• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Brain Diving - Thrown for a Loup

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:50 am Reply with quote
I always thought the anime of this looked interesting, maybe I'll pick up the book. I had no idea it had been translated.

Quote:
However, in the end there is no “fight the system” call to arms against the repressive regime of technology.

I actually prefer it when dystopian stories don't do this. Inevitably, reading about the characters lives in the repressive or dysfunctional system and how they respond to it is much more interesting than reading about their rebellion.

(For a very effective and heartbreaking example of a story like this, check out Kazuo Ishigurio's "Never Let Me Go").
Key

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Although I haven't read the novel or the manga version, I have seen the movie version, and it doesn't sound like too much got changed. (I don't recall anything int he movie about anime devotees, but that's the only significant difference.) The movie definitely had a "Big Brother" overtone, and its best parts did not include the laughable scheme at the heart of many of the killings.

And I also agree about the character designs, which were far from my favorites.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rime of the Ancient Otaku

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:52 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Although I haven't read the novel or the manga version, I have seen the movie version, and it doesn't sound like too much got changed. (I don't recall anything int he movie about anime devotees, but that's the only significant difference.) The movie definitely had a "Big Brother" overtone, and its best parts did not include the laughable scheme at the heart of many of the killings.

And I also agree about the character designs, which were far from my favorites.

The anime devotees were there: spoiler[Yūko Yabe was initially attacked by the mask wearers for essentially doing manga doodles too similar to an established animation character, somehow cheapening the original. Deviant Art Critique, taken to the extreme?]

Once I got over my disappointment that the werewolf was metaphorical, I enjoyed the movie.

I was struck by the mystery of the piece. It reminded me a lot of a party game I've heard of called are you a Werewolf?. I may have to hunt the book down to see whether I was just reading more into things.

The Read This article looks fascinating as well. I wonder what the author's take on Ōkamikakushi would have been...
edzieba

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:55 am Reply with quote
Loups-Garous holds the distinction of the only book I have given up on reading. About every 10 or so pages, a group of 3 (or more) characters will hold a conversation. This often consist of one-word replies to expositionary dialogue or echoing of the previous line with an added question or exclaimation mark, and will give no indication whatsoever which character is saying what. You really just get 20 or so lines of dialogue at a time without even an 'X interjected' or 'Y said' dropped in to clear things up. There is also the odd practice of adding line breaks between two lines of dialogue said by the same characters, further confusing things. All in all, massively unpleasant to read.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:58 am Reply with quote
This series sounds interesting. I'd been wanting to check it out for some time now. Maybe I'll give the novel a spin.
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
I actually prefer it when dystopian stories don't do this. Inevitably, reading about the characters lives in the repressive or dysfunctional system and how they respond to it is much more interesting than reading about their rebellion.

When I come across a story like this, I appreciate its human dimensions and the characters' coming to grips with their fates in various ways. However, I also imagine a little disclaimer on the cover. "This is a work of fiction, not a plan of action. If you find yourself in a dystopian existence, find ways to rebel to retain human dignity and fight for good. Thank you."
BrianRuh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:39 pm Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
This often consist of one-word replies to expositionary dialogue or echoing of the previous line with an added question or exclaimation mark, and will give no indication whatsoever which character is saying what.

I'd heard that criticism of the writing style going into the book. I understand why some people might not like the way the dialogue was arranged, but it honestly didn't bother me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1