• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Comic Ranking, May 30-June 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sainta

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Why has D.Gray-man become so slow? I hope it doesn't become into another Hunter X Hunter
Jaymie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:30 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
Why has D.Gray-man become so slow? I hope it doesn't become into another Hunter X Hunter

A new volume every six months isn't terribly slow. It's slow for shonen, but it's better than HxH releasing a volume every year... if we're lucky.

Bakuman has really gotten popular. It was always an average seller before the Anime.

Madoka Magica has gotten popular as well!

Gate 7 is pretty impressive for a brand new series.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal's sales are awful. I guess people are starting to get sick of spin-offs.

Blue Exorcist is murdering the list. 30k in sales for volumes released years ago is amazing.

Enigma :') It's nice to see that it's on the list, even if its sales are pretty miniscule.
GordanHam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Well unfortunately due to the health of the author of D.Gray-Man she had to put her series on hiatus multiple times and then finally switch it over from weekly serialization in Shonen Jump to monthly serialization in Jump Square. This basically switched the output of volumes from 5 per year to 2 per year. Lately the manga has been on a steady pace though and she seems to be doing well, so that is good.

But man, I still wish that Claymore would get up there a little higher. Such a good manga. And I do believe that is the final volume of Steel Ball Run if I am not mistaken. I'm more interested in what Viz will be doing with the Jojo series, if they even do anything more, and Steel Ball Run seems like it might be one of the more relistic choices given it's titular separation from the Jojo series and being the newest part. I'm sure there will be a new Jojo part in Japan soon enough though.

And the image for Bleach Character Book 3 is actually the image for Bleach vol. 50.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Wow, 150k copies sold of the newest PMMM volume.

That's... a lot more than I was expecting.
momogoldfish

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Enigma made it onto the list too! (still waiting for my copy to arrive...). Hopefully it'll eventually get an anime.

I guess anime really does improve sales, look at Bakuman and Ao no Exorcist. Also Junjou mystique though that's a spin-off.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:51 pm Reply with quote
The Ao no Exorcist manga was really hard to find in Japan for a while. They didn't have any at the Animate in Kawagoe when I went last weekend but I was able to find the first 3 volumes at the one in Ikebukuro. The other volumes were sold out, but they had it restocked when I went yesterday so I picked up the latter 3 volumes. Currently reading vol.4! So good~
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Wow Enigma is there! Hope that one gets licensed by Viz!

AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Claymore! I wish it wasn't released so slowly Anime cry
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:08 am Reply with quote
Go Bakuman! Very Happy

Gate 7 seems to be doing really well. Still not sure if I should give it a go when it comes out in English... First volume is supposed to come out in October, right?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1