• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Shuho Sato: Top 100 Manga Creators Averaged 70 Million Yen in Volume Royalties

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Nothing new; aside from from a tiny minority on top, everyone working in anime and manga gets the shaft.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:21 pm Reply with quote
If you remove Oda from the top 100 the 70 million yen (about US$860,000) figure will probably be about half that amount or less.
Omega13

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:31 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
If you remove Oda from the top 100 the 70 million yen (about US$860,000) figure will probably be about half that amount or less.

It takes a hit, but not that much, and it's easy enough to figure out:

70 million avg * 100 = 7 billion total among the top 100
1.3 billion of that is Oda = 5.7 billion for the other 99
5.7 billion/99 ~ 57.6 million average for artists 2-100
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Gosho is in the top 100 manga creators list...
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Omega13 wrote:
57.6 million average for artists 2-100

About $708,000 dlls, but if we weigh in they need to hire about 4 assistants to keep up with the required quality & schedule even if they are only paid $30k a year that would be $120k less. I wonder what do mangakas do between mangas, it might take years for a new successful idea; i.e. Takashii Shina ended GS Mikami in 1999 but it was until 2005 when he started Zettai Karen Children.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:42 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Omega13 wrote:
57.6 million average for artists 2-100

About $708,000 dlls, but if we weigh in they need to hire about 4 assistants to keep up with the required quality & schedule even if they are only paid $30k a year that would be $120k less. I wonder what do mangakas do between mangas, it might take years for a new successful idea; i.e. Takashii Shina ended GS Mikami in 1999 but it was until 2005 when he started Zettai Karen Children.

Some of the more successful creators will just take time off and live off their royalties, since their books will continue to sell even after the series ends. Not sure if Shina falls into that camp, though.

Others will do design work for entertainment companies. There's a long-standing trend of having manga creators design characters for video games, for example. That's pretty much what Akira Toriyama has been doing since Dragon Ball ended.

Still others will just end up taking regular, menial jobs while trying to get their next series published. This is especially common if their previous series was not a hit, in which case it can take years before a publisher will take a chance on them again.
InnocentSorrow59

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Haters gon' hate, but awesome for Oda!! He deserves it, he's pretty hard working. Plus he's a friggin' genius. Or maybe that's just my bias as a fan of One Piece Very Happy Whatever. Point is, good for him.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Nothing new; aside from from a tiny minority on top, everyone working in anime and manga gets the shaft.

Not really. They said that the bottom 5,200 make about $34,000 a year. While less than the average salary man, I'm sure they get to wake up later than a salary man, they get home from work (figuratively speaking) earlier than a salary man, they can call out sick whenever they want to, and they can slack off as much as they want without hearing complaints. I don't think a salaryman can come into the office on Monday and say, "I can finish the required weekly work as long as I start it by Thursday, so I'm just going to sit in my office and drink beer and play video games until then." These guys can. I think it evens out in the long run.
math4origami

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In comparison, the average income of a company employee in Japan was 4.09 million yen (US$51,000) in 2009. Sato noted that in order to make as much as an average company employee, a manga artist must sell at least 120,000 copies of their published works each year.

That means that they make less than $0.50 per volume, which can cost $3-5. I wonder if they could do better self publishing online...
noobiesnack

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:57 am Reply with quote
math4origami wrote:
Quote:
In comparison, the average income of a company employee in Japan was 4.09 million yen (US$51,000) in 2009. Sato noted that in order to make as much as an average company employee, a manga artist must sell at least 120,000 copies of their published works each year.

That means that they make less than $0.50 per volume, which can cost $3-5. I wonder if they could do better self publishing online...

Didn't you know that's a sin to publishers? People self publishing... UN HEARD OF!

Honestly though, they could make more online charging $1 per volume and probably sell hundreds more (maybe thousands more) if they don't region restrict and make it global. Only problem is, some people like their hard copies and wont buy it. And it is very difficult for a single person to publish something hard copy without a publisher.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:18 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Fronzel wrote:

Not really. They said that the bottom 5,200 make about $34,000 a year. While less than the average salary man, I'm sure they get to wake up later than a salary man, they get home from work (figuratively speaking) earlier than a salary man, they can call out sick whenever they want to, and they can slack off as much as they want without hearing complaints. I don't think a salaryman can come into the office on Monday and say, "I can finish the required weekly work as long as I start it by Thursday, so I'm just going to sit in my office and drink beer and play video games until then." These guys can. I think it evens out in the long run.

Haven't ya seen anime/manga about mangaka? How editors keep pressing them on deadlines and overworking 15 hours a day? Laughing
Gezmoyassine

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:14 am Reply with quote
I wonder how much Ikeda Akihisa made from R+V and how much he makes now from royalty?.Maybe it made it makes him enough to retire?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1