• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Anime Magazine for Women

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Proman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:29 pm Reply with quote
What, no yaoi Laughing Laughing Laughing (sorry, I just couldn't resist)?
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what exactly makes it so different from other anime magazines. In depth articles on bishonen? Male centerfolds instead of female?
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Heh...that actually makes sense...

I remember reading a reader's complaint that Newtype centerfolds were all female...

Tho I'm happy that the cover doesn't look TOO feminine...Maybe I'll pick one up...
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:50 pm Reply with quote
What!? Woman dont play video games! [/sarcasm].
kopiikat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Anime magazines, especially in Japan, are very male-oriented. You can even tell with the stuff that they translate from Newtype that they put into Newtype USA. For example: the issue with all the "pretty girls." The highest ranking girls were the ones who were cute, quiet, and submissive. That's just because most anime fans that would read Newtype in Japan are guys, and because Japan's culture is still very male-dominated. (Examples: women expected to quit their jobs and get married by 25, train groping not usually reported as sexual harassment, etc.)

I would think that an anime magazine for women would be similar to a magazine for men, but would not concentrate on, for example, how cute Chii is and how much she needs Hideki, but more on relationships and plot, cute male characters, or the power that Chii has. (Really, just look at Newtype's descriptions of characters like Chii. "She's so cute when she says something stupid.") Also, it leaves room for shows that are more popular with women, like things that were based on josei manga, or shows like Maria-sama ga Miteru, (which was based on a series of novels?)
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I wish the US were like Japan, and most of our women like to play video games.

/sigh
Erufu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I was so dissapointed when I clicked on "more" and found out it was in Japanese! I was all ready to call my mom in FL and get her looking for it down there. I for one (being a girl) say "YAY"!

The magazine will probably cover different anime than magazines like NewType, adding a male centerfold in just for taste. There are a lot of cute anime guys out there, you know.
TheDoom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm wondering if this is just a magazine more marketed towards women or perhaps one with slightly more feminist content? Surely the anime fans at Bitch Magazine cannot be happy with the content (as posted above) quiet, submissive women who only care of how to serve men better. One anime comes to mind (I cant think of a title now, I merely saw a trailer) where a woman strives to become some man's wife, simply because they were childhood loves. However, I'm not sure if this is how it went down in the show or not. But, we consistantly see women NEEDING men, instead of being their own independant person. Of course, this varies with series and films. But, the amount of strong female characters surely is outnumbered by the male.
Stitch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Even though I'm male I'd buy a copy anyways, to check it out.
All the anime series they name I actually enjoy a lot myself so I don't care if it suppose to be a female magazine, and they better have some nice centerfolds of some bishounens in there! Twisted Evil

Hopefully maybe someone will come up with a political correct anime/manga related magazine, then we can all buy it and not be offended or put into a box, accept the anime/manga-otaku box or whatever.

I for sure would like to get my hands on one, preferable translated so I would understand it better, all in all, I think it's a good thing to have a magazine like that.
KiraYamatoX06

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I would pick it up and I am a guy. As long as it wasnt too centered on shonen-ai or yaoi I would be fine.
Kenshin5000

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm a guy and I'd pick one up too. I'm really starting to get ticked off at Newtype's VERY machismo attitude, what with the submissive females being touted and all (of course, that's most anime in general...). Frankly, I'd like to see more intelligent discussions in this magazine as well, since half of it won't be composed of splash photos of the girls from the latest harem show like in Newtype.

But then again, wouldn't that just be switched with pictures of scantilly-clad guys?

W/e. More to power to females, I say!
JupiterAH2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Is there any way I can actaully get my hands on this other than going to Japan?
Mitsukino_Usagi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:08 am Reply with quote
JupiterAH2 wrote:
Is there any way I can actaully get my hands on this other than going to Japan?

Well there can be 3 ways:

1) You can order them via ur local game/anime/video store
2) YOu can get a subscription on Internet, like yesasia.com, they have a wide variaty of asian magazines.
3) Go to Japan and get it urself Laughing

Anyways it's about time women got there own anime magazine, I for one am tired of seing Big Booded, submissive, and all that crap of girls Anime hyper yuck!, Specially NewType, in most of my issues of NewType I hear grrls wanting a damn poster of some cute Bishounen Anime cry! and so for NOTHING! u_u*! X3 I just hope this mag gets translated in english Anime smile
Tagarth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:47 am Reply with quote
TheDoom wrote:
One anime comes to mind (I can't think of a title now, I merely saw a trailer) where a woman strives to become some man's wife, simply because they were childhood loves. However, I'm not sure if this is how it went down in the show or not. But, we consistantly see women NEEDING men, instead of being their own independant person.

Well, in any of the anime shows I have watched (Now it's true, I don't seek Fan service but slightly more mature shows), the guy always needs the girl about as much as she needs him. I mean, thats how love has always stood out to me, as the need a man has for a woman (To complete him to quote the bible), and the need a woman has for the man to take care of her. With out the other the person is not complete. Now, if I am not bitch slapped to death by my romantisism (What ever the plural is on that)...

Cool, I was just talking about a female aimed Anime magazine with a buddy of mine a couple days ago. They could have made on of these a long time ago however, you just have to look at the anime/manga reviews written by woman (Like the ones on this site), as they look at the show a little diferently then the males, and focus on things like story rather then... boobies?
jfrog

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:06 am Reply with quote
Tagarth wrote:
Well, in any of the anime shows I have watched (Now it's true, I don't seek Fan service but slightly more mature shows), the guy always needs the girl about as much as she needs him. I mean, thats how love has always stood out to me, as the need a man has for a woman (To complete him to quote the bible), and the need a woman has for the man to take care of her. With out the other the person is not complete. Now, if I am not bad word slapped to death by my romantisism (What ever the plural is on that)...

You need to watch some fanservice shows just so you know what you're avoiding. DearS, which contains a chorus of young girls singing "I'm Your Slave!" in the opening sequence, sounds like it'll be a good place to start. On second thought, don't.

*Goes back to watching Otogizoushi, with its female director and strong female lead*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2