• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Appleseed Website

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
byrnedhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:15 am Reply with quote
hmph, it'd be sort of nice if they told us what theaters it'll be playing in. I think I read somewhere that it'll be showing in San Francisco, but that's a pretty big place. (I'm in the bay area.)
Danno19

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:20 am Reply with quote
Why dont they just release it in 2100 theaters...

Godzilla 2000 cost 500,000 dollars to bring out in the US, and Sony made back 11 milliion bucks...

I personally dont see why they wouldnt release a 3D animated movie into that many theaters, considering thats the only animation the majority of US non-anime fans like...
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Danno19 wrote:
Why don't they just release it in 2100 theaters...

Because the marketing and the cost of the prints would be in the tens of millions, a lot more than they'd likely make back.

Quote:
Godzilla 2000 cost 500,000 dollars to bring out in the US, and Sony made back 11 milliion bucks...

You obviously have an incorrect source there; Box Office Mojo gives an N/A for the marketing budget of Godzilla 2000 but the cost of making 2111 prints alone would be way over $500 000.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DeaD_PooL

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:32 pm Reply with quote
needless to say.. it'd be nice if this movie would make a normal theater run.

but no.. that slot is reserved for pokemon 15
Toboe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:46 pm Reply with quote
DeaD_PooL wrote:
needless to say.. it'd be nice if this movie would make a normal theater run.

but no.. that slot is reserved for pokemon 15

Pokemon movies are straight to video now, genius. Try again.
AnimEdge

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Eh for some reason the trailer reminds me of the year 1997, i dont know why but it does, it still looks to fake i think, i think SD gundam show had more inpressive CGI animation than that, it at lest liiked more cell like than that does, but if it comes to Dallas ill go see it, maybe Razz

Oh and i think he was being sarcastic with the pokemon 15 stuff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
cyrax777

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:10 pm Reply with quote
A friend of mine just brought over his r2 and all I got to saw is WOW this film is simply mind blowingly beautiful. I hope it does get a decent theatrical run it deserves it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Danno19

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:11 pm Reply with quote
My apology to tenchi, your right it was over 500,000, it was a million and $10,000,000 earned. (godzilla 2000 that is)

http://www.tohokingdom.com/web_pages/box_office/g2k_bo.htm

US only keep in mind.

Mojo has a few things missing. Sad
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Danno19 wrote:
My apology to tenchi, your right it was over 500,000, it was a million and $10,000,000 earned. (godzilla 2000 that is)

Nah, I think that's just the budget for the translation/dubbing.

For the cost of the prints alone, the figure would be somewhere in the range of $5-10 million, and advertising ain't cheap either, even for a film that received a minimal level of publicity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Danno19

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I'll never see an anime on the big screen. Sad

I asked in my Monster Zero forums the exact figure, I hope they didn't spend too much. Surprised I want some hope to see an anime in NH one of these days.

But seriously there is some Japanese Animation productions that need to get a bigger release. One of these companies has to try one of these days, maybe not Geneon cause they are kind of small, but Sony has Steamboy in their possession, they could definately give it a shot.

US needs to grow some balls man. Very Happy If it dont work, dont do it.

*edit* However there was that time that multi-million dollar + Final Fantasy movie flopped and made back a tiny bit of money. Shocked
Tuna

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:36 pm Reply with quote
The character design and CG looks horrible. I felt like I was watching an episode of Reboot. I'm a big fan of the manga and was looking forward to this release. Hope it's only the trailer that makes it looks so ugly.

TunaRoll
Gamelore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:04 pm Reply with quote
There is a positive side effect to less-than-wide releases in the US. If it gets to the point where they start advertising these on TV, say, then they'll likely make back quite a bit of money. Once the US is a viable market, just like many US movies, the original productions will begin to cater to the US masses, in order to make substantially more money; and that means lowest common denomintor...
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I'll admit that this movie does look like it might be worth it's weight (it looks like they are following the manga story very well the movie alone covers Volume 1 of the oringal Appleseed manga) but my only complaint was the look of Deunan she dosen't look at all like I remember her from the oringal Anime OVA or Movie form the 80s.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Gamelore wrote:
Once the US is a viable market, just like many US movies, the original productions will begin to cater to the US masses, in order to make substantially more money; and that means lowest common denomintor...

It's a viable market now, just viable on DVD, where the overhead is much lower than for a theatrical wide release.

I frankly doubt we will ever reach a point where Japanese productions are any threat to Pixar, Dreamworks, and Nickelodeon, so I don't think you have to worry about anime films that pander too much to American tastes, if you think that's something to worry about. (I'm staying neutral on that one.)
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Anime News Service just updated with links to legal clips and a mention that it's been rated R for "some violence".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1