• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Yu-Gi-Oh! Series to Be Announced in February

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barrelroller

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:42 am Reply with quote
And 4kids rejoices!

I think I'm going to be an old man by the time Funimation or whoever else can get the license for Yu-Gi-Oh! I no longer care about a proper dub, I just want to a legit sub of "Season Zero" and the entire original Yu-Gi-Oh! series.

The spinoff series look like a joke, I thought GX looked meh, but it seemed 5DS put it down even lower (and my expectations for this series obviously aren't high either). I haven't exactly kept up with the YGO universe lately, but are GX & 5DS based off a manga, or are they anime only?
taster of pork

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:01 am Reply with quote
I just want an uncensored first and second season. Is that too much to ask?

Last edited by taster of pork on Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mysticmidnightmaiden

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:17 am Reply with quote
barrelroller wrote:

The spinoff series look like a joke, I thought GX looked meh, but it seemed 5DS put it down even lower (and my expectations for this series obviously aren't high either). I haven't exactly kept up with the YGO universe lately, but are GX & 5DS based off a manga, or are they anime only?

Both GX and 5D's are anime-first productions. The manga for each came out after/while the anime aired. Not sure if you've actually seen either series, but both have their high points, once you get out the "CARD GAMES IN/ON ____" mindset.
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:38 am Reply with quote
Maybe 4 Kids will simulcast this one. They already have Toonzaki(uncut anime site) up, so it could be a good way to bring in anime fans and possibly test the marketablity of an uncut release.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:45 am Reply with quote
all I gotta say about this is that the japanese production team shouldn't even bother giving this one any balls whatsoever or any kind of serious storyline, character back story since 4kids will just butcher, hack, mangle, mame, and disfigure it anyway just like every other anime they've touched.

just want to say sorry if my post annoys anyone I rarely post since whenever I do I'm almost always half awake and not thinking straight due to lack of sleep and insomnia. just dropping my two cents

Last edited by MagusGuardian on Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total
ryusaki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:28 am Reply with quote
Kazuki Takahashi... you frickin sell out.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:42 am Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:
just want to say sorry if my post annoys anyone I rarely post since whenever I do I'm almost always half awake and not thinking straight due to lack of sleep and insomnia

It did sort of annoy me but since you put it that way, let me try to give you a bit of advice. Next time you feel like you're not going to get enough sleep, try to be mindful of that and ask yourself "why aren't you getting sleep like you would want to?" Think of all the reasons and possibilities that could be causing insomia for you. Maybe something out of your childhood or maybe other people without realizing it, influenced you to stay up to the extent where it became a habit. Also observe what happens, when it happens, where it happens, how it happens, and what is preventing you from sleeping once you start feeling you're not sleep like you would want to. I hope that proves helpful.

Oh and on a separate note, if you never were 12 years old or younger when you watched anything from 4Kids, that means you were never in their intended audience according to your age and unless 4Kids feels like creating a different division entirely for people above the age of 12, namely anime fans, you never will be in their intended audience. With all of that being said, personally if 4Kids can acquire the license to this new show (seriously, how much more silly can the show get after playing cards on motorcycles and having a school about playing cards), then more power to them. Considering how 4Kids keeps earning less money lately, Yu-gi-oh seems to be their main cash cow nowadays, if not their only one.
Dagon123

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:10 am Reply with quote
Wow all this hate, and yet I don't see anybody complaining about Pokemon and its 10 billion series, or the fact they brought back Digimon from the grave. You act like Yu-gi-oh is the one that broke the camels back, give me a break here
Flame-G102

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:46 am Reply with quote
Whatever hapened to Takahashi not wanting to make another series and only doing 5D's because the anime producers were "good drinking buddies"?

They must be some gooood drinking buddies then...
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:10 am Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:
all I gotta say about this is that the japanese production team shouldn't even bother giving this one any balls whatsoever or any kind of serious storyline, character back story since 4kids will just butcher, hack, mangle, mame, and disfigure it anyway just like every other anime they've touched.

just want to say sorry if my post annoys anyone I rarely post since whenever I do I'm almost always half awake and not thinking straight due to lack of sleep and insomnia. just dropping my two cents

Umm...not so much anymore. If you've wathed the newer episodes of 5d's on Toonzai, 4 Kids has been doing a much better job of staying faithful to the script, and they've been less stupid about editing(heck they've pretty much left an arc filled with guns almost completely untouched). The voice direction has gotten better too since there's some noticeable improvement in the acting.

If 4 Kids keeps doing what their doing for 5d's right now, then it should be fine.
RazzBerrieCharm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:45 am Reply with quote
Flame-G102 wrote:
Whatever happened to Takahashi not wanting to make another series

That's what I thought too....

Too be honest, I don't even know how the anime producers are going to pull this series off...To me, there is no point in continuing the series much further...
Jaymie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:29 pm Reply with quote
What will they think of next, card games on motorcycles in space?

Please, do Yu-Gi-Oh R. That manga really needs an adaption. And it has the original characters, so... yeah.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:26 pm Reply with quote
i don't know i thought there wasn't going back from establishing the distopian future setting. So what themes haven't they used to cards yet because i dout they are going to do a remake.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
Please, do Yu-Gi-Oh R. That manga really needs an adaption. And it has the original characters, so... yeah.

Yeah, before I read the manga I thought that too. Afterwards, I think we should all just forget about R. It's for the best.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:38 pm Reply with quote
taster of pork wrote:
I just want an uncensored first season. Is that too much to ask?

You and me both.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3