Knights of Sidonia on Netflix in Summer 2014
posted on by Andrew Osmond
Netflix UK and Ireland tweeted the following:
"Gauna beware! Mecha sci-fi anime show Knights of Sidonia to hit Netflix immediately after Japanese TV. Summer 2014."
The series is due to air in Japan in Spring 2014, based on a manga by Tsutomu Nihei. The manga's story takes place after humans flee Earth, which had suffered a devastating invasion of alien creatures called Gauna. Humans travel through space in giant ships, while the Gauna continue to pursue them. As a new human culture develops, people fight the Gauna with Morito (Guardian) robotic mecha. A young man named Nagate Tanikaze trains as a Morito pilot aboard the spaceship Sidonia and defends its people from Gauna attacks.
The main creative credits are
- Original: Tsutomu Nihei (Kodansha's Monthly Afternoon)
- Director: Kobun Shizuno (G.I. Joe: Sigma 6, Detective Conan movie)
- Co-Director: Hiroyuki Seshita (Street Fighter x Tekken, Final Fantasy)
- Series Script Supervisor, Script: Sadayuki Murai (Steam Boy, Millennium Actress)
- Production Designer: Naoya Tanaka (Princess Mononoke, Tron: Rising)
- Art Director: Mitsunori Kataama (Howl's Moving Castle, Tron: Rising)
- CG Supervisor: Masayuki Uemoto (Transformers: Prime, CASSHERN)
- Battle Animatiques: Eiji Ohkushi (The Sky Crawlers, Oblivion Island: Haruka and the Magic Mirror)
- Character Design: Yuki Moriyama (Street Fighter x Tekken, Dino Dominion)
- Animation Production: Polygon Pictures Inc. (Transformers: Prime, Tron: Rising, Star Wars: The Clone Wars)
- Production: KOS Product Committee
The anime marks the 30th anniversary of Polygon Pictures, a studio that has earned Daytime Emmy Awards (Transformers Prime, Star Wars: The Clone Wars) and an Annie Award (Tron: Uprising).
Nihei launched the manga in Kodansha's Monthly Afternoon magazine in 2009, and Kodansha published the 11th volume in Japan in October. Vertical is releasing the manga series in North America, and the company will publish the fifth volume in December.
Images © Tsutomu Nihei, Kodansha/KOS Production Committee