• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Shadow of a Ninja

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Yes, Yu-Gi-Oh! still exists, and it's still popular enough to land games. Your favorite anime series may be largely forgotten and never earned so much as a fan-made puzzle game, but Yu-Gi-Oh! endures in all its maddening inequities.

A little bitter, are we? I can understand, though, after having to go through two seemingly-medicore Naruto games. It's easy to make fun of Yu-Gi-Oh!, but the card game itself is a fun game to play, and the video games are a nice replacement from buying the actual cards. The actual shows and mangas are really good too. And yes, I mean legitimately good.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:04 am Reply with quote
The Asterix shout-out made my day. Anime smile
sepherest

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:17 am Reply with quote
So many J-RPGs with "Last" in their title lately, geez...
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:16 am Reply with quote
Ah Dragonball GT Final Bout. How I wish I bought you when my local video store went out of business. Or how I should have just stole you on a random rental. *sigh*

With all things said and done, I applaud Yugioh. Decent to fun game for the most part, but what impresses me still is the idea they went with to stick with the card game theme. "Let's make it about card game battles!" "Wait... seriously? A story about kids fighting evil... with a card game...? Mehyeah I guess..." And then HGIHYGBFKMWTF?! (spoiler[Holy God In Heaven You Gotta Be [expletive] Kidding Me What The fudge?!]) It was surprisingly entertaining and will probably never die now.
zetsuie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:56 am Reply with quote
I like dragonball gt back in 2001 although i had the import version so maybe that was better. All I know was it was awesome to be 11 and walk out of a store with the price of the game in yen.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:06 am Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
With all things said and done, I applaud Yugioh. Decent to fun game for the most part, but what impresses me still is the idea they went with to stick with the card game theme. "Let's make it about card game battles!" "Wait... seriously? A story about kids fighting evil... with a card game...? Mehyeah I guess..." And then HGIHYGBFKMWTF?! (spoiler[Holy God In Heaven You Gotta Be [expletive] Kidding Me What The fudge?!]) It was surprisingly entertaining and will probably never die now.

Well, to be fair, Kazuki Takahashi never really put the whole "Saving the World" message to the forefront, as the manga and original Japanese version of the anime was more about discovering who the Pharaoh/Yami Yugi really was and the stories revolved around that and the mystery of the Millenium Items. It was 4Kids that changed it into being about saving the world. The original title is actually fairly character-based and not just all about the card game, unlike how 4Kids treated it.

And the Yu-Gi-Oh! GX anime apparently poked fun of that idea 4Kids had and ran with it by doing the deconstruction of Duel Monsters and showing how ridiculous it really was to save the world by playing a card game. And now 5D's takes the saving the world idea and gives it the kind of impossibly epic feel that only Japan can seem to do, and you could argue that it's the best of the YGO animes because of that. 5D's is just having fun with the idea now, and that's why it's so fun to watch.

But the card game was and still is certainly fun.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:20 am Reply with quote
I enjoy 5D's for the fact that it's art quality is very consistent and reminiscent of the original Yugioh series during it's peak. GX art quality dropped to the bottom of the barrel with very static animation after its first season. 5D's was a nice return to better storyboarding and art direction even if it doesn't have the same budget as a well animated Yugioh episode in the original series. 5D does a much better job with working with what they have. Even if the motorcycle stuff is equally as rediculous as the Duel School serving as a epicenter of otherworld craziness.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Imageepoch's second self-published game in the works is Chevalier Saga Tactics, a strategy-RPG for the PLAYSTATION Network and web browsers. Chevalier Saga Tactics has three kingdoms tearing an island apart over a dragon's hidden treasure, with Prince Leurs, the only survivor of a murdered royal family, striving to reclaim his throne. Clearly from the grid-based vein of Tactics Ogre and Luminous Arc, the game has numerous character classes to explore, and there's a mode for massive-scale battles (think Suikoden) in addition to the smaller, up-close skirmishes.

From what I've read, only the browser game is called "Chevalier Saga Tactics". The PSN game is titled just "Chevalier Tactics" and has a different story and setting.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:50 am Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to P2: Innocent Sin. But I'm curious to what P2: Eternal Punishment will bring. Mainly because I still own the PS1 version. Good stuff coming. But no dungeon crawlers for me. Especially the generating kind.
robo-ky

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:59 am Reply with quote
argh gt final bout, i'm definitely one of those people who paid too much for it (can't remember exactly but paid round 50 bucks) at least I learned from my mistakes and now can wait until raging blast 2 is in the discount bin
personman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:58 pm Reply with quote
NIS also announced yesterday they will be working with Imageepoch and plan to release titles in US and Europe. That means the Black Rock Shooter game has a very good chance of being released in the US now with NIS having a hand somewhere in it.

http://nisamerica.com/images/email/ImageEpoch_20101130_PB.pdf - Press release
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Wow... I didn't even know there was a Shining Wind game, let alone Shining Hearts. I had Shining Tears at one point and knew of the Shining Tears X Wind anime, but didn't realize it was a crossover of two games.
Sometimes I hate the fact that my favorite JRPG franchises seem to be the ones that do the worst over here. Between Shining and Tales of games, there are almost as many games released each year in Japan that I want to buy as there are released in the US. Though, Hearts having a Harvest Moon feel to it is a definite turnoff on its face, but I could probably ignore that for the sake of Tony Taka. Love his artwork.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Psst, Persona 2 was a PlayStation 1 game, not PlayStation 2.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:37 pm Reply with quote
So are you supposed to pronounce Imageepoch like Image Epoch, or ... something else? I can't even comprehend how I would try to type what is in my head phonetically in English (why can't we have our letters make the same sound every time?), so I'm reading it in my head as if it were a Spanish word.
Letthemeatraep

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:23 pm Reply with quote
A lot of solid, if unadventurous, offerings on the way for the PSP from the looks of it. Guess it's time to place bets on which ones we're likely to get over here.

Also, if you insist on covering non-anime/Japanese games in the shout out at the bottom, how can you ignore big titles like Gran Turismo 5 and Dead Nation? If you're going to be half hearted about it dude, may as well just not bother.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2