• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Brain Diving - The Filth and the Furi

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:26 am Reply with quote
Nice! I love these books! I think they are due for another read to celebrate the anime being back in print.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:22 am Reply with quote
this totally reminds me I still have to read them. I kept putting off buying them, but I know my niece has them so maybe I'll offer to lend her my copies of the Crest of the Stars novels if she lends me her FLCL novels...

she's such a fan of the series she's actually managed to beat me to the punch buying the DVDs, the novels, the manga, and much of the merchandise before I did anything more than watch it on Adult Swim when it was airing. I honestly don't know why I let that happen, at least with the anime, since I adore Kari Wahlgren's job voicing Haruko so much. she's one of my favorite VAs out there, both in terms of domestic ones and Japanese ones.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:23 am Reply with quote
Since I finished watching the anime last week (which I loved by the way0 I might have to now go back and pick up the books since I have never read them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:53 am Reply with quote
I loved the anime, although admittedly episode 4 almost put me off. And the Pillows rock soundtrack was and is still so revolutionary, perfectly capturing or rather making the atmosphere of FLCL. Even so, reading these novels helped me better appreciate it. The anime was so nonsensical and moved at such a hyperactive pace, that the steadiness of the novel helped me better understand all that was going on. It finally made clear just what the deal was with Amarao's eyebrows, and why Haruko seemed to have the freedom to fulfill her sinister intentions for Earth even though she supposedly works for a space police organization.

Quote:
Once I had finished all six episodes of the series, I moved on to reading the FLCL manga once it came out in English. I honestly don't remember too much about it, but wasn't terribly impressed with artist Hajime Ueda's take on the story.

In my opinion, the manga isn't bad at all, but it is in fact a darker version of the story, not in a hyper-comic way but in an oftentimes genuinely brutal way. For instance, Naoto spoiler[really does kill his father], both he and Mamimi go through sinking insanity due to the events going around them, and it felt Haruko had even more evil intentions against the other characters than she did in the Anime. But even so, the manga had its interesting moments, the least of which Ninamori's expanded role. I never fully understood her overall significance in the Anime, why the camera kept focusing on her beyond episode 3, unless because she was meant to be Naoto's parallel in some way. But in the manga, she has her own robot and fights alongside Naoto, making her a little cooler.

Quote:
(the original DVDs came with a booklet of handy cultural notes to help navigate this minefield; I haven't heard if Funimation is including anything similar with their new version)

According to Right Stuf's product info, it seems to be barebones, making me glad I've stuck to keeping my treasured synch-point singles.

Quote:
Although the books look like they're still in print,

Since it's Tokyopop, it won't stay that way, so everyone better get these books (and the manga, if interested) while they can.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:25 am Reply with quote
Despite being written by Enokido himself, the FLCL novels never interested me much, since I assumed they were just a straight adaptation of the show, but this column may have changed my mind.

I also didn't know there was a flashforward segment an the end of the last novel. Could someone spoil it for me (with proper tags, of course)?
captainbanana

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
Despite being written by Enokido himself, the FLCL novels never interested me much, since I assumed they were just a straight adaptation of the show, but this column may have changed my mind.

I also didn't know there was a flashforward segment an the end of the last novel. Could someone spoil it for me (with proper tags, of course)?

It's been a while since I've read them, but I'm pretty sure that the major plot points are all shared between the books and the anime. Since the anime was only six episodes though, there is obviously a lot of fleshing out in the novels that may explain some things for people that weren't sure what was going on in the anime.

I'd definitely recommend them. Maybe not for $10 though (I think I paid $5 each) because of how short they are.
jsc315

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I personally like the manga better then the novels but thats just me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1