• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
London MCM Expo Convention Report

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Your correspondent came from Waterloo via Canning Town and had no problems on any of the three days, although it was clear from other commuting Expo-goers that not everyone was so lucky.

The TFL network served me well also. One wonders how these other visitors managed to encounter difficulties. With the standard exception of the W&C, all major lines were running far smoother than during previous events.

Out of interest, why was Andrew Osmond in the audience of the industry panel as opposed to being on the stage? It must be said that the on-stage ANN representative didn't contribute as much as the regular chaps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:58 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:
Your correspondent came from Waterloo via Canning Town and had no problems on any of the three days, although it was clear from other commuting Expo-goers that not everyone was so lucky.

The TFL network served me well also. One wonders how these other visitors managed to encounter difficulties. With the standard exception of the W&C, all major lines were running far smoother than during previous events.

Out of interest, why was Andrew Osmond in the audience of the industry panel as opposed to being on the stage? It must be said that the on-stage ANN representative didn't contribute as much as the regular chaps.
That might have been first time nerves. or has ANN been there before? Really no reason to be except maybe to scout out the UK scene to see if it was worth the addition of .co.uk. We drove in and apart from getting detoured into Central London, by misleading signage, I easily found the A13 and followed the ExCel, Docklands signs. The closer we got the more cosplayers we saw walking along the pavements no doubt missing the tubeservices. We got there 15 minutes before 0900 opening, and after parking and paying £10 for 6 hours we were in the N2 where there was already a looooong snake of costumed people waiting to get their wrist bands. I felt underdressed. Laughing
When finally in the main event, the most thing that caught my eye was all the heavily discounted TokyoPop manga there was, an obvious attempt to clear out stocks by all venders what had them. My daughter was dressed as Maka from Soul Eater, and she got lots of requests for photos and hugs. There was a lot of people some dress up, some not, with signs for free hugs whether to give, or receive. I saw several Hatsune Mikus, but one girl who had dressed as Miku, was absolutely picture perfect right down to the long boots and square twin-tail hair bands, even her eyes were green which must have been contacts. She held a sign for free hugs. I was so temped, but I remembered my age and rejected temptation. Wink My daughter blew her allowance on plushes, I broke the bank and splurged on a pair of Hatsune Miku key chain and stand up nenderoids for a fiver. All in all a grand day out, and I caught whiff of only two people in dire need of soap and water. That in itself was a major noticable improvement from my last experience at a convention. My daughter has threatened to drag me along next year. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1