• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A Few Minutes with Kenichi Matsuyama

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I'd take him over Keanu Reeves for Spike.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Shit. I got FUNi's Classic Line release of Gantz the other day, and I wanted to double up on the series by going to see the movie tonight as well, but no such luck. Sad Nice interview anyway.

Kirkdawg wrote:
This.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I love Ken'ichi Matsuyama. Ever since I and a couple of my friends sat down and watched Detroit Metal City, we needed more of him. The other girls weren't even anime fans, they just wanted more of that adorble actor, and the more roles we saw him in, the more impressed we were with his acting range. Ken'ichi Matsuyama is now hands down my favorite Japanese actor, and I've no doubt he could pull off a fantastic Spike. That boy gets every twitch and head tilt of his characters' body language down pat.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I'll always think of him as L.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
citizenplain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:

Ditto.

Time to start a campaign/website.
Sweetmusic_01

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I think he did a wonderful job in Gantz.
Kinda forgot that he played L before. lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:50 pm Reply with quote
The theatrical experience I had attending Gantz was so awful I'm not even sure whether the movie was any good or not. The theater was packed and I happened to be seated right next to a group of people who, immediately upon arriving, loudly riffed through the whole film. Not even funny riffs: the sameAqua Teen and Family Guy quotes I heard over and over throughout high school. And these people looked older than me.

Though I did take away at least one thing of note from watching the movie: it's weird to see actors overemoting in scenes of teary-eyed melodrama given completely disinterested-sounding dub voices.

And I loved the robot alien. Very effective the way they executed that sequence even with all the laughter and riffing.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Great interview. Smile Now that I`m living in Tokyo, there`s no excuse for me to miss seeing it.

Loved his work in the DMC movie too.
Apashi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Just came back from seeing Gantz! As usual Matsuyama did an amazing job. Thanks so much for the interview! Now I know he likes the same manga I do ^__^
gwdone

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Great freaking movie from a great anime series!!! I drove through snow and ice,, but got there, had a great time! I'll be in line for part 2 . I hope it gets to the states like this one did.

I'm very jealous of the interpreters. As a kid and now an adult kid, my dream was always music and being a translator!!

Anyway,, Great show!!!! Thanks for making us aware, and for this bonus interview!!! Way to go ANN!!!
JuicyB

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:59 pm Reply with quote
DrizzlingEnthalpy wrote:
The theatrical experience I had attending Gantz was so awful I'm not even sure whether the movie was any good or not. The theater was packed and I happened to be seated right next to a group of people who, immediately upon arriving, loudly riffed through the whole film. Not even funny riffs: the sameAqua Teen and Family Guy quotes I heard over and over throughout high school. And these people looked older than me.

Though I did take away at least one thing of note from watching the movie: it's weird to see actors overemoting in scenes of teary-eyed melodrama given completely disinterested-sounding dub voices.

And I loved the robot alien. Very effective the way they executed that sequence even with all the laughter and riffing.

Damn and I thought my experience at the theater sucked... anyway the movie was pretty much what I expected aside from the ridiculously bad gag dub.
Sweetmusic_01

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:03 am Reply with quote
DrizzlingEnthalpy wrote:
completely disinterested-sounding dub voices

I agree the dub was terrible. I'm hoping the go with the actor's suggestion and play it with the Japanese dub next time.

Sorry that your theater experience was bad. I was just happy that it seemed to have such a high turn out... though I wish Funimation would team up with Fathom Events so we don't miss out on other films. (Still bummed we didn't get theater for Eva 2.0 when we did for Eva 1.0)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
minakichan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:06 am Reply with quote
MatsuKen, I love you but... you are no Spike.
Stefnick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:15 am Reply with quote
DrizzlingEnthalpy wrote:

Wow..sucky. But I'm glad the theater was packed somewhere. The showing at my town only had 5 attendants and one of the was me. Despite there being hardly anyone in the theater. Two guys behind me had the habit of mockingly repeating the lines that was just said in the movie. I get it! The dub is awkward and bad, you're not helping.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:02 am Reply with quote
English dub aside, the movie is still god-awful and full of unintentionally hilarious moments. I doubt watching it subbed would improve it all that much. Poorly staged action with cheap-looking FX, poorly paced, annoyingly overemoted acting, etc. Just flat-out bad all around.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2