• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Blue Dragon Dub.DVD 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:31 am Reply with quote
I think the "kids play with their own poop" bit in the review pretty well summarizes what anybody watching this is attempting to do.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:22 am Reply with quote
Fortunately, I haven't bothered to watch this show at all on television, let alone rent it on DVD. I'm already too old for this crap and I've had it up to here with Toriyama's juvenile humor being toned down again for the umpteenth time. Sorry people, but there is more to Toriyama than his character designs. The "character design" tagline on the cover of this volume doesn't save this show nor the fact that it is based on an XBOX 360 RPG.

Oh, and one more thing, replacing Nobuo Uematsu's epic score with generic background noise that dares to call itself music is sacrilege, period. Even Nintendo of America, with all of its silly censorship practices and series number errors with its Final Fantasy games back in the 90's never tampered with Uematsu's score.

I'm sure the original Japanese version of this anime is more palatable than Viz's version but until we get that version, it's best to steer clear.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:56 am Reply with quote
Well put Kaba.I agree.

Give us the real thing,or nothing at all,Viz.

Seriously,who do they think we are,and in this day and age?

Who settles for less?
Taiyz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:28 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Seriously,who do they think we are,and in this day and age?

Who settles for less?
Children? Maybe? I'm not sure what more you're expecting...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nebs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:20 am Reply with quote
With Viz dead set on marketing this series to seemingly really young kids, a lot of edits had to take place in Blue Dragon. A sample of some of the stuff Viz took out/changed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLNN_Jprkbs&fmt=18
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Son-kun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:05 am Reply with quote
Hopefully, Viz will get around to releasing a Uncut Box Set or something. I can understand the move to directing it towards kids, but there's equally a Toriyama fanbase out there that may want to check this out. I've seen some of the original Japanese and its decent typical Shonen fare if anything (Those first 5 episodes were pretty horrible though).

Quote:
Oh, and one more thing, replacing Nobuo Uematsu's epic score with generic background noise that dares to call itself music is sacrilege, period. Even Nintendo of America, with all of its silly censorship practices and series number errors with its Final Fantasy games back in the 90's never tampered with Uematsu's score.

Agreed. That's one of the reasons I didn't even glance at the TV broadcast version. It's like DBZ/GT all over again, but even worse. How the hell is it that a company like Viz stoop down to 4Kids level or FUNimation 12 years ago. I can understand the edits, but was there really any reason to change the music at all?
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:30 pm Reply with quote
And they said your Death Note reviews were caustic, Carl. If you had written those with the same cutting wit and humor you invested in this one the forums no one would've heard the end of that discussion.

I wasn't going to see this and didn't need anyone's review to confirm my suspicions about it anyway.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I always have a rule: No Japanese version equals no buy for me. Just by reading the review this looks like something to avoid. Not even character designs by Toriyama-sama can save this stinker.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm not going to say I hate the dub, but I won't say I like it either. The editing is seriously too juvenile, but what choice do we have? Unless we control Viz directly, I guess complaining is all we can muster.

I honestly want to finish this series and watch the second season.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Taiyz wrote:
Children? Maybe? I'm not sure what more you're expecting...

See...we haven't seen evidence that this show is taking off for younger kids. I see a lot of kids ga ga over Yu-Gi-Oh! and Pokemon but Blue Dragon? Nothing.

If the show was a blockbuster hit, then there really is nothing we can say to Viz. However, that doesn't seem to be the case here. If anything, I'm seeing more evidence that the Toriyama fanbase is taking an interest in the show than the young demographic that Viz is aiming for.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Yeah having a Prime time broadcast in Canada, and an online only broadcast in the US, I wouldn't think the show is reaching its' audience.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Well it is in Austraila at least.

Also I like the series.It's similar to the 4kids versions of one piece and pokemon which i still like to this day.It's Good for young audiences,but not for the hardcore which is fine with me and i'm very interested in story lines so far, though i'm afraid it may get edited heavily later on.And it's ashame it don't have the original japaneese OP and ED versions and it isn't uncut which is a letdown,but at least the dub version is a lot better than the 4kids versions of Shaman King which was horrid.It's a decent kids series, However it could've been better.

However,If Funi had the license instead of Viz and used the same people for the english versions of DBZ,it may have been successful in the US.In fact I think any of Akira's animations like this one and others (Dragon Quest,Cronoo Trigger) should be licensed by Funi since they did so well with Dragon Ball and DBZ and GT. Don't you think???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1