if you're Black Jack's patient.

Or did he have access to Mission Impossible-style silicone and wigs and makeup to make a mask? This was seriously terrible.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:56 am Reply with quote
Damn... not good at all.
Poor Hazama got himself in a pretty serious mess.
Those sect people were even worse than the criminals..
That was one unusual outcome.
Still, all is well that ends well.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:27 am Reply with quote
Episode 3:

A surprisingly amount of realism in this series. I liked the episode as it focused on Hazama's personal and professional struggle (something connected to his past most likely).

The episodic nature of the show may have a linear connection that reflects his character.
I really thought that woman with the gun played an antagonist role though with the way she was intimidating Hazama. Still, a thrilling episode with that operation.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:07 am Reply with quote
Best opening theme and series this season
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:46 am Reply with quote
New challenge for our medical student!
Hazama got really pissed off this time.
So much selfishness in this episode.
People's true nature was clearly shown..
Great episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2