• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Revolutionary War

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:36 pm Reply with quote
For some reason, 2/3 images are of K-On.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Hahaha K-On is trying to take over! Smile
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:09 pm Reply with quote
K-On has crossed the Rubicon! It's a K-On Pile-on!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:24 pm Reply with quote
That was weird. Anyway, it's fixed now.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There is no new dub on this set, which is a shame. The CPM dub is nigh-on-unwatchable. The dub actress playing Nanami (the villainess) in particular doesn't sound like she's taking her job seriously.

When we have Kotono Mitsuishi & Aya Hisakawa (Sailor Moon), Hikaru Midorikawa, Takehito Koyasu, Juurouta Kousugi & Tomoko Kawakami (Fushigi Yugi), Takeshi Kusao (Trunks, for heaven's sake!), Ai Orikasa(Tohma/Gravitation, Jakotsu/InuYasha, Quatre/Gundam Wing, Ryoko/Tenchi), Hiro Yuuki(Dende/DBZ, Omi/Weiss Kreuz), Nozomu Sasaki(Yusuke Urameshi, Mello/Death Note), & Ryotaro Okiayu (Jinnai/El Hazard, Byakuya/Bleach), who NEEDS the English track? The legendary April Fool's DBZ AF joke alledgedly used Kusao screaming as Saionji as audio for the "new" DBZ.
It's one of those casts where the dub doesn't matter because the original is excellent.
It's very strange & wonderful at the same time. The movie is also a change because they didn't just cut up eps or re-tell the series to make is. They opted for even more strange. I usually like the crazy Bo-bo-bo/Dr Slump sort of humor, but this goes for that realm outside of humor & insists the audience accept this crazy world at face value, yet it works because it IS very representative of teens becoming adults. They try on all sorts of things before coming out the other side (and some manage to never come out, but that's also addressed in the series.)
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For those of you who've never seen it, Utena may have aged just enough that it's going to be a little off-putting at first.

The one thing I didn't like about Utena which made it seem way older than its setting, even when it first came out, was its generic 70s Charlie Brown-esque background music when nothing important was happening. It comes off more low-budget that way. I know, Ikuhara and Saito were not big names in the industry back then, and they were probably fortunate to even get Utena greenlit in the first place. But that track would be one of the few I'd be ok with them excising for something a little more modern in the new edition.

Quote:
By the way, the soundtrack is a must-own.

It appears Right Stuf still has some leftover Geneon CDs, too.

Quote:
The dub actress playing Nanami (the villainess) in particular doesn't sound like she's taking her job seriously.

I didn't really watch the dub, but I thought the actual voice actor interviews on the CPM discs were a nice touch, because they seemed like pleasant people IRL.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I hated Koehime Muso. Oh man it was soooo terrible, I could only get through about 4 episodes. Absolutely bland, and the fanservice was terrible.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I remember when you were tweeting about unusual manga topics in order to accumulate a myriad of titles for a possible panel. I'm glad you're panel idea is a-go, because it's such a cool topic! I've heard of so many strange manga topics (how popular is Golf Manga, anyway?) That sometimes I wonder what subjects haven't been turned into manga.
I'd love to see a "Black Jack" homage starring a female doctor, a realistic takes on divorce and the subsequent managing of a household on one income and custodial parent, and a tale of religious Muslims, either in the present or ancient past (on the "Religion in Manga" thread over on the manga boards here, posters were able to come up with examples of Christianity and Judaism portrayed in manga, but no one mentioned Islam).

[C] is my favorite anime this season (at least neck-and-neck with Tiger & Bunny, subject to the plot twists and endings of both. Here's hoping it will have some fun twists and a mind blowing ending! Very Happy
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Setting Koihime Musō aside, I want to mention that Daryl Surat calls Utena “one of the single greatest anime titles ever made” in the August 2011 Otaku USA magazine that just came out, and I agree with him.

To me, the artwork is what prevents me from calling Utena greatest ever, although it would easily make the list of must-see titles for any anime fan. The best thing about Utena? The music. The fight songs are some the of the best anime music out there.

Quote:
Back in the day, I only made it halfway through the Black Rose saga before the DVDs went out of print. I can't wait to see how it ends. Set two comes out on August 2nd.

The end is ever better than the first arc, and the symbolism gets really crazy. Look forward to it.

I didn't think Koihime Musou is that it isn't that bad of a show, really. The sequels, however, are godawful. The first series had a semblance of a plot and didn't get too over the top with the fetishes. Wait, did this one or next have the duck head innertube? I found that the most disturbing. Anyway, if you didn't like the first season, dread the next. I was considering buying this one, but if I did I would have to buy the next because I get OCD over completeness, and the second season isn't worth it. Besides, I already have a 1/7 scale Aisha figure, so I believe I have contributed enough to this franchise.

/I also have a collection of the h-scenes from the Koihime Musou game for ...uh... research purposes

//Side Note: When I was watching Hayate the Combat Butler during that whole Butler Tournament arc, and Hinagiku did that absolutely brilliant Utena parody -- that was the moment when I truly was happy to be alive.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:14 pm Reply with quote
[c] seems to be far more the current 'cancerous finance sector dragging down whole economies' texture than The Lost Decade ... after all, one of the things which helped throw the world economy in the toilet was CDO's, which were people making side bets on the collapse of companies and finance companies covering these bets with insufficient resources. The analogy to entre's making fabulous wealth as long as they win but coming back to a destroyed real world if they lose is striking.

mind, I don't expect any deep insight to arise out of the analogy, since after all it is a fight-kebab anime.
sepherest

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:18 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

The one thing I didn't like about Utena which made it seem way older than its setting, even when it first came out, was its generic 70s Charlie Brown-esque background music when nothing important was happening.

Utena had two different music composers, so that stuff's probably what was done by Shinkichi Mitsumune. J.A. Saezer did all the battle songs with the funky lyrics, and that's usually the ones people talk about when they mention how good Utena's music is.

As for Mitsumune I really liked what he did for the school's theme ("Scarlet"), but I think they stopped playing it after the first couple episodes. The film version of it is the best.
RapidEyeMovement

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Finally, someone who likes the "Absolute Destiny Apocalypse" song!
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Oh, you'll be at AWA? I look forward to seeing you there! Anime catgrin
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:20 pm Reply with quote
RapidEyeMovement wrote:
Finally, someone who likes the "Absolute Destiny Apocalypse" song!

Mokushi kushimo shimoku kumoshi moshiku shikumo...

I add my voice to Melancthon's: the final arc is insane. Prepare to have everything you thought you knew about the main characters dragged through the emotional wringer. Also, you will learn about the Car that they talk about in the booklet. Hoo boy, the Car...

This release is simply fantastic. I watched it the first time through on CPM DVDs from friends, and I am so glad I waited to buy this version. It looks great, it sounds amazing, it has really cool extras (though the "Rondo Revolution" music video was completely skippable). I am very excited about the next two releases -- and about what "special gift" I might be getting for pre-ordering all of them.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I've even heard the anime is better than the manga, in part because of Ikuhara's direction.

I believe it. I read the first volume of the manga, and it didn't impress me much. But I hear the anime is great. I'm definitely gonna check out Utena sometime.

But was the manga based on the anime, or was the anime based on the manga? I've heard two different sides to this, can anyone clear this up?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4