• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Live-Action Higanjima, Drop, Tajomaru

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quark

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:27 pm Reply with quote
It's really cool that Funi is releasing so many Japanese and Korean live action titles lately. Haganjima sounds like it would be interesting. Japanese horror is great.
Now, if only they'd start picking up Japanese dramas...
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
It's really cool that Funi is releasing so many Japanese and Korean live action titles lately.
I'll second this but I wish they'd pick up more titles outside the horror/crime/samurai/low-budget exploitation genres. Like I'd love to own Ahiru to Kamo no Coin Locker, Survive Style 5+, and Fantastipo, to name a few. Still pretty strange movies (especially the latter two) but in a more interesting way imo. I'm also hoping they (or someone, anyone) will license the Korean Antique Bakery film. Though I suppose such films wouldn't be as cheap to license and may not fit their main buying demographic. Either way I wish them well because maybe they'll be willing to venture into different fare if they succeed.

Quote:
Second this as well, but (as with Fantastipo mentioned above) with a lot of dramas you run into JE performers and I've heard that's a major roadblock to licensing*. So I've mostly given up hope.

*Something like: JE would want an unreasonable amount of money for the licenses and while the guys are stars in Japan they're pretty much unknowns here so US sales wouldn't support the licensing fees. Not to mention JE's style of tight media control would probably strangle any US company's attempt to market the shows. Even Japanese sites often have to omit/blur/otherwise-alter pictures of Johnnys in their official press releases for shows-- for example, see Kame in 1 2 3 4. I can't fathom why but there you have it. Just imagine trying to get permission to use their pics for promo materials here in the US.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:01 am Reply with quote
When I saw the word Drop, I thought they meant the Bunny Drop live action film. But then I remembered they hadn't even started filming yet. Happens.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:53 am Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
I wish they'd pick up more titles outside the horror/crime/samurai/low-budget exploitation genres.[/size]

NODAME CANTABILE!!!

That is all.
EricDent

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:18 pm Reply with quote
It would be kind of nice if FUNImation somehow got the rights to the live action version of Negima, and had the same actors for the dub version.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:36 pm Reply with quote
It's cool that Funimation is bringing more live-action films (especially ones which look so interesting).
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:06 am Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
It's really cool that Funi is releasing so many Japanese and Korean live action titles lately. Haganjima sounds like it would be interesting. Japanese horror is great.

I would also love to see that. You know beside Japanese drama, I would love Funimation more if they can pick up Korean, Taiwanese, and HK drama.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
E-Master

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:28 am Reply with quote
If they're foreign films I'll buy them. I'm like this close from owning all of the recent live-action films from Funimation.

I'll definitely buy them when they come out.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:34 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
poonk wrote:
I wish they'd pick up more titles outside the horror/crime/samurai/low-budget exploitation genres.[/size]

NODAME CANTABILE!!!

That is all.

My vote is for Coffee Prince.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1