• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Pop Vulture

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:55 am Reply with quote
The Tokyopop series I have in large numbers is My-Hime, Love Hina, and I am starting to collect GTO.

I agree with everyone in that Stu Levy basically wanted to be more than a small time publisher of manga and he killed the company because he was bored of it and wanted more.

The ADV analogy was really bad, ADV's problem was that they tried to dominate the market by releasing massive amounts of products. The problem is that the vast majority of people didn't want their products so the ones that did make money didn't cover the cost of the shows that flopped. Every time ADV held a panel at some convention like Anime Expo, or Otakon they would name out like 10 anime series with 7 anime no one has ever heard of. It was the same with their attempt at manga, where Gunslinger Girl and Azumanga Daioh was their two big manga, and everything else failed. They had licensed in bulk a bunch of manga from Mag Garden when several of those titles where sequels to series that Square Enix owned the first part to. If they had picked up Gunslinger Girl, Aqua, and Azumanga Daioh it would have been much more successful along the lines of Del Ray's manga line (which started with hit series Tsubasa, XXXholic, and Negima), which is now part of Kodansha.

Tokyopop's problem was that they hyped up Stu Levy's pet projects instead of the good series they had (the Rising Star discovered Amy Reeder Handley whose made a name for herself in the comic industry).

Do people honestly believe that the anime market has hit the bottom yet? I don't see the sales going up it's just that licensing fees have collapsed. You have seen some minor hits like Code Geass,

Do we really need to remake Sailor Moon? With Fullmetal Alchemist you basically have 50 episodes of new material that have nothing to do with the first anime. With Sailor Moon you have the exact same characters with different storyline. For the example the Amazoness Quartet have a different origin. You can't say, "just wait until the manga plot line begins and you will get a completely different series".

With Rurouni Kenshin, you have the final third of the manga that has a short part of it animated (the remembrance mini-arc was animated as the Trust and Betrayal OVA) but is mostly new material that wraps up the series a lot better than the anime.

If some more anime is remade I can think of a couple from the last twenty years that I would rather see like Fruits Basket, or Ranma 1/2.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:17 am Reply with quote
OK, looks like I can download the podcast ASAP. Also, I ask Tokyopop what they thought about Sailor Moon manga coming back to US (Tokyopop published Sailor Moon in the US in the past) on their Facebook page and they never reply back. I would like to hear their thought on that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:14 am Reply with quote
Eh, I'd argue that the fall of Geneon has left a hole in the industry. Dubs are now the exception and not the rule. While that would've happened if Geneon was still around the near death of dubs produced in LA and Canada wouldn't have happened.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:20 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Eh, I'd argue that the fall of Geneon has left a hole in the industry. Dubs are now the exception and not the rule. While that would've happened if Geneon was still around the near death of dubs produced in LA and Canada wouldn't have happened.

Geneon was so incompetent that they where losing money during the boom period. The only way that Geneon could be saved was if the anime industry kept on seeing 20% growth year after year.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:01 am Reply with quote
Haven't had time to listen yet, but nonetheless:

Charred Knight wrote:

The ADV analogy was really bad, ADV's problem was that they tried to dominate the market by releasing massive amounts of products. The problem is that the vast majority of people didn't want their products so the ones that did make money didn't cover the cost of the shows that flopped.

Yeah, but wouldn't you say Tokyopop's cine-manga and a lot of its OEL books count as products that folks weren't really looking for?
Quote:

Do we really need to remake Sailor Moon? With Fullmetal Alchemist you basically have 50 episodes of new material that have nothing to do with the first anime. With Sailor Moon you have the exact same characters with different storyline. For the example the Amazoness Quartet have a different origin. You can't say, "just wait until the manga plot line begins and you will get a completely different series".

The thing is, a lot of the characterization is different. It absolutely is. I know this from mere memories of the old books that I read way back. There are ideas in the manga that were not written into the TV anime. What we have in this situation is a distinctly alternate interpretation in many ways, and animating that faithfully would deliver a sufficiently fresh product.

Artistically, the style of the anime and the style of the manga are definitely different too. A more stylistic and modern approach would be a sight to look at today.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:49 am Reply with quote
After Madoka Magica, I'm not sure what kind of impact a Sailor Moon remake would have in Japan. I guess it depends on Who's doing it.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

The ADV analogy was really bad, ADV's problem was that they tried to dominate the market by releasing massive amounts of products

My point was that there are many basic similarities between the stories of the two companies. I wasn't trying to say they were exactly the same nor was I directly comparing Tokyopop to what happened with ADV manga. Thanks for your tactful response, though!

Charred Knight wrote:

Clearly you are thinking about this from a business perspective and not just "what I personally would like to see".
Hardgear

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:30 pm Reply with quote
While I am sad that Aria is now likely dead for good, at least Rightstuf put out the anime in its entirety. I like the anime better myself (though not my favorite anime, Aria definitely has my vote for being the best made anime I have ever seen: That show is definitely far greater than the sum of its parts, but of course each of those parts fits together perfectly with all the rest, nothing is wasted), but having it in a more "portable" format was definitely nice.

Hopefully someone else picks up Twelve Kingdoms, though it would be ironically funny if the light novels were left hanging at the same point that the anime ended on.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Clearly you are thinking about this from a business perspective and not just "what I personally would like to see".

That actually would be a really interesting segment to see where you and a guest (possibly with Justin added) talk about what remakes you would like to see and why.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:24 pm Reply with quote
The only reason I'm sad is because I won't get the last volume of Future Diray. But, since they've been doing stupid shit for a while... so...that's life.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Interesting podcast. I have to wonder about Zac's friend the art teacher who says that students who draw manga get "locked" into the style. I teach art in middle school and I notice that the kids who love to draw manga styled artwork don't have a particularly hard time drawing things that are more realistic. Sure a lot of them LIKE the manga style better, so that's what they are going to WANT to draw, but they are able to translate between realism and cartoons. When it comes time to do "realistic shading", perspective, or "real" anatomy - they don't flop.

Maybe it's because they are younger? But it seems to me that once you get the idea that anything you want to draw can be broken down into the,five basic elements of shape (curved lines, straight lines, angles, circles, and/or dots) then you can skip from one art style to the next. Of course if you are a fan of the manga/anime style, then you are going to be inclined to draw that way. Most writers, musicians, and artists are influenced by their favorite styles or creators.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:14 pm Reply with quote
...this depresses me greatly i will miss Tokyo pop greatly even though they have dropped the ball in the past years, I still bought what I could of what series I liked. The thing is though they should have adapted with the times and tried to hang on to old license for digital distribution through tunes, kindle and android. The main reason I do scans for manga "besides those like kodomo no jikan, to love ru and lotte's toy" is because of the fact that it's easier to store and keep. Lets face it manga or books in general are not something that's easy to store like dvd's and games are but even so even with my harsh criticism of them, I will miss them greatly, If not for them I would have avoided manga in the 1st place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mix303

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Zac wrote:

That actually would be a really interesting segment to see where you and a guest (possibly with Justin added) talk about what remakes you would like to see and why.

I agree it would be very interesting.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I've actually been thinking about how awesome it'd be if Sailor Moon was re-invented as a slice-of-life moé series with no magical powers. Usagi and the other Sailor Senshi could be members of a high school "do good deeds" club, Queen Beryl would be the principal of the high school, and her generals would be the student council. Also, while not first season, Professor Tomoe would be the science teacher, naturally.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I've actually been thinking about how awesome it'd be if Sailor Moon was re-invented as a slice-of-life moé series with no magical powers. Usagi and the other Sailor Senshi could be members of a high school "do good deeds" club, Queen Beryl would be the principal of the high school, and her generals would be the student council. Also, while not first season, Professor Tomoe would be the science teacher, naturally.

what about hotura and chibiusa? That would be a little awkward still hmm I wouldn't mind seeing myself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4