• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Ghost Glories

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:49 am Reply with quote
Damn I can't wait to see how Capcom handles Taskmaster. He's one of my favorite Marvel villains.

Last edited by v1cious on Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:37 am; edited 2 times in total
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:51 am Reply with quote
Now if my DS worked properly. Damn shoulder buttons keep failing.
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:18 am Reply with quote
Oooh, I may give Ghost Trick a try. Don't know if it's available in Australia though...will have to look that up.
ninjaclown

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
(something Ghost Trick unfortunately shares with Ace Attorney, along with a just-adequate translation)

The translation is MUCH more than just adequate, it does it spectacularly and where ever direct translation of language nuances such as jokes wouldn't fit, they come up with clever ones of their own. Just felt like putting that out there.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:09 am Reply with quote
I'm really looking forward to the 3DS, and I've got my pre-order in already, but honestly that launch lineup is pretty disappointing. The only game that really grabs me is Professor Layton and I doubt that will be available for the European launch. I had been assuming that at least one of the big first-party heavy hitters (Zelda, Mario Kart, Star Fox or Kid Icarus) would be a launch title.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:28 am Reply with quote
I just tweeted a request to NOA to get 3DS remakes of the Earthbound games, so I can actually have a reason to consider the system. Rolling Eyes
Freakmasta

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:42 am Reply with quote
I just want Lei-Lei/Hsien-Ko to be confirmed for MvC3 and I'll be VERY happy with the game. Right now, I'm just meh happy.
kgw

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:59 am Reply with quote
I do remember Phoenix, and well, she's (was) one of the most powerful characters of X-Men (the comic, not the bland toon), the first one to "give to the dark side", and killing millions -a whole planet- by "eating" their star.

I think is a nod to old-time fans. And at least she do fights, not cry "objection!". :p
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:31 am Reply with quote
I'll be getting a 3DS ASAP, though admittedly the launch lineup isn't as strong as I'd hoped (still better than most systems this gen though)
poisondusk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:52 am Reply with quote
The move to region-locking on Nintendo's handhelds is really frustrating for me. I can understand English and Japanese, and some games (like Pokémon) I just like to get as soon as possible so I grab the Japanese release, while others I like the English localisation (like the Ace Attorney series, which I found to be more than adequate) and so I wait for the European or US release, and of course some games only ever come out in one territory. I can't imagine there's enough J/E bilingual gamers around to be hurting sales that much, and there's a lot less of a gap between American and European release dates than there used to be. It's not as if consoles are always region-locked either (the PS3 is locked for Blu-ray movies etc. but not for actual games, and it's not hard to set up multiple accounts to access stores for different regions).

The launch lineup for the 3DS doesn't really inspire me, but at least it gives me more time to work out which region I'll be buying it from, since the games I'm interested in won't be out right away.

On a more positive note, I'm definitely going to pick up Ghost Trick, and even looking forward to the translation (I think the flexible approach that just replaces jokes that don't carry across culturally or linguistically really works for comedy-heavy stuff like this).
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:52 am Reply with quote
So Yoko became a Ghost Detective after her life as a teacher in TTGL. Interesting...
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:34 am Reply with quote
The Article wrote:
Sackboy, the smiling rag-doll star of Little Big Planet, didn't really catch on as Sony's new mascot.

Yeah, I think that job went to Kevin Butler, on top of his many other titles. xD
sepherest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:42 am Reply with quote
I'll admit I'm not really a fan of Phoenix/Jean Grey either, but she's been a central part of a decent number of plot lines in the X-Men comic over the years, and the likes of The Dark Phoenix Saga were a big deal when it came out. But I would've wanted someone like Gambit or Scarlet Witch instead, they're more fan-friendly.

I would definitely not be surprised if the rumor about Phoenix Wright and Miles Edgeworth appearing at the end of She Hulk's story turn out to be true, it sounds like something with the humor that would be up both series' alleys.

And so far the lineup for the 3DS is a bit bumming. I was a little annoyed when I found out that Atlus' 3DS Devil Survivor title is actually just going to be an updated re-release of the DS version, but with an extra day, voice acting...and that's about it. The graphics aren't really even going to be changed aside making the battle look like they're popping off the screen or something.
davecabrera
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Phoenix's cool gimmick is that if she dies with full super meter she resurrects (like Gill in SF3) as Dark Phoenix. Most of the characters have come off as pretty interesting and distinct, which is the bottom line in a game like this. I do think that Capcom focusing on their recent characters illustrates how boring videogame character design has been in the last decade or so, though.

http://www.imnextonline.com/2010/12/14/huge-mvc3-leak-info/
This gets into the realm of rumors, but frankly there were similar leaks for SSF4 that turned out to be 100% true. Capcom has a lot of people (including a lot of fans) in contact with these games and leaks happen fast. This later series of oddly specific Twitter leaks pretty much nails down the rest of the roster (though there's barely anything left to reveal).
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:57 pm Reply with quote
davecabrera wrote:

They removed Frank West?! Man, fudge that game!

I'm sorely disappointed if 3DS turns out to be region locked, because you can bet your ass that Europe will get the short end of the stick once again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2