• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toriko, One Piece Get Crossover TV Anime Special

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:30 am Reply with quote
Guess Toei's trying to get some last minute promotion in for Toriko...
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:30 am Reply with quote
Guess Toei's trying to get some last minute promotion in for Toriko...
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:35 am Reply with quote
This gets animated, but not Cross Epoch? What's with that?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:14 am Reply with quote
What's with the snarky attitude?

I personally think this is going to be fun to see both the One Piece and Toriko cast hunting monsters for big eats! It definitely fits in with both the protagonist's insatiable appetite for prime meats. Smile

I'm also hoping it'll have a little Iron Chef competition between Sanji and Komatsu since they're both top chefs.

Can't wait! Very Happy

EDIT: After reading through the description on Arlong Park forums, this will most likely focus on the interactions between Chopper and Terry so now I'm not so sure about this. Confused
daichi383

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:07 am Reply with quote
Are there any trailers for the toriko anime?
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:04 pm Reply with quote
SaiyanHero16 wrote:
This gets animated, but not Cross Epoch? What's with that?

This!

You would think that the films with PS2 graphics was enough to promote One Piece & Toriko together then they come up with this? What a waste!
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:18 pm Reply with quote
This isn't a waste! Yes, we would all like to see Cross Epoch animated but it's not in the works at the moment.

This crossover special between One Piece and Toriko is pretty much a promotional tool for Toei for the new Toriko anime series that is set to officially air the week after. Toei is putting a lot of faith into Toriko and what better way to attract the audience than to have their other big money maker, One Piece, together with their newest property. It's a very clever marketing tactic!

Besides, for all we know, Oda and Toriyama may want something extra out of seeing their little co-project animated. Maybe that's the reason why Cross Epoch hasn't been given the animation treatment yet. Don't get your panties in a knot people!
SSJLuffy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Dragonball and One Piece are my two favorite animes. I can't wait to check this anime out.

I'll use this as a sort of preview of Toriko, although I won't judge the series on this little advertising experiment Toei is doing here.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:27 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Toei is putting a lot of faith into Toriko and what better way to attract the audience than to have their other big money maker, One Piece, together with their newest property. It's a very clever marketing tactic!

Meanwhile they screw over the people who actually like Dragon Ball Kai by ending it at the Cell arc.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:59 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Meanwhile they screw over the people who actually like Dragon Ball Kai by ending it at the Cell arc.

Well, isn't that how Toriyama wanted his series to end?
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:04 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

Thank you!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:22 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
NJ_ wrote:

Well, isn't that how Toriyama wanted his series to end?

http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15102
Bell02

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:33 am Reply with quote
Can someone explain to me the appeal of Toriko? I don't mean to sound rude, but it sounds like a recipe for success for me, but it just doesn't seem to match my tastes. (You better believe those puns were intended!) I mean, I love Cooking Manga, I love Adventure Manga, but I don't think I like this that much because it's less about the cooking and more about the hunting, and to me I just don't get the rhyme or the reason to the creature logic so it seems like any monster or situation can conveniently appear. (Which makes it feel like a gag-manga without as many gags)

Still, it seems like its a pretty popular up and coming Jump series, so I just want to better understand it's appeal and see what I got wrong.

Last edited by Bell02 on Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:17 am Reply with quote
Bell02 wrote:
Can someone explain to me the appeal of Toriko? I don't mean to sound rude, but it sounds like a recipe for success for me, but it just doesn't seem to match my tastes. (You better believe those puns were intended!) I mean, I love Cooking Manga, I love Adventure Manga, but I don't think I like this that much because it's less about the cooking and more about the hunting, and to me I just don't get the rhyme or the reason to the creature logic so it seems like monster or situation can conveniently appear. (Which makes it feel like a gag-manga without as many gags)

Still, it seems like its a pretty popular up and coming Jump series, so I just want to better understand it's appeal and see what I got wrong.

Basically it's this: If Fist of the North Star and One Piece had a love child, it would look something like Toriko. It's good dumb fun with all the freakishly strong men trashing crap.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:33 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

Even with this list, Toei had always intended from the start to not make Kai last more than roughly 100 episodes. That number is already coming to pass and even the Japanese DVD distribution company, Happinet, has confirmed this. This isn't some last minute decision that got announced at the 11th hour. If you're saying Toei screwed the DBZ fans over, then they've already done so two years ago by choosing to go for the 100 episode format.

But who knows? Maybe after Toriko finishes a season or two, Toei may go back and re-edit the Buu arc and have it serve as filler until the next season of Toriko is ready instead of putting the new property into filler hell. The manga for Toriko only has 130 chapters which is not a lot of material to keep the studio busy until they catch up. Television production moves at a far brisker pace than comic publishing and DBZ Kai has been getting big ratings in Japan. If Toei knows that it can bring ratings, it's not out of the question for them to do it. Right now, they want to bring focus to their newest JUMP property for all its worth.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2