• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japan's Nico Nico Douga Video Site Starts English Beta

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soft-n-fluffy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:54 pm Reply with quote
This has been in the works for a long time.
Well whatever, I'm really excited for this. And since each separate language version of NND has their own comments section for videos, us English speakers can comment in English on videos Japanese users uploaded without bothering anybody.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:56 pm Reply with quote
huh another legal streaming site.. nice
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Cool! My life's desire to eventually be able to stream all currently airing anime legitimately advances another step.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to make it my goal to put as many "wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww" in the comments of random videos as I can.

Gotta have the authentic Nico Nico Douga experience.
gwdone

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:13 pm Reply with quote
That's the site where all the cool Hatsune Miku videos are coming from. Which I really like. I buy Miku / Vocaloids from Hear Japan and the DVD of the last 39's Givings Day Concert at CD Japan.

I won't purchase anything streaming. Buffer city,,, quality = bad,,, ad's ever few minutes, plus I never own it. I want full control of my content w/ out some lick in my face trying to sell me something.

I dropped Direc tv sat service after I finally was fed up with free credit report / nutrisystem / aarp commercials. And so far stream is much of the same with the added bonus of buffer city.

I will say that streaming did help me with the balance of the 'Monster' series. (Grimmer is so cool!) And I think 'House of Five Leaves' is wonderful. If they were out there to purchase, I would own them both today! As it stands, I'm stuck with just part one of 'Monster' on DVD and no version of 'House of Five Leaves' Sure, I can cap and rip it,, but that's not the same as a cool box and cool artwork and if lucky some extra goodies. Looks nice on my shelves Smile
SpaceDrake

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually a little bit confused: does the English portal offer access to all the Japanese videos? I searched for a few things on the English portal and didn't get the results I expected.
Mavrick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:42 pm Reply with quote
SpaceDrake wrote:
I'm actually a little bit confused: does the English portal offer access to all the Japanese videos? I searched for a few things on the English portal and didn't get the results I expected.

That's the big question. It doesn't seem to use the same database structure i.e. sm numbers for videos.
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I happily approve of this Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Altorrin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Dear God, YES. This news pleases me. (Won't have to resort to half-broken Mylingual now~)
Tu101uk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I too am interested on whether the English site can access the Japanese-uploaded videos...

As well as random anime videos, I access NicoNico to see some fighting game action (especially the niche titles like Arcana Heart and Melty Blood), so it would be a huuuuuuuuuuuge time-saver if it were possible...

Wait and see, I suppose... o_o;;;
QuinnM

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Looks pretty fake to me.

Is there any proof it's really an official English version? Like you know... a link/comment/press release from Nico Video themselves?

All of the other official Nico Video sites are as follows:

Spain - http://es.nicovideo.jp
Germany - http://de.nicovideo.jp
Taiwan - http://tw.nicovideo.jp

They all look the same, follow the same address structure and don't look like they've been designed by a high school student phishing for people's account details.

Why are they allowing linking to youtube videos? Nicovideo originally done that when they first started, but was told to stop.

The site is quite clearly a fake.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:17 pm Reply with quote
QuinnM wrote:
Looks pretty fake to me.

With the ability for me to sign in with my Nico Nico Douga login? You can't fake that.
QuinnM

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
QuinnM wrote:
Looks pretty fake to me.

With the ability for me to sign in with my Nico Nico Douga login? You can't fake that.

Could easily just take the login details you give it, the server then attempts to login on the nicovideo site, then depending on whether that was successful it either logs you in on their site, or says the login failed.
nght5tlkr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I could have sworn there was already an English variant for at least a year already. It hosted events such as the space shuttle launch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:55 pm Reply with quote
QuinnM wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
QuinnM wrote:
Looks pretty fake to me.

Could easily just take the login details you give it, the server then attempts to login on the nicovideo site, then depending on whether that was successful it either logs you in on their site, or says the login failed.

Out of curiosity, I did a test.

I don't have a nico nico douga account. So I signed up for a brand new account at niconico.com, using an alternate email address and a password that I don't use anywhere else, just in case your claims were true.

I can now sign into nico nico douga using said email address and password, despite never having registered there.

Now, I suppose you could say that the fake niconico.com simply took my registration details, and then registered for a new account at nico nico douga. But I if so, wouldn't I have received a confirmation email from nico nico douga, informing me of my new account?

I only ever received a confirmation email from niconico.com. If it is in fact a totally separate scam site unrelated to nico nico douga, then I should have received another confirmation email when the scam sight registered my email with nico nico douga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2