• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Search results opening in new tabs

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:35 pm Reply with quote
So I've noticed the Search Function got a revamp, but it has an annoying twist. When I click on a search result it opens it in another tab, which is completely unnecessary, and a tad annoying since I now have to close the previous tab (or close the one the one that just opened). Considering that the biggest browsers all allow you to open something in a new tab if you want to already, I don't see how this helps with anything that we weren't already capable of.

Just having the option to turn it off under the subscription or something (like the Marquee) would be nice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Huh? Are you sure it's not your browser settings? I'm on Firefox 3.6-something, and if I click a search result, it opens directly in that window.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:29 pm Reply with quote
No, the same's been happening for me in both Firefox 3.5 and Chrome 12 since the upgrade. The "news" and "views" tabs above in the search results never seem to work either.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mylene

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm having the same issue with Firefox 3.6.17, and it's irritating. If I wanted it to open in a new tab, I would have right-clicked and selected the option. Now whenever I go encyclopedia diving I end up with a half-dozen tabs to close (or go to to figure out which one has the information I was seeking for a given topic).

Any chance this "enhancement" could be removed? Or at the very least give people back an option (maybe in MyANN settings)? You can always right-click and open a link in a new tab/window, you can't do the same to open it in the same window.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:50 pm Reply with quote
fixed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:43 am Reply with quote
It's still doing it. For reference, I'm testing this on both Opera 11.10 and FireFox 4.0.1 and in both cases results opened in new tabs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mylene

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:12 am Reply with quote
On the other hand, it is fixed for Firefox 3.6.17. Thank you, Dan.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:42 pm Reply with quote
It stopped opening new tabs for me since Dan42 announced it. I'm using the newest Firefox.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:53 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
It stopped opening new tabs for me since Dan42 announced it. I'm using the newest Firefox.

I am using Firefox 4.01 and actually have yet to have any issues what so ever.

Could be a glitch in the database, but somehow I doubt that given how detail oriented ANN is.

Have you tried clearing your cookies? That usually fixes minor issues like this for me.

There is a chance that this a error that is occurring in the code, in which case can only be solved my ANN.

Out of curiosity, what OS are you running Egoist. Because the other day I wasn't able to access a website on Windows XP, but was able to on a friends computer that was running Windows Seven.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1