• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - World's Greatest

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think if you're in the mood for epic fantasy, perhaps after watching Game of Thrones, Tales from Earthsea is worth a look. Just don't set your expectations too high.

Here, let me fix this for you:

If you're in the mood for epic fantasy like Game of Thrones, and don't mind to see one of your favorite book series adapted to the point it doesn't even resemble the original material (unlikely if you're a Song of Ice and Fire fan), Tales of Earthsea is worth a look.

I'm one of those fantasy bookworms who loves the original Earthsea book series, and that ... thing studio ghilbi came up with is just about as great of an adaption as that oh so crappy Sci-Fi miniseries a couple years back was. I, much as with the the Sci-Fi series, never want to see it again, and will hopefully, someday, if I'm very lucky, forget about it.

READ THE BOOKS INSTEAD PEOPLE. Don't let these horrid things ruin your opinion of Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea!

Then again if you rarely, if ever pick up one of those things called books for entertainment - have at it. You might enjoy it. Drastic changes between Howl's Moving Castle and the Miyazaki movie I can forgive. This thing? No.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually NOT a big fan of Ghibli, and I actually think that most of their films are the anime equivalent of Oscar Bait. I wonder if that means I'll actually LIKE Tales of Earthsea?

As for Chrono Crusade. I hate you so much. You and your horrible, vomit-inducingly nighilistic ending. Instead of airing the last few episodes, maybe Studio Gonzo should've just mailed all the fans of the manga some razor blades?
egoist

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
As for Chrono Crusade. I hate you so much. You and your horrible, vomit-inducingly nighilistic ending. Instead of airing the last few episodes, maybe Studio Gonzo should've just mailed all the fans of the manga some razor blades?

For once I agree with manga fans.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Even though the pics are blurry, that is not bad of a collection. I need to get watching Chrono Crusade. I have the whole series in singles format back in the summer, but I never got around to watching them yet. I think that will be one of my goals over the summer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 2:20 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:

For once I agree with manga fans.

Just to be clear, are you agreeing with me, or are you saying that the manga fans should just kill themselves?
egoist

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 2:33 pm Reply with quote
What? I thought you wanted to shave? My god man, why would anyone suicide because of an ending?
sepherest

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The monsters look like doodles straight from the margins of a 7th grade boy's notebook

Well, the mangaka does put in monsters that his fans make up or draw pictures of so it's not that surprising Laughing
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 2:39 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
What? I thought you wanted to shave? My god man, why would anyone suicide because of an ending?

Well the ending of the Chrono Crusade anime does seem to give the message that in the end life is meaningless.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Nice, I loved TMNT as a kid. Smile I hope to get the DVDs one day.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:35 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
READ THE BOOKS INSTEAD PEOPLE. Don't let these horrid things ruin your opinion of Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea!

My new policy is to always see the movie first. So few movies are better than the books they're based on. (Notable exceptions include the 3rd Harry Potter movie and The Shining.) I read Howl's Moving Castle after seeing the movie, then watched the movie again for a completely different experience. I haven't read any Earthsea books or the Song of Ice and Fire. Recently I read the book Paprika was based on... it was crazy different! But now I can watch Paprika again with new eyes.

HyugaHinata wrote:
Nice, I loved TMNT as a kid. Smile I hope to get the DVDs one day.

I wanted to mention that, too! Bamboo picks the photos and posts them, so I didn't see the TMNT poster until just now. I loved the 80's Turtles growing up, and in 2008 I got to work on the newer series (which ran from 2002). I still haven't read the original comics...
Scormio

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Toriko just doesn't do it for me. I'm a HUGE fan of One Piece, Fairy Tail, Bleach, and other shounen's like that, but I just can't bring myself to enjoy it. I even went and read the first couple chapters of the manga at B&N last time I was there, and it still didn't interest me (and you're correct about the art, it's just...yeah).
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Oh god, I thought you were joking about the Boku no Sexual Harassment title, thought you were mocking another title, Japan you confuse me oh so much....
And I'll agree with the other posters (erm, at least I think I am) that I preferred the ending to the Chrono Crusade manga more than the anime, it just seemed better plotted out and was more bittersweet than the anime ending was.
Dagon123

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Scormio wrote:
Toriko just doesn't do it for me. I'm a HUGE fan of One Piece, Fairy Tail, Bleach, and other shounen's like that, but I just can't bring myself to enjoy it. I even went and read the first couple chapters of the manga at B&N last time I was there, and it still didn't interest me (and you're correct about the art, it's just...yeah).

Its because you like those that Toriko doesn't work for you, Toriko is for the Ultra gar, almost DBZ crowd who value masculinity and food above all else, and not goofy character designs whos stories last irl 20 years or more and whos anime should have ended a long time ago, lol
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:23 pm Reply with quote
All I want to say is Turtle Power!!! Anime hyper

Totally agree with Erin review for Tales of EarthSea. Saw it on Comcast OnDemand because I figured "Hey! A Studio Ghibi movie that haven't seen yet! What not give it a shot?" >__<
...it wasn't bad but it definitely was no Nausicaa.
Saturn

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If you want to learn more about manga and also happen to be a yaoi fan, apparently Spring 2011 is your lucky season.

I KNOW. Excellent. Laughing
Anyway, I wanted to comment about sexual harassment in Japan. It's apparently pretty common. I worked as a teacher, and got it from both my male coworkers and adult students, but I'm not thinking about myself in this case: I taught lessons at big companies half the time, and the sexual harassment that went on in those places that I witnessed was rampant. I had a class made up entirely of office ladies once and couldn't resist asking them their thoughts on the subject (as the lesson was all about office etiquette in America, anyway) and they all had stories about their bosses making lewd comments at work, or groping them during the more-or-less-required drinking parties every weekend, etc.
So I don't really know how often it's guy-on-guy, but it's pretty damn common when it's guy-on-girl at least.

Anyway. I agree with your comments on Earthsea. It could have been a lot better, but it just didn't deserve to be panned by critics the way it was.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4