• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jademan comics-- Blood Sword Dynasty

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Well, I was unsure where to put this, but I figured if anyone would know about this title, it would be people on this forum. My apologies that it is slightly off topic.

Back in the 90's, Jademan comics came over to the U.S. from Hong Kong, and put out a number of titles, one of which was 'Blood Sword Dynasty.' I have been wanting to get issues of this title for years and years. I thought I'd ask here, since it's from Asia/ Hong Kong. I know, it's not manga outright, but I thought, again, that someone might be able to help with some sort of leads/info. I've looked on ebay, but they have very few of the issues up.

thanks.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Around the same time manga started to get introduced into the US market, there was a similar effort for Hong Kong comics. Unlike manga, HK comics never stuck and the company that was putting them out stopped in the early 90's. I've never heard of this one, and I'm sure it will be very difficult to find. There has been a resurgance of HK comics in recent years, but nothing from Jademan, so reprinting is unlikely.
mahoro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:13 am Reply with quote
Back in the 70s to the mid 90s Jademan comics was the KING of HK comics industry. They later expanded into the USA with their flagship titles in the late 80s, i.e. Oriental Heroes (incorrectly translated should be Gate of the Dragon and Tiger), Drunken Fist, Force of Budda's Palm, Blood Sword (incorrectly translated should be Oriental Hero), and later Blood Sword Dynasty and a few other titles.

As great as some of the those titles were, there was numerous problems that led to the eventual downfall of Jademan in the USA. Part of the problem with Jademan was the numerous translation, grammatical, and bubble errors. The plus side was the price for the amount of pages, close to 60 pages in color for $1.95 + tax. Basically Jademan combined two issues into one and printed it all on newsprint. However even though the grammatical errors, bubble errors went down, the readership did not really increase. Also when they added new titles like Iron Marshall and Blood Sword Dynasty they increased the price for one issue with 30 pages to $1.25. As such, the page count went down on some issues and the prices went up. Not everyone liked these changes.

Eventually, most titles were drawn to a close most stopped at 41 give or take. The problem was many of the storylines were highly detailed and left unresolved. The editors of Blood Sword particularly had to edit out many pages from the previous issues about Invincible. For Force of Buddhas Palm left unresolved storylines about Devilto and Mo Yung. For Gate of the Dragon and Tiger, Black Dragon heals Tiger's damaged eyes and the introduction of Invincible (not the same as the one from Blood Sword).

As you can tell there were many unresolved issues and storyarcs when they concluded the titles. Officially the Jademan titles were concluded around 1991 or 92, because the company lost the rights to the titles after the chairman Tony Wong went to jail. When he came out he launched a new company called Jade Dynasty and attempted to release various titles that did moderately well to piss poor. Hope this helps. Wink
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:17 pm Reply with quote
So, regarding 'Blood Sword Dynasty'-- I searched around, and it too seemed to finish at #41. You mentioned specifics about the other Jademan comics, but not this one. This is the one I am most interested in. Does it have a functional ending, or is it too sort of simply chopped-off right in the middle of things? I was thinking of attempting to buy/ find some of the issues, but I thought I'd get a sense of whether the plot ever really led to anything before the company went under. No ending to a title is sort of a drag... and really pulls the narrative drive out of a comic. Wink
Pa-Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:05 am Reply with quote
Ebay, Comic Conventions and Comic Sellers onlines are your best bet to completing your collection.

I didn't start collecting them till the titles were well into the storylines but i've managed to amass quite a collection although it is not complete.

If you like Blood Sword you might also like the Blood Sword Chinese TV Series by ATV and the movie A Man Called Hero.

Mahoro: So who owns the copyright to the old Jademan titles now? I notice they continued in Hong Kong for many years as my chinese friends used to read them, not sure about now though. I really loved Blood Sword, Oriental Heroes and Buddah's Palm.

RE: the errors etc, Comicsone's chinese mangas have plenty of errors too. Even worse is their inconsistent pinyin and name translations - sometimes they leave out the surname and sometimes the pinyin is so strange i cannot figure out who the heck it is. -.-;;

Do you think there is any chance of Comicsone picking up the previous stuff again? I noticed there was some new Tony Wong titles out a while back including Mega Tiger or whatever. It was basically Oriental Heroes set in the future and was it sucked sooooo bad.
mahoro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Jademan stopped publishing all of their titles for the USA market. All of them were stopped and the storylines were forced to a stop, naturally this included BSD. The Jademan company no longer exists after Tony Wong lost the majority shareholder to the company he founded. He went to jail for some years and returned to form Jade Dynasty. Some of his old coworkers joined him like James Khoo, famed artist of Iron Marshall to USA readers. The comics naturally continued for MANY years after Wong lost the rights, case in point Lung Fu Moon aka incorrectly translated Oriental Heroes ended in the 1000+ and only within the past four years got revamped under a new company.

Sure the C1 titles are filled with errors, but considerably less than the Jademan ones. However I’d accept the errors for Jademan titles because of the cost, 1.95 for near 60 PAGES on newsprint! Who the hell needs gloss BS prints or funky covers driving up the cost of ONE BLOODY ISSUE TO $5?! Morons.

IMO there is no chance C1 will get their act together and get off of their lazy duffs and SERIOUSLY consider releasing the original LFM when Jademan left off. Many fans have requested that they do it, but nothing happens and this as over two years ago! I have the issues that followed in Chinese, so I am not worried, but if the price was right I would collect the English ones too. C1 has a forum and I posted there under dangaio_project, but C1 NEVER replies to the fans questions/comments. Thus, the board is largely a ghostboard. No one really wants to go there because the info is stale and C1 rarely replies and ignores the fans REPEATED questions about LFM. MANY people want the ORIGINAL series (instead of the revamped series) to be translated and PICK UP exactly where it was left off in the USA versions back from 1993. I.e. Stone Black Dragon incorrectly translated to Gold Dragon returning with Chime and healing Tiger’s eyes. The introduction of Invincible who will dominate and rock the LFM universe for years to come and Chan’s ambush by Chap, etc. Each of the remaining titles has tons of storyline gaps left unresolved and that is irritating, even w/a complete collection such as mine.

I go extras, pm if you got questions. Anyways, I would agree about that MegaDragon & Tiger series, I thought it was a cheap LFM knock off. We debated this over at the C1 forum, but the thread got boring so it died. Feel free to pm me and we can chat more!
SamuraiGang

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:24 am Reply with quote
I know this is a long shot but a couple people were talking about Jademan Comics on here back in 2004. I am in America and I collect Jademan Comics! I love them! I used to see them when I was a kid but couldn't afford them haha. Anyway I traveled to Hong Kong a few years back and I picked up a couple comics at a book store there. Now that I'm comparing it to my Jademan Comics I realized that it is indeed Oriental Heroes (I guess Gate of The Dragon and Tiger). That's when I realized that All of those were comics from Hong Kong that they continued over here. Then they stopped making them over here but continued making them over in Hong Kong. I would love to get my hands on some of the Hong Kong ones in Chinese. Does anyone know where I can get those? I know there were a few people on here from Hong Kong looking for the American ones. Check out Mycomicshop.com they have a bunch also grahamcrackers.com have a bunch. I hope this info helps someone and if anyone knows where I can buy Chinese Jademan comics please share. Thanks
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1